What was the last bit of gear you bought?

LP12 Sub-chassis - Keel.

Bought exdem, watched it being fitted yesterday and today in between other jobs listening to lots of Vinyl.

5 Likes

Yes Richard they are for wall plugs only. I wouldn’t dare go inside anything else! By the way, only 3 LPs in and already there is a marked improvement!

Sorry I meant to say they are sold by a UK business for UK plugs so meet the necessary regulations, otherwise I wouldn’t buy them :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Directional AC fuses… Jesus… I’ve heard it all now.

10 Likes

“Also it says to allow 200 -300 hours for burn in, so what is the best way to burn in?”

I am to understand that this phenomenon does not exist and can’t be measured. :grin:

I think the phrase is _ I’ll get me coat……

Scott

3 Likes

Funny, but …

As for which way round to fit it, Jason Gould advises as follows:

“If the kite safety mark is embossed on the edge of the of the fuse’s conductive cap the fuse value should point towards the bottom of the fuse holder. Should the kite mark be embossed on the very end of the fuse’s cap then the fuse value should face the top of the fuse holder”.

From the Naim fuse FAQ: Equipment Fuses

2 Likes

Just a word of caution: I once got my hands on a very nice chair and decided to wrap it with a protective cover because of the cats. They took to it nicely and scratched the cover a lot. So I was pleased that I had had such a good idea and protected the chair. Then one day they managed to poke a hole and scratched the chair. Exhausted, I removed the cover and for the next several years until their death they never even looked at the chair. I learned that it was the cover that they wanted to scratch, so this turned out not to have been such a great idea after all

3 Likes

If it is AC does it not just go backwards and forwards…

Think sine waves…

I see it has been said before, sorry to repeat comments

After much deliberation I have just pulled the trigger on a 300DR! A 2003 amp which was DR’d in 2018. As part of the deal it is also going back to Naim for a service. Got a good part exchange on my 200DR as well. Effectively it will be an almost new amp. Got it through Tom Tom, good people to deal with. I had made an enquiry about a 250DR which had already sold, ‘we have a 300DR coming in tomorrow though’ they said! Talk about good timing!! ETA is around 4 weeks once it has been serviced. Exciting times :grin:

18 Likes

Music for the new Kitchen. A Muso QB. It took a LOT of patience to get it to talk to my WiFi . There were never any explanations of what the problems were, just lots of unsuccessful searching for rooms and multiple reboots required. Got there in the end. Very happy with the sound. I had wondered what to expect tbh. It’s a good way ahead of Sonos products, but I’d still describe it as a super good beatbox, rather than a challenger for even a basic seperates system. I guess no surprise there. It’s great at what it does, just don’t expect miracles.

13 Likes

I have one of these in the gym at home. For the price of a hi-line it is excellent value and is just great for streaming Qobuz while I’m on the bike.

1 Like

Last time i took mine on a break……the wifi connection was a nightmare and the stupid pinhole….aggh. But once connected, great.

1 Like

Ah! The pinhole! “What colour is the LED now?”
Hands up for what they call Orange being much closer to Yellow?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I find it hard to take this seriously - it is such an ambiguous claim. 200-300 hours to burn in. 200-300 hours of what? Powered up time? Active playback at a sound pressure level above x? Continual current through the fuse of at least y amps?

How can direction be a thing for an AC circuit.

There’s a whiff of snake oil about this.

1 Like

Same wifi/connection issues with mine, but otherwise an excellent product - great design and awesome sound.

See post above Link Naim also advise on correct direction and positioning of the fuse.

I personally don’t know enough about the ins and outs of the interaction between the fuse and the rest of the system to be able to call it snake oil or not.

1 Like

Not exactly me but I swayed my stepfather and mother from spending £700 or so on a soundbar into buying an ex-demo Muso from my dealer. Happy first time Naim owners (in their 80s), happy dealer and I got a free lunch for my assistance.

13 Likes

Don’t forget that in an AC power line for instance, there is a net current flow into the power supply and that is powering devices and creating heat, so not all of the current flow goes out the return side of the wire. Not an EE, but this suggests that the mag field associated with the current flow is different on each half cycle when the voltage goes positive and negative alternately. Hence the name “alternating current”. An EE/Physics Majors out there with a better/correct explanation?

That’s interesting - I didn’t appreciate the Muso could be used as a sound bar with a TV. Presumably, the sound is a lot better than the average sound bar?

I think it’s time I started a company to manufacture a Faraday hood for HiFi racks. Keep all those nasty emfs out and for a bonus give the cats something to climb.

1 Like