What was the last bit of gear you bought?

I could not get on with Tidal, the top end just did not sound right, but i like Qobuz a lot. Worth a free trial imo.

I notice you have the RA powermax plus cables which seem to be quite good with naim amps. What are the titan cables and how do they compare in comparison to the RA ones, an improvement or not?

I’m thinking of purchasing a big orange the GR8 model for double insulated equipment such as the ps5 or the sony xh900 tv. It has a very good rep for picture quality improvement and was wondering whether to fit an equivelant ncf furutec fig of 8 connector as well for the ultimate PQ enhancement. How do you rate it?

The picture improvement was significant , I rate the Big Orange on my Sky box as one of the most cost effective purchases I have made.

They’re pretty similar to the RA cables tbh. No discernible difference to my ears. I’ve had the RA cables for 12 years but thought I’d try the Titan. They’re Helios range and the mains cable to the block is Audioquest NRG Z2. All very good quality. The Helios powers my NDX and 250DR at the moment

I had the RA powermax plus fitted with a clear missing link silver plated plug and a martin keiser rhodium plated iec and found it very suitable with my naim amp. It’s basically a Kimber pk14 power cable equivelant which are now over 50.00 per metre so the cost has increased markedly for this cable over the years. I purchased the ra one over 8 years ago for the princly sum of 34.00 so you can see how decent branded cables have sky rocketed at well above inflation rates although i know the ra pmax is no longer available in this form from ra.

My little EtherREGEN was getting all hot and bothered, so I got this.

Bit of a dilemma really. I am thinking good for cooling the ER but perfect for inducing added microphony.

Good or bad idea?

3 Likes

Not sure? But John Swenson the designer of the ER on the Uptone sponsored threads was dismissive, going as far to say they are designed to run hot , cooling them may affect sound quality. I just placed mine on a £10 granite chopping board from Dunelm to protect the carpet behind the fraim. I think @frenchrooster has added a heat sink as well…you guys no how to flash the cash😉

1 Like

I am listening to a favourite album now and can’t detect any SQ difference. But I am thinking the rather hot operating conditions would have a long term effect on the ER, if any at all.

@frenchrooster, what are your thoughts?

(Apologies to the OP for the very temporary diversion).

1 Like

I have the same, but under it. Works fine since July. The Uptone designer wrote that it’s possible to place something from metal under the ER to cool down and for microphony.

FR, if fins were placed under the ER, it would be raised off its rubber isolation feet. Surely this would increase any potential for microphony?

I don’t think so, because the metal is better against microphony vs the rubber feet. At least I think so Nigel. Try both and see if there is a difference in sound. But for me placing it under works best, it’s more stable and the Ethernet cables are araised.

Metal fins will surely pick up vibrations (both airborne and conducted) and transmit them to the ER more than rubber feet will.

These fins will not fit under my ER because of the rubber feet and I am not going to remove those.

No big deal either way, the fins were cheap and I fancied a play.

I’ve bought a three headed Grahams Hydra to replace a MusicWorks mains block and four Powerlines. The Hydra cost me £170 whereas the previous stuff would be £3,700 new. Is the Hydra noticeably worse? Not really. Is it much smaller and easier to place? Most definitely.

2 Likes

Why not wrap it in a plastic bag and hang it out of the window?

2 Likes

I would just put a book over it :-).

Nigel, on the AS forum, John Swenson himself responded to several questions about the ER running hot. He said that it’s possible to put under it a piece of metal to cool it down and add some isolation from vibrations.
I have 2 little fan pieces like you, just under the ER, and for me it sounds better like this. Why not try and compare?
Without the fans under, my ER is not sitting correctly, because my audioquest diamonds are heavy and are araising the ER from one side.
I compared both set up and prefer that one.
My fans are less big than yours and fit well between the rubber feets.

Just did an A/B test with and without the fins on top of the ER. The fins on top robs some life from the music and adds some thickening. I am also sure I got a tiny static shock when I lifted the fins off the ER. Not good.

I am sticking with sans fins.

HH, as always thank you for your invaluable advice, though I am going to pass on this occasion.

I think we should finish this diversion here.

I am trying again now without the fans under. Will report if I hear a difference.

The opposite of, or the same as, confirmation bias?

My brain hurts!