What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Same here, when we were buying at least. It’s part of the reason we ended up with the Star instead of the Nova. This was helped by the fact that we didn’t find the difference with the Nova that big compared to the additional cost. Although now, she has converted and streams mostly. (Spotify, can’t get her to use Tidal so have both)

But she did get me back into vinyl :slight_smile:

@frenchrooster, at the risk of prolonging this diversion, I am interested to hear the findings of your with/without fins test.

1 Like

I need some time, because on first impressions I don’t hear differences for one track. I was not listening to music since one hour too.
I removed the fans and it’s even stable now. So will say later for the sound, I promise.
However this summer the ER was a bit cooler with the fans. It was very hot some days when 35C outside.

1 Like

The last thing I bought for my system was a 10x10x2 cm thick iron plate. I feel a bit weird by saying this in public, but this improved the performance of the eR. I also put 4 small Oehlbach rubber feet underneath the iron.

Your secret is safe with me.

2 Likes

I now just listened to 5 tracks and prefer with the metal pieces fans under the ER. The bass is better controlled and there is a bit more fluency.
So as John Swenson said, it brings some isolation against vibrations. Rubber feets can be improved.

1 Like

SSC Netpoint 300

2 Likes

Mark Grant HDX1 Pure Copper Digital Coax BNC cables

9 Likes

Interesting.

I might try my fins underneath the ER and put some feet on the fins.

And me

Or also you can just put something hard like granite, slice of metal…under the ER. Or a bigger fan that let the ER sit on it.

Should have got the EE8 folks, nice and cool :sunglasses::cold_face:

3 Likes

The ER works very good already without an additional ps, without additional isolation feet, and fan.
I am quite sure that EE can improve with a good linear ps and isolation devices too.

It’s no fun for those living in Tweakers’ Paradise though.

1 Like

I considered both the EE8 and the ER. I even heard the EE8 demo’d at the Bristol Show. I went for the ER on the balance of feedback on both, in the knowledge I had a 14 day return window.

Obviously I can’t compare the EE8 and ER in my system. All I know is the ER has made a significant improvement to SQ, and I am sure the EE8 also benefits SQ.

The ER offers great VFM IMV and it has improved further with the replacement of Vodka streaming cables (in and out) with DesignaCable CatSnake 6a ethernet cables. I have already sold one Vodka on and will be selling the other. So this tweak actually produced some cash!

Unfortunately the cooling fins (only £10) didn’t work out for me. But, yes, it is well worth tweaking your ER or EE8, though I am not sure I will be going for a posh LPS as they cost considerably more than the tweaks I have tried so far.

My Etna SL is boxed and off for a rebuild. Mounted my stand-in today…AT Art-1000. Very unique cartridge design and breaking in nicely. Thanks to my always excellent dealer, Cymbiosis, for the super quick delivery across the pond :slight_smile:
Also @ricsimas- thanks for the feedback and tips. I concur with your findings- she tracks like the devil!

18 Likes

Looks lovely! Hope you enjoy it. I don’t think there’s anything quite like it around.

So far, so good :slight_smile: Very nimble with explosive dynamics. Reminds me a bit of the Kandid in that regard but adds a much more textured and organic tonality that the Kandid never could achieve. I am looking forward to what it turns into after a dozen or so LP’s- I am very optimistic! Thanks again for your insight. Be well
Mark

You pretty much described why I upgrade. The proverbial veil was lifted, and it actually sounded natural.

Plus, it tracks everything, which is a trait I do really value.

1 Like