What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Just picked up a 555 PS. I’ve wondered for years what this PS brings to the party so I’m anxious to find out.

6 Likes

I’ve just picked up another Naim print to go with my “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your Naim”
:smiley:

16 Likes

![image|500x500](upload://fCKWK9rByFHIZGYCCbZORQ8OzuS.jpe

Picked up a Gigawatt PF-1 evo powerstrip with HF filter and Powersync powercable last Saturday. Just installed it. First impressions are a quieter background and better separation of instruments and more realistic sound e.g. cymbals sound more metallic and guitars have more sustain.

image|690x474

Ps. The photo says [processing: ] on my screen. Do you see a picture or text?

Should be any day now…

That’s good. Mine is slowly changing and sounding better. There’s some warmth in the vocals now, I can place instruments better.

1 Like

No picture I’m afraid…

I see text. That usually means you posted before the image was properly uploaded.

Strange. I get thru the uploading cycle under the message and then the text instead of the photo is shown. Do I need to make adjustments to my settings in my profile? Last week al was fine and posted a picture of my latest vinyl additions.

@Rene

Ps. The photo says [processing: ] on my screen. Do you see a picture or text?

Your image could be too large for the forum, or your connection not adequate to upload it in good time. Try reducing the file size of the image (if you are able) and reupload.

1 Like

So you have 3x €700,- powerlines, and then you extend them with 3x €7,- extension cables?

3 Likes

Do you really think that the power inlet plugs on Naim or any other brand for that matter cost more than €7? Think again! This is just the same but at least I can use them now.

Delayed response to this one!
I’ll admit it didn’t start as a planned purchase, and originally I had a mind to get them to act as rear channel speakers in a 5.1 setup with Kanta 2’s up front.
It also happened that I sourced more PMC speakers recently meaning I was able to build up a 5.1 setup based in the main around my existing PMC OB1i’s which I’ve used in my various Naim systems for some time now.
The other key change was moving house at the start of this year and the room changing size and material mix. I figured a smaller speaker would suit the smaller room a bit better than the large PMC’s. It’s around 3.5m x 3.5m roughly but used only for listening to music.
I’d say they’re quite a bit different to the PMC’s, more apparent upper mids to treble ranges and with a more 3 dimensional sound stage. The bass, being rear ported, is more than I expected and they appreciate being in to the room a bit as a result otherwise they can be a bit boomy, that took some trial and error to get to where I wanted it relative to my listening position and to avoid any standing waves.
A little toe in experimentation is worth doing as well, they do benefit from it, depending on room dimensions.
I’ve had some longer listening sessions, I’d imagine their tweeters won’t be to everyones liking despite the positive speed and soundstage characteristics. They match well with the SN3 + NDX 2 overall and have no issue getting loud around the 9-10 O’Clock mark, their sound does appear to exceed their dimensions if that makes sense.
I’d say if you were serious about getting a pair to give them a good try at home and do a longer listening session of an hour or two to make sure they suit your ears and room.
I’ve not had much time to sit and listen lately but as I’ve had more mileage with them I’ll report any additional findings if of interest.

2 Likes

Thank you Mr.m, that’s very useful info from you as i have been doing some online searching that seems to match your experience also. Yes a home demo is a must. The rear port maybe a bit of a problem here as i don’t really have much room to play with. Sadly my local dealer doesn’t stock Focal speakers anymore either. Good to know the NDX 2 & SN3 are a great match from a compatible sense. Thanks again. Enjoy.

Bored of your N-Sats already, Stephen?!

1 Like

No, far from it. The n-SATs are staying here for good, amazing little speakers! For some silly strange reason, of which i just cannot explain, i’ve always fancied a pair of Kanta 1s, hoping that they’ll be this wonder speaker for the NDX 2 & SN3, far exceeding that of the nSATs, (a beefier modern day equivalent maybe?). Maybe relegate my n-SATs into a second system? I’m just dreaming i guess… :wink:

3 Likes

Didn’t you buy these for your son, or something like this?

He wants Allaes :flushed:

2 Likes

If you want something better with the PRaT of the N-Sats get SBLs/SL2’s or ATC’s

No problem, happy to share findings as always. They’re certainly able to produce quite a lump of bass for their size. Having had front port ATL based PMC’s for a while that was an adjustment to make, the PMC’s were happier a bit closer to the rear wall inevitably.
Might be worth planning a day trip up to the Focal/Naim experience area at Sevenoaks, that’s not too far from Pompey.
The beryllium tweeter is fast and accurate but again will be somewhat room dependent, I do find it interacts with the room a fair bit more than the PMC’s did. I’m planning some GIK Accoustics or similar room treatments in the future as well.

2 Likes