What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Thanks, sorry, just read your posts in Systems thread.
Not familiar with Rega carts. Did you sell on your 2M?

So these just arrived. A 4m pair of NACA5 (which I found discounted as open box!) for my new SN3.
It will be a month before I try them, as the SN3 settles in. At the moment I am running a 2.5m pair of Tellurium Q Ultra Black II. It all sounds very good, and they are my established system cables. So as long as the SN3 seems happy its hard to envision what improvement will be made.

5 Likes

You need the yellow mat to match

1 Like

Mrs HH says no I don’t! We have a picture above the Rega that has both red and yellow, so it’s all good.

2 Likes

My Rega P9 with Exact + Stageline/HiCap/NaitXS was the combination that gave me the strongest goosebumps when listening to Nina Simone - unmatched by anything after that.

I often think of this combination and what I have lost and gained with all the upgrades since then.

2 Likes

Hi, Nigel.

I am particularly interested and glad to hear about your impressions re surface noise!

I was surprised how my Planar3 with Elys and Exact was such a wizard at hiding surface noise without rolling off the treble. Amazing. Rega reset the bar for me, in my limited experience.

I wasn’t prompted to say so while you were happy with something else I had not tried.

Cheers and enjoy!

Nick

2 Likes

The Exact matches really well the the Naim phono stages.

2 Likes

Sounds so much better than having the LP12 on Lack and the KRadikal on the floor but it does not look good at all.

7 Likes

Very interesting HH I’m always interested in trying new cartridges how would you describe the difference between the Ortofon and the Rega apart from surface noise?

I alternate between three Audio Technica styli at the moment all MM because like you I find that on some records the surface noise especially with the most expensive one can be mildly annoying though on other records it sounds just right. I have stuck with Audio Technica mainly because all three use the same cartridge body so it’s very easy to swap between them but it would be nice to find a cartridge that doesn’t require changing on some pressings.

The Rega seems a bit easier going, and perhaps more engaging. Maybe there is less detail, but I’ve always prioritised musical communication.

I know Rega say the tracking angle doesn’t matter. The 2M is 4mm higher and I had a 2mm spacer. Whether this affected the Shibata stylus I don’t know. I’ve also been able to ditch the spacer, which must compromise rigidity of the arm/plinth interface. The Exact doesn’t always get glowing reviews - maybe if it cost twice as much it would be taken more seriously? The three point mounting is great for a Rega arm though - no pesky protractor required.

5 Likes

Which audio Technica cartridges are you using and what do you find on each? Thanks Stephen

Replacement for my P25, which is packed back into its original box for the first time in 23 years, ready for its new owner.

12 Likes

Nice mat / cartridge red thing going on there.

1 Like

A PSX-R2 to go with my Cyrus Signature Phono. Nice uplift in every aspect.
I’m needing to shift a few things around in my rack to accommodate properly, in the meantime I’ve just separated them with Isoacoustics Orea’s.

8 Likes

Today I purchased this small gadget, and is a joy to use.

It’s not high end but I Am loving it.

8 Likes

What happens ?
David

There is a short storey to be told, David. Will get a thread going on it soon, when I get time.

1 Like

How do you like it compared to the 2m black? Any better any worse? Similar etc?

Jumpers are what I need to make the NAC05 work with my MA SE20 25th Anniversary….

1 Like

P6?

It looks rather swish