What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Just in time to box them up for long term storage/sale.

What do you mean more precisely, ChrisSU?
I use « Amp mode » at -12 of my TT2, and the volume of my NAC 202 is always under 9:00.

David

I vaguely recall the advice with the Mk1 Hugo was to set the volume at ‘turquoise’ for optimal sound quality (this may have been @Simon-in-Suffolk ’s suggestion?) but I just gradually dialled it down until it sounded best by ear. With Dave I did the same at first although I no longer run it into a Naim preamp.

1 Like

May I ask ?
Is that because they didn’t cure the issues with your neighbours or that you didn’t like what they did in your system.
Thanks

Got them from Amazon. Cable Clips with Strong Self-Adhesive, XIAOXI Multipurpose Wire Clamps for Cable Management and Cable Runs, TV PC Wire Holder Sticky Tidy - White (20pcs)

1 Like

Hi Chris, indeed, I used the same technique, ‘tuned’ by ear… and found turquoise sounded the ‘sweetest’ for me into a Naim NAC.

2 Likes

@SRO I think I found it. Thanks man !! I will order them as well
Iver

Got one of these TEAC ADC boxes on it’s way. A new toy in digitizing old vinyl I pick up.

SD-500HR

10 Likes

Great fun! Please do tell us how you get on with it.

It’s all a bit of a gamble. My Luxman SQ-N150 has a great phono stage but no tape loop or pre out. I’ve ordered a 6.35mm singled ended to 2xRCA from Atlas to take from the headphone out.

As I’m sure you have gathered on here I have played around a lot with a number of digital recorders over the years, my two favourites being the Sony PCM-D50 (which I ended up preferring to the later D100 I had as well as the M10) and the Marantz PMD671. I think overall I prefer the sounds of the ADCs in the Marantz and it’s easier to use and with better connections too. The 24/96 limitation is fine too as it’s more than good enough for most needs and the files sizes remain reasonable.

This Teac looks great though and I’d love to have one to play with a bit to see how it fares.

3 Likes

Very interested to see how you get on with that, planning a similar mix tapes transfer exercise.

Oh no… I bought new speakers which will be here tomorrow.

2 Likes

Wow that looks interesting. Could be what I am looking for also. Please post your thoughts on ease of use and sound quality of the digital files.
Hmm availability in the U.K. seems a possible issue.

One of the interesting things about DACs is that their reconstruction is based on guesswork because they don’t know how the data was constructed in the first place - they generally only know the format. And by all accounts, they do a very good job.

That changes of course where a specific DAC chip doing the decoding is the partner of the ADC chip that did the encoding. That matched partnership can achieve things that more exotic DACs cannot, because they are cheating in a way since they are a matched pair.

The TEAC uses a Burr-Brown 1795K DAC and matching ADC pair. And my Luxman DAC also happens to use a BB 1795K. It’s not an expensive box at all, but I have high hopes for it.

Almost brand new secondhand Chord Signature rca interlink.

6 Likes

Congrats, HiFiMan - you got a proper pre! :grinning:

I’d love to hear that one day.

I now have my ND5XS2 back with new NP800 streaming board, and the whole system has fallen into its new plateau state.

The NAP 135s let more music through, the SL2s have their new foam and serviced crossovers, the 6-way Musicline Powerigel is an improvement over the Graham’s Hydra.

Just waiting for a pair of Morgana mono din to xlrs and I’m a done dog.

6 Likes

Thanks Jim, now that lockdown is over you’re more than welcome to pop over for a listen, Dave with the 252 is a real ear opener.

Let me know how you get on with the Morgana cables when they arrive its something I’ve had my eye on for sometime also pleased the return of the ND5XS2 has restored balance to your setup.

1 Like

Thanks, that sounds great.
Jim

Great news and pretty fast. What was the final diagnosis ?