What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Yes, amazingly fast service.

They just replaced the NP800, so it must have fried.

Now every tune I listen to is the best I’ve ever heard!

4 Likes

Let me know how you get on. As you will no doubt be discovering analogue to digital to sound its best is non straightforward… certainly if to be played on other equipment… but all good fun :grinning:
What dither if any do you use that sounds best on your replay? (I use triangular) Also level is often challenge… what do you run at -3 or -6 dBFS? I usually leave between 3 and 6 … especially If I might be transcoding to AAC or MP3 down stream. Those intersample clipping issues can really get in the way and spoil the SQ of a rendering.

3 new shelves. Moved pre away from NDS and up on top temporarily. Sound much better. But I need the shelf for the coming vinyl player. Maybe just take the one from the top of the right stack but then I start to wonder how it would impact sound if I moved the 555 to the top and hence away from the 250DR. Hmm…

And if you wonder about the Olive Hicap not on any shelf it’s there because every other week I switch between that and the DR on the rack. I am evaluating which one I prefer.

7 Likes

Thanks Simon. It will be a learning experience. The turntable already has a built-in phono stage with USB out which I played with recording to Audacity. Fair enough to say “that works” but nothing more. A far cry from the superior phono stage on the amp.

Given that ADCs aren’t crazy money, it seemed like a way to spice up the digitization project.

Topping D10s. Since I still have a few free months left on Apple Music I could not resist to play around with AM high-res. I used the D10s as USB to SPDIF converter to feed my Naim nDAC. Source was my iPhone (or iPad) using the Apple lighting to USB3 camera adapter into the D10s.
The setup worked as expected, but is a pain to control since there is no way to remote control the music (except for some basic commands via Siri). I gave up after a day and will continue to use Roon with Qobuz which is much more convenient.
The D10s is now parked in my office headphone system and I will probably keep it because of its versatility (DAC and USB/SPDIF converter).

2 Likes

New (ex-demo) ND555 streamer installed today. Got a very good deal, particularly given the forthcoming price rises.

The NDX2 is good, but my initial reaction is one of astonishment. This is in a different league altogether. I’m extremely happy, but it’s now time to lock the cheque book away…

20 Likes

Lol… apropos of nothing, the Coach handbag I bought my wife is bloody gorgeous. A thing of sheer visual joy. As for shoes…I wouldn’t swap my Edward Green brogues for a box of Burndy’s.

Just realised, this was intended for another thread. Oops. So it really is apropos of nothing!

Sigh. Old men and mobiles, eh…

3 Likes

I had listened to the nd555 a number of times at large demos and was not that impressed. When i had a demo of ndx2 and nd555 i had sort of thought i would be walking out the store with an ndx2. It was the first piano notes from a Dr John song…….i had to buy it. Enjoy, sounds like a bargain too! try not to listen to 2x555ps😉

3 Likes

Just replaced my Chord Signature XL speaker cables with Tellurium Q Ultra Black II. Straight out of the box the Tellurium sound infinitely better than the Chord cables. I’m using the Tellurium with a Nova, ProAc Response D20 speakers and Naim Powerline.

4 Likes

Do you find any issues with having the Sky Q box so close to the sensitive Naim bits?

My one seems very noisy

I’ve had the Sky box in the same rack as my audio gear for years and never had any issues.

1 Like

Oh dear, what could this mean… Stay tuned! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Just ordered this fine chord signature XL speaker cable.

7 Likes

My experience was identical to yours. I thought the NDX2 with 555PS was excellent but then the ND555 arrived.

Dragonfly Cobalt Dac to play hi res files from my computer (and my phone if I want to)…

Chord clearway 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 x RCA to go from headphone socket to amp.

Any advice on how far to keep the computer away from the amp? - I can put it on 2nd shelf above the amp or place it on a wood slab on the floor further away when in use.

5 Likes

New paint for the frames of the windows above the store?

I won’t mention that to Simon…. :sunglasses:

1 Like

So… what’s in the box? This is as much of a tease for me, because I can’t install it until this evening! (Obviously I know what’s in the box…) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

282?

1 Like

More Waitrose bags?

2 Likes