What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Kunst Koncrete.
Ooh that’s very nice :sunglasses:

Some more blackness…
A secondhand Astell & Kern AK70Mk2, my first decent DAP and first streaming solution for an otherwise Vinyl system.

4 Likes

Very sweet sound

I’m pleased to add my latest purchases to this thread, a Berkeley Audio DAC Reference Series Two! And it’s partner, The Berkeley Alpha USB.

Disclaimer: The photo I used of the DAC is the Three, but it looks identical to my Two. Both my acquisitions are used and in 10/10 condition. In fact the Alpha USB was only in use for 9 days! The Berkeley DAC replaced the very well rated and regarded Audio Alchemy DDP-1 which I absolutely LOVED, but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to own my exquisite sounding new DAC at a steal of a price. It does not disappoint!

The much loved Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC will not be discarded, it will become the DAC for my Windows Computer music system and will be paired with my Audiomat Arpege tube amp and Spendor S3/5 Speakers, a sweet combination.

3 Likes

and how the sound of the berkeley reference? i know it’s a top dac. But is it really involving also ?

Shunyata Research Alpha EF Power Cord… Just came in the mail…

2 Likes

I will give it a try to answer your question but it will be a little roundabout. . At first I was surprised that I didn’t find it all that different from my Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC that I found so engaging. What was often said about the DDP-1 was that it could compete with DACs at many times its cost. My experience suggests that’s true but better. And so yes, I find the Berkeley wonderfully appealing. But I don’t really know how to define engaging. For me I think that depends on the music.

2 Likes

About to take the plunge with one myself. Are you running Logitech Media Server? I was planning, in the first instance, to use it to get LMS off my main computer and carry on with my Squeezebox Duet wi-fi set up (my hifi is miles from the router). I was then going to experiment with moving the Prestige 3 over to the hifi, connecting it to the network via a mains extender and directly feeding my DAC (doing away with the SB receiver). If that works - next step was a new DAC (probably a Qutest) and then trying out Roon and Qobuz (currently use Deezer). Be interested to know how you have things configured.

Good Evening All,

My most recent purchase was a Linn Akurate DS/3 Katalyst partnered with a Synology DS218j NAS, prior to that it was a Hiccup DR to replace the Hicap powering my SNAXO 3-6.

Regards

Richard

2 Likes

Under the hood of the Audiostore box is a Squeezelite - I’m not sure what it does - and something from the Small Green Computer people called a Sonicorbiter that allows me to use my NDS over my Ethernet.
It also has MinimServer installed as the UPnP; it’s not as intuitive as Asset but it does the job if I’m not using Roon on my Unitiqutes.

Apologies for lack of tech savvy… I’ll get the hang of it someday.

1 Like

These Titans

22 Likes

Project VC-S MK2… something to keep me busy over the approaching winter months

5 Likes

My local dealer in S W London has suggested I try the Collaro Audio mat to replace the existing felt mat on my LP12. An easy swap and not expensive by Linn/Naim prices. They are awaiting a fresh supply of mats. Any thoughts on this upgrade would be helpful.
Douglas.

In July I replaced my existing MC cartridge with a Lyra Etna SL in my heavily modified Tangerine Audio LP12. It already sounded pretty stunning but there is always more. How can a cartridge at this price point be justified? You can spend more: Lyra Atlas or the Ortofon in the latest HFN. All I can say is it was worth doing. Just did’nt realise how good the sound from the good old LP can be.

Douglas,

A 3d printer…

so that I can print brackets to hold loops of nylon cord that will prevent the cables at the back of my rack touching each other or touching the floor.

2 Likes

Douglas
I’ve been very lazy and have not yet fitted the new mat.
For what it’s worth, I note that Cymbiosis are now stocking it, which is a bit of an endorsement from Peter in itself!
On the facebook collective, I have only seen positive comments - remarkably positive at that. I understand that Collaro will refund if you are not happy.
One interesting comment I came across this week from Collaro hinted that they are experimenting a bit further with the mat composition for Aro users. Perhaps an implication that it may be optimal for Linn armed LP12s? In the exchange of comments the chap from Collaro volunteered that they would swap over the Aro version if someone has recently purchased the current mat and finds the Aro version an improvement - provided of course that Collaro’s further experiments conclude that there are indeed improvement to be had!

Peter

2 Likes

It was a while ago, but the latest box was a NAP 500, since converted to DR. Very pleased.

northpole, this replacement mat was flagged up by Mike from Infidelity, K-o-Thames as being worthwhile. If you don’t like it just bring it back. Fair enough. Yes, I heard about the Aro version.
Collaro website mention optimising the position of the inner and outer platters on the LP12. Make a pencil mark and rotate the outer accordingly. Supposed to balance the TT in a similar way to balancing a car tyre
Douglas.

1 Like

The ND555 about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Sounding rather splendid playing a bit of Ray Brown at the moment, though it sounded rubbish about nine days ago for a day

3 Likes

I can attest to the improvement that this Collaro mat makes having had an A/B demo on Mike’s own set-up. For the price it is a ridiculously cheap upgrade.

2 Likes