What was the last bit of gear you bought?

@Lucifer correct, that’s indeed my stacking order

got some very good advice from my dealer yesterday: on the right hand of the set (not on picture) I have a NAS, a NUC and switches. Both the NAS and NUC have fans in them who apparently generate some noise (not only sound but electric noise) that can affect the system. So I will move the nAS to another area in the house and the NUC will be placed into a dedicated box that has a better (less noisy) fan

Iver

2 Likes

A Witch Hat Morgana DIN - DIN cable to connect NDS & 252.

My previous WH upgrades (Phantom speaker cable and DIN - XLR cable for the 250 DR) were a step in the right direction, but there’s more of a wow / grin factor with this one. Better instrument timbres. Previously muffled vocals are clearer.

Seems that source first applies to cables as well as boxes!

2 Likes

Possibly a cumulative effect of the two Morgana cables? I have DIN to DIN between NDX2 and 282. I now have a DIN / XLR arriving soon so I am hoping my cumulative effect theory is correct!

1 Like

I would concur with you on that. I have the same cables as you and it was the connection between NDX2 and 282 that made the biggest difference.

1 Like

This pretty little thing arrived today. The polished arm and ceramic platter are just so beautifully finished, it’s quite extraordinary really.

40 Likes

Oh wow, that P8 didn’t last very long. Congrats. I kind of warned you :smiley:

2 Likes

I think the contrast of the platter and arm suit the overall design better than in P8 guise where everything is black.

That looks stunning HH, congrats! I’m assuming you switched the cartridge a cross from your P8? If that’s the case then I’m interested in your observations in terms of the differences between the P8 v P10?

Happy boy here. Ordered on 11/5 received today 11/12. I’m in the US and my dealer had several on order, 2 came in and I got one! Needless to say I love this dealer.

18 Likes

SupercapDR. Dealer made me deal I couldn’t refuse. Picking up tomorrow. All done expect for speaker upgrade in the future.

2 Likes

The last bit of gear I bought is still this:

(November was 2018)
I had thought that after retiring I might review and change some things, but too much else to do - and at present nothing is causing me to want to go to the effort.

1 Like

Someone make you an offer you couldn’t resist!

Sorry, I’ll get me coat.

If they do it might tempt! Actually there’s a few things I’d be interested in hearing, just no impetus to do so.

Yes, it’s the same cartridge. First impressions are that it’s just more natural and engaging. Simply better, which is what you’d expect really. I particularly like the power supply; you can press the buttons without having to hold it in place, which was necessary with the little Neo. I suspect the wood finish on the shelf was the cause.

1 Like

Bon Weekend

11 Likes

I don’t wish to alarm you but we’ve all said that!:joy:

2 Likes

Just so pleased with the 282! Bigger sound stage, somehow more natural sounding and greater engagement for me in the music. Friend came round yesterday and just having Radio Paradise on in the background he asked “How many speakers, 5?” When I said just the two he was quite stunned.

8 Likes

That’s not a bad place to be - keep up the interest but avoid the faff.

1 Like

Well, I happened to email WH asking where they were on Thursday. I almost didn’t do it because I don’t like chasing people and they had said the cables would take up to 5 weeks and I had only waited 4 weeks.

But the bloke at WH told me the cables had been sitting in the shop round the corner for 10 days!

UPS had failed to email or text me.

I cycled to the shop and there they were, in a crushed box in the corner of the shop.

The inner white cardboard box was hardly dented though, and the inner inner stronger box was fine.

I carefully put the cables in a they sounded chunky, but a bit sour.

I have left them running most of past few days and I had started to look into getting a good pair of cheaper cables from designacable to compare them to - but then this morning (avec hangover) suddenly they came into form and sound brilliant.

The system has taken a large step up.

The 30 year old original cables were indeed a major bottleneck.

I am astounded and delighted.

@Bluesfan thank you for the nudge to try these Morgana din-to-xlrs on my NAP135s - I now see how good they are.

5 Likes

Related story: a non-audiophile friend visited recently & was struggling to understand why my Naim system had expanded from 3 to 5 boxes.

Friend: Wow, it must sound amazing with headphones!

Me: Hmm, ahh… actually, it can’t play headphones

Friend: :flushed:

(Situation now rectified with Sennheiser HD650 & Earmax-Pro headphone amp.)

2 Likes