What was the last bit of gear you bought?

You can thanks us indeed. We have paid your system with our hearts, without spending our money. The forum is magical !
:rofl:

1 Like

Looking good!

2 Likes

Interesting that you ask about the Isoacoustics platform, because they aren’t :slight_smile: They are Sicomin bases and are not available new anymore. Also a bit difficult to source used, as those who have them don’t seem to sell them often. Took me a year to get the 13 I have now and I might have exhausted the world supply in Naim-sized ones :slight_smile: In the pic I have one under each device (two narrow ones for the Aria and Neo), and I have two additional ones for my CDS3/XPS2 that will be added to the right stack but are off to service right now, and two small ones for the PowerIgel and the 8switch. 13 bases weren’t really cheap either, but they are very cost effective as they can be had for like a fifth of what the Finite Elemente Carbofibre bases sell new, which are so extremely similar that I wonder if the Sicomin bases aren’t the granddaddy/inspiration.

I wrote about them a bit in this post and two subsequent ones:

It’s from Creaktiv, a German rack builder. It’s the Trend model, the lowest one in their range. The shelves are MDF and the pillars are metal filled with sand. I pimped mine with the Sicomin bases, see my previous post. The rack is available with different numbers of levels and finishes, in single-, double-, and triple-width. A single-width rack with four levels costs 477 EUR, and additional levels are 145 (shelf and four pillars).

Creaktiv make pretty cool audio furniture as well, and they also offer customization for most (all?) products (sizes, pillar heights, finishes and colors). I already owned the rack that now became the brains stack on the left in standard width, which is a bit wider than you really need for Naim. I thought about a Fraim, but two stacks are simply too wide for me, I would have barely been able to squeeze through the gap between the rack and furniture. With Creaktiv, I could order the brawns stack with customized, smaller width :+1: (5cm less depth would have also been nice and possible, but as I already had the parts for the brains stack I left it at that)

1 Like

Strictly speaking, some of it was purchased awhile back, but finally put to use. Linn lp-12 upgraded with karousel and lingo 4 all of which now goes to Rega Aura instead of a prefix. Sounding very good. The really last purchase was a pkg. of mo-fi inner sleeves to replace some of the paper ones that have turned to dust.

Hi Ian…Sorry for the delay replying. The isoAcoustics Delos has been fantastic. After I put it on my wall shelf it really tightened up the bass response, which helped with better definition across the range. It also allowed me to remove the wall shelf altogether and resite the turntable on top of my Fraim brain stack, without any footfall problems in the room. That was not possible for me before.

Bottom line is I recommend it enthusiastically. I also like the isoAcoustics Gaia feet for my speakers, pretty much for the same reasons. Effective isolation can be biggest bang for the buck among system tweaks.

1 Like

Many thanks, love :heart: :heart::heart: Your system .

1 Like

Thank you. We’re really happy with how it has come out. I don’t even have upgrades on the radar anymore. The system sounds great and collecting vinyl brings us joy (as do our rottie companions).

2 Likes

Just noticed you have Monitor Audio Gold GX200s. I have the Gold GX300s.

Do not listen to those who say MA speakers and Naim don’t mix (although I guess there are some MA models that don’t). I have kept my GX300s from my Uniti all the way through to my system today. These speakers have grown through all the upgrades and have clearly expressed the uplift in SQ all along the way.

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Melco N1A EX digital music library arrived today so can get rid of QNAP storage. That’s my afternoon sorted!

14 Likes

Two items that within the last month; first, some storage boxes for my vinyl that had been released from storage. Second, my first TT in nearly 30 years was picked up and installed: LP12, Lingo 2, Ittok XVII and AT cartridge.

When I picked the TT up I commented that the last LP12 I had had was a disappointment because it was great for jazz and classical, but was underwhelming with contemporary jock and folk. It was pointed out to me that might have been caused by having the felt mat upside down!

9 Likes

While one of my SuperUnitis is off for a holiday in Salisbury, I was going to make do with my old Unitilite in one of my secondary systems. But too many glasses of wine and eBay being a toxic combination, I found myself winning an auction for a 6 month old Nova, that I picked up from the seller last weekend. It’s refurbished grade B, which means that it has a small mark or defect on the case or front panel, but I can’t find it.

It sounds really great and I’m very pleased with it. I haven’t started beta testing on it yet though. I thought I would get myself used to it first before starting it on a high octane diet of new betas!

Best

David

10 Likes

So this Lp12 had not worked since 30 years ? It doesn’t need some service ?
And how the sound now?
Hope you are well by the way😊

1 Like

I should have been clearer - all well thanks as it’s a bread making day.
I bought my first LP12 in the early 80’s, had the experience mentioned above so traded it in for a Roxsan Xerxes, which my brother has (but does not use as the plinth is warped - prohibitive to replace, and the main man from Roksan has moved to Vertere I believe).
So when I unearthed my vinyl (500 LPs and singles), I thought I would try again. I considered Rega, having heard one at @Filipe, but decided to buy 2nd hand from Cymbiosis - also thanks to Phil’s experience.
I am now slowly discovering my music from 30 years ago - some shockers there I must say! I would say the LP12 produces a better atmosphere when compared to the NDS, and I don’t notice the odd crackle and pop.
My intention was to digitise those records I still liked after all these years; now I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t :slight_smile: I already had them and the new system would certainly warrant a massive speaker upgrade, but I like them a lot and I agree that hey have grown nicely with the additions over the past 6 months. Even when I added only the 300 in June (and used mainly a Nova in front of it until now) they were transformed into new speakers. I wrote back then that the price of the 300 looks different if you also get new speakers thrown in.

The 200 is a nice size too and most more expensive speakers are massive. I sit rather close (2.6 meter triangle) and if I put large B&Ws in this place I’d continuously feel like getting run over by a tank.
I’ll upgrade at some point, but it’s a whole new huge topic, for now it sounds wonderful, I am happy to finally listen to music again instead of unit comparisons, and recovering the funds will take some time :slight_smile:

When you visited I had just got my Pre Loved 552/500 from Cymbiosis. I must admit that the system was not at it’s best in those early days. I’m glad you are happy with your LP12. Must get together when we are allowed to.

Phil

1 Like

A few months ago, I had a dedicated spur installed so my system now has power without interference of anything else in the house. The spur itself is AHP KlangModule. I used Supra cable which in the end goes to a newly purchased Furutech TP60e block. From this block three Naim Powerlines feed all my PSU’s. Very happy with it.

I also « blindly » bought the Forester F1 psu to feed my Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch. Small, but nice uplift giving better sepration and articulation of instruments

Lastly, after many years of doubt, I finally bought a Naim Fraim. It was second hand and only 5 shelves. Since I needed 6, I bought a new Fraim Base which was delivered in the wrong black colour. Anyway, all installed now. The difference with my previous Qudraspire is very, very little. I like the Fraim, but to my ears it doesn’t bring the uplift so many threads talk about

Cheers
Iver

16 Likes

Just received a batch of sockets to replace the stock ones at home for my listening room… I am fairly convinced that this was a compulsive buy that will not offer any audible improvement, but what the heck, this is the crazy hobby I live with :-)…

6 Likes

Phil, Peter suggested that my cartridge would take 400 hrs to run-in, which is nearly all the run time of my vinyl. At least you could leave your kit on. When this all over we should exchange views again.
Take care.

1 Like

Surely you mean 40 ? :scream:

1 Like