What was the last CD you bought

Box set of 34 CDs of the early music of "Josquin des Pres and the The Franco-Flemish School

2 Likes

Wedding Cake Island off Bird Noises is brilliant instrumental. :+1:

2 Likes

1 Like

Just ordered the Oil’s box set - albeit on vinyl. Hopefully will arrive ahead of a birthday next week. These cover pics have me excited - I possess the albums on poor quality CD - so really looking forward to discover them all again, including the brilliant ‘Wedding Cake Island’ instrumental.

A pic I took of the Oil’s in 2017 at the Hammersmith Odeon, London…

3 Likes

I’m jealous, I’ve struggled to find the remastered gold CDs and still looking for 10-1 and Diesel and Dust arguably their best albums. Found these at local chain store snd were only $10 each.

Love to know how the vinyl sounds good luck with the delivery.

1 Like

Dougie MacLean, Jamie MacLean

FLO
dmjmflo

FLO is a collaboration between Dougie and his son Jamie.
it is a Celtic instrumental album perfect for relaxing to.

Edward

1 Like

4 Likes

Leontyne Price - ‘Puccini Heroines’ (1986).

Leontyne Price - ‘Verdi Heroines’ (1986).

Giulietta Simionato - ‘Grand Voci’ (1993).

All from charity warehouse today. The CDs were 3 for £1.

Barbra Streisand - ‘One Voice’ (1986). Barbra sings ‘The Way We Were’, ‘Send In The Clowns’ and other great songs in a live concert. £1 from charity shop today.

3 Likes

41YY32T6AYL
Terrific reading by Furtwangler’s post war live recording. Digital remastering engineer at Abbey Road did a terrific job there is no break up or distortion at tutti. Comparatively Suzuki’s reading sounds frivolous, out of tune and empty. There are so many subtle ( and not too subtle ( things Furty does to make this set one of the most memorable and awe-inspiring Beethoven 9th Symphony. I thought that generally post-war performance / recording of Furty are weak compared to the war era with Berliner but this set still has the power to move.

4 Likes

A Perfect Circle eMOTIVe

An album of covers from Maynard and non-Tool crew, including Imagine, What’s Going On

2 Likes

Carwithen - ‘Concerto for Piano and Strings’ (2006). From charity shop today.

1 Like

From Discogs

Mozart - ‘Piano Concertos Nos. 20 and 25’ (1989). Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli with NDR Symphony Orchestra cond. Cord Garben. From charity shop today. Too many such purchases really, but at these prices compared to what we paid ‘back in the day’……

6 Likes

Beethoven - ‘Symphony No 5’, Philharmonia Orchestra cond. Vladimir Ashkenazy (1982). Same comment as for Michelangeli CD above….

2 Likes

John McLaughlin - ‘The Montreux Years’ (2022). Remastered live recordings made at the Festival from 1984 - 2016. Out today. The LP version also includes the track ‘Friendship’ from a 1978 concert by John with his ‘One Truth Band’.

4 Likes

Interestingly the track Friendship is also included in the 24 Bit version available on Qobuz today. I hadn’t realised this was omitted on the CD, but you’re right.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Not sure why it was left off the CD?

The duration quoted on Qobuz for the full album is 1:22:34, which is too much for one CD, so I guess the objective was to limit it to just one disc, which would probably sell better. Besides, the real completists would already have purchased the 17 disc set.

1 Like

Ah thanks, yes indeed, that all makes sense. I had heard of the 17 disc set way back but had forgotten about it until today.