What was the last CD you bought

I am cheap… I am looking on Discogs… :thinking:

Other versions do clearly exist, but their availability was poor and/or they were expensive… Or both.

I was not - at the time I ordered - aware that Victims was about to be re-issued… So I was not looking at new, on the Long Waterway… Or elsewhere…

But I did today get Transitus (used) for very little from the Musical Bird…

(I simply do not buy any ‘new’ Vinyl. Only old stuff…)

Yes - I’ve now found that both of their previous offerings come as sets with 4 discs - 2lp + 2cd - so I’ve cancelled Space Metal 2cd and re-ordered 2+2 - oh happy days!

1 Like

See above… I am cheap… very cheap. I very rarely buy any ‘new’ CD’s (generally, only if its a new release and/or I cannot find it used) - and definitely no new Vinyl.

My system is also cheap… relatively… :expressionless:

1 Like

Is that why you keep it hidden
:face_with_hand_over_mouth: :laughing:
just joking - if it gives pleasure then its worth is inconsequential!

Sorry… Do not understand…?

Your user profile!

If you click on my Avatar/picture you can see my user profile which mainly lists my system - if I click on yours it says its hidden!

I can see it now!

:laughing:

If that’s a cheap system mine is from Poundland!!!

1 Like

You have way more items than I do… :thinking:

Everything I own is either old, or pre-loved - or both. The newest is my XPS2 (pre-DR), from 2005. After that its my 2002 CDX2. My oldest Naim box is my CB-era 250, from 1985 - but my Linn LP12 is from 1981… :astonished:

1 Like

Not bad to say that all the electronics were replaced this year - I’m a “lait” developer - and its all 2nd hand apart from the Core which is a grade B refurb! Only bits new are a Naim DC1 and the NACA5 speaker cable!

Who’d have thought u can get that at Poundland?

:laughing:

It is still sealed waiting for me to set up a multichannel system!

Do you know when the 4-Channel version was made?

Back in 1971, or in 2020?

It is supposed to be the original quad mix. Here is a Google translated text from the cdjournal website (Dec 2019):

Miles Davis’s 1971 album “Live Eve” (SACD hybrid SICJ10012-35,000 yen + tax) consisting of live sound sources and studio recordings is a SACD hybrid specification that includes 4ch mix sound sources It will be released on January 22 (Wednesday). Three types of sound sources are recorded: SACD 4ch mix and stereo mix, and CD stereo mix. The 4ch mix of the front and rear is a sound source recorded in released in March 1973 and can be said to be a long-awaited revival release. The stereo mix that can be heard on SACD and CD is newly mastered from the analog master.

1 Like

Please let me know what that sounds like when you get a 4 channel system working.

As you probably know, the tracks on that album are from a 3-set gig at Washington D.C. Cellar Club on the 19th Dec 1970 (last of a 4 night run) - plus other recordings made by quite a different band a few months earlier in Columbia’s Studio B.

Perhaps the latter may have been mic-ed up for 4-channel sound.

Maybe when you open it the liner notes will explain how each of these very different sources was mic-ed, mixed and mastered.

In the meantime, there’s always this CD which shows how the band evolved over those 4 days.

2 Likes

Yes I have that set in digital files. I’ll have a listen sometime in June as I am away travelling 'till then.

Gradually replacing the RVG remasters with earlier, less dynamically constrained editions.

9 Likes

That’s interesting. I have both versions, but funnily enough I prefer the RVG remaster. I upgraded many of the initial BN CD releases with the RVG remasters and without exception prefer the remastered versions. I suppose we must all hear things differently.

The RVG masters are louder, most definitely, but I just find them dynamically lacking. As you pointed out though ymmv.