What was the last CD you bought

Ah, Ligeti. Are they new recordings, or re-releases?

You might know that Lontano, Melodien and Volumina were used as background music for the Book narration segments of the original Hitch-hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy radio series. Continuum and the Kyrie from the Requiem were also used as ‘dramatic’ music for short segments too.

I listened to my stepfather’s off-air recordings of the radio series (on 1978 vintage TDK AD90s!) repeatedly and, much later, my interest in it led me to Ligeti’s music.

I think the top left-hand example is the late 70s vintage…

Mark

3 Likes

I don’t think the Deutsche grammophon is a new recording, possibly a re-release as it is part of a set of discs focussing on 20th century classical music - it just caught my eye in HMV.
I’ve had a couple of Ligeti discs for a little while - mainly due to chasing down the 2001 connection - was not aware they were in HHGTTG so thanks for the info.

To go with the original CD, the 2-CD Deluxe set, I now have the 2022 version:

6 Likes

Super debut album. I have the vinyl in the loft and CD.

1 Like

Charity shop last Wednesday.

4 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

All all over the place with this round of purchases:

Mendelssohn- Lieder ohne Worte, Daniel Barenboim

Brahms- Ballads, Rhapsodies, Intermezzi, Glenn Gould

Lianne La Havas- Blood

Jungle- Jungle, Jungle For Ever, In Loving Stereo

2 Likes

Two birthday additions to the collection, “Wet Leg” by Wet Leg, and one I’ve been hunting for fit a while now, “Siamese Dream Remastered” the 3 disc version by Smashing Pumpkins.
If you’re a Pumpkins fan you are probably a collector so this is worth it just for the unreleased stuff.

3 Likes

I see many Decca CDs from the 1980s but had not come across this 1986 release before. The recording was originally made in 1970. Charity shop yesterday.

2 Likes

1 Like

Great recording, lovely music
Apparently localish to Swansea (Swansea Bay Records have this in their local artist section).

I was rather gratified when the Kings of Leon CD came up at 50p on Poundland’s till when I went to pay for it :grinning:

6 Likes

Tomás Luis de Victoria, Tenebrae Responsories.

5178dhpKv6L.SY580

1 Like

After finding this on Tidal I just had to own the physical…bought the CD, great Album

7 Likes

Charity shop this afternoon.

Original s/h from eBay; to me the original recordings sound so much better than later years remastered releases. Or, it’s just how I remember the sound back then ………anyway sounds great

6 Likes

I bought these two 1980s Chandos recordings of Dvorak at local charity shop today. I am not familiar with these early symphonies and some of the other works, so looking forward to putting that right.

5 Likes

Daft Punk: Random Access Memories

11 Likes

3 for £5, little record stall in Tintagel village hall.

6 Likes