What was the last CD you bought

Sharon Van Etten - We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong

Arcade Fire - WE

Warpaint - Radiate Like This

5 Likes

Enjoying a little Tchaikovsky on his birthday.

Sir George Solti & Chicago Symphony Orchestra: Swan Lake Suite, The Nutcracker Suite, Romeo and Juliet Overture

3 Likes

Yesterdays haul from the charity shops where I am having a night away. Several copies which will go to my daughter and several others of great interest.

6 Likes

Robert Forster (x Go Betweens) Danger in the Past.

1 Like

This is a nice and varied selection you found.

I have noticed that CDs are becoming more scarce in my local charity shops, so perhaps the supply is drying up where people have already made the swap to streaming.

1 Like

Absolutely adore this album. Good one.

1 Like

I’m finding this too, shops still selling dvds (not even bluray) but more and more not selling CDs - and in my area the same CDs can sit in the racks for weeks…

This mirrors my experience. I suspect most people in the general population, not to say many hifi enthusiasts, have already dumped all their CDs and moved wholesale to streaming. If true, this dries up both the supply of and demand for s/h CDs. As such, the charity shops barely seem to be able to give them away.

Those of us who are still sticking with CD probably aren’t going to change their mind soon, but watch out for a trickle of good stuff onto the market as we shuffle off to that great jukebox in the sky and our families flog off our collections!

Mark

4 Likes

It is true that some charity shops no longer seem to sell cds, but to be fair there are only so many scratched copies of Robbie Williams/Travis/insert artist name here, you can have on a shelf before you give up assuming someone might want them!

Of these, the Syl Johnson is a real find as is Hush! Glen Campbell, Kathleen Edwards and Radio Tarifa are always wonderful. The Yvonne Elliman is a terrible sounding cd. The Bridge/Scott quintets are worth a listen. The Poulenc less so. I prefer other versions. This seems dramatic and fast. The others await my attention.

It is the joy of finding pristine copies of not the usual suspects CDs that make the perusing a pleasure…

2 Likes

Yes, it does make the hunt a little more interesting. Also, for very little money it is worth experimenting with CDs from artists you might not normally choose and there is always the knowledge that the money is going to a good cause.

2 Likes

I’ve tried out lots of music I would not normally listen to and been pleased to find I enjoy a lot of it…

Genesis - ‘Duke’ (1980). I have had this album on CD for many years but saw this CD in a charity shop today. It is a 1983 issue, possibly the first issue of this album on CD. I prefer the 1980s issues before the ‘loudness’ thing started. I have already acquired similar vintage CD issues of ‘A Trick of the Tail’, ‘Wind and Wuthering’ and ‘And Then There Were Three’ plus some from other artists, the most recent being ‘Discovery’ (1979) from ELO, a vintage CD on the Jet label.

4 Likes

Five CDs of prime Ray singles. Looking forward to diving into this over the weekend…

10 Likes

Had to buy this, just for the cover pic if nothing else.

4 Likes

R-1506644-1224790096

4 Likes

Mike Oldfield - ‘Tubular Bells’ (2003) and ‘Earth Moving’ (1989). I picked these up at a market stall recently. First a rework of the 1973 classic. I have enjoyed the original and the 1992 rework and hadn’t remembered this one. ‘Earth Moving’ is from a different era and I missed this first time around. Approaching it with an open mind…

3 Likes

The 2003 reworking is interesting and, in some ways, better than the original (rhythm and tuning accuracy in particular) but he uses a lot of synths which are usually tasteful and unobtrusive but sometimes stick out like a neon thumb.

Having John Cleese instead of Viv Stanshall is quite unexpected too.

Has it got the bonus DVD with a 5.1 mix of the opening section? That’s quite fun.

Mark

Thanks, I will listen out for all of this! John Cleese instead of Viv Stanshall too. I remember hearing the full Viv Stanshall hornpipe section first on the ‘Boxed’ version. The DVD is included also, a nice bonus which I will look forward to.