What was the last CD you bought

Just ordered Dutton’s newly released SACD Quadrophonic recording of the 1976, Lincoln Center production of Threepenny Opera. I looked for a Columbia/Sony release for years to no avail. One must have come and gone, but Amazon has one copy (not on Sony) for $60. With shipping, Dutton was 1/3 of that.

This was the best production of Threepenny I’ve ever seen. I had the original off-Broadway cast LP with Lotte Lenya for many years and now have a German recording featuring Ute Lemper. The 1976 production featured Raul Julia, Ellen Greene, and Blair Brown among others.

2 Likes

I have a 80s CD mastering of that album (and before that the LP), and I think it’s quite good. And I do like the song mixture. More hits than misses.

1 Like

The third (?) digital remastering of Solti’s Ring des Nibelungen will be issued on SACD (and vinyl), in four instalments.

Cheers
EJ

4 Likes

Haven’t bought many CDs this year and while I could stream this thought it that good I wanted to own it.

Arctic Monkeys The Car

Guess it’s not hard to guess my album of the year.

8 Likes

Same here my album of 2022

Thought left us for the NZ

Monday

The Black Keys - Let’s Rock.

7 Likes

Fleetwood Mac - The Alternate Collection
Record Store Day release. 6cd’s Includes the alternate Fleetwood Mac album, Rumours, Tusk, Live, Mirage and Tango In The Night.

8 Likes

I agree. I think that the system is trying to save its user from himself!

Nigel Kennedy recorded in 1984 on Chandos. Charity shop yesterday.

Weinberg Chamber Music. 2019 recording on DG bought new from HMV yesterday, reduced to £5.99.

4 Likes

Beautifully-packaged CD from the great Japanese composer/pianist. Astonishingly, this is her 100th album as a leader!

2 Likes

I have not had the chance to listen again since the first play. I will though.
I’m actually looking forward to playing it on a Luxman CD player I have on order. Will be interesting to see how that goes. :grin:

1 Like

nice i adore the doors but have only some songs on a usb stick i conect it to my Marantz cd player and listen im wondering what the doors cd haves best sound quality specially i want the song roadhouse blues my all time the doors favorite.

I think you won’t go wrong if you seek out the doors albums on CD that were remastered in 1999 by Bernie Grundman. You will likely get them at very low prices if you look at buying used. That’s what I did and payed no more than £4 each. The sound quality is great you would not be disappointed.

2 Likes

From local Oxfam ‘Books and Music’ shop today:

Originally released in 1993. I hadn’t realised that there was a seventh symphony, albeit completed by someone else.

Again, I hadn’t released that Ashkenazy had recorded these familiar works back in the day, the Tchaikovsky in 1963 and the Schumann in 1976, released here on CD in 1986. He has recorded most other things I think! (I have quite a lot of them)!

‘Completes the set’. I have Arrau playing Brahms 2 in this series but not Brahms 1 until now. Recorded 1969.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Chip Wickham Cloud 10

Brandee Younger Somewhere Different

1 Like

An original 1985 pressing in lovely condition for the princely sum of £4.69. Since the 1999 remaster I’ve had for years is so crushed it makes my ears hurt, I’m hopeful this will be a much pleasanter listening experience:

When all the various versions were compared, this came an extremely close second to a 2016 Japanese release which is rarer than a hen’s tooth with a gold cap:

Mark

6 Likes

Excellent article - thanks for posting.