What was the last CD you bought

Bedtime tunes

10 Likes

Mmm, wrong thread? :grin:

2 Likes

Sorry, must have been half asleep🤷🏻‍♂️

4 Likes

Van Morrison - Into The Music. Bought specifically after hearing “And The Healing Has Begun” used over the closing credits in Kenneth Branagh’s Belfast. Haven’t got many Van albums (Astral Weeks - brilliant and infuriating so hard to get on with) so thought I’d give this a blast. May explore more from old laughing boy if I like this.

11 Likes

Just come home to this little bundle! :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Julia’s new album, out on 15th December. I really loved her 2020 outing “The Thrill of Loving You”, so I’m looking forward to listening to this later!

3 Likes

From Heffers’ (Cambridge) s/h trolley; for the princely sum of £8:

• Angela’s Ashes is John Williams in dark melancholy mode.
  • The Telarc is… loud. Really loud. Like facing into a gale. But a fun musical gale.
  • The King’s Evensong is a disc I remember sampling from the library Back In The Day when I didn’t really know what King’s was and hadn’t set foot in the chapel. Now I’ve seen my daughter sing there and page-turned in the organ loft. Funny old world.

Mark

2 Likes

And Annie Ross - the vocal voice of Willow on ‘Wicker Man’.

Superbly versatile !

1 Like

4 Likes

I can also recommend Saint Dominic’s Preview and Moondance from those earlier days.

4 Likes

Poetic Champions Compose was my in. Richard Skinner was playing some tracks on his afternoon show in the late 80s. Excellent album.

So much to explore on your streaming service.

3 Likes

And Tupelo Honey

3 Likes

A clue would be helpful ?! :smirk:

3 Likes

Of course :slightly_smiling_face:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin. Didn’t have a copy of this on CD, now remedied! Listening this afternoon and its a pretty good sounding rip/CD, which surprises me as this is a ‘digital remaster’ from 2009.

Definitely up there as one of the greatest debut albums - quality Zeppage.

21 Likes

1 Like

Peter Gabriel i/o

10 Likes

Bach - Magnificat, Dunedin Consort/John Butt. Linn Records hybrid, multi channel, stereo SACD. Amazon UK market seller.

8 Likes

The second album in the series has been released and is receiving superb reviews;

''Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly only seems to make the music even more intense not louder… ‘’ S.v. Aelst in ‘JazzFlits’

“The intimacy of the vocals, the expression of the guitar, and the refined sounds of the double bass, the dynamics of the percussion, a phenomenal experience on a refined hi-fi set. Highly recommended during these gray winter days!" Eric De Boer, Hifi.Nl

highly recommended.

STONES IN MY PASSWAY

"By framing each of Robert Johson’s songs with small instrumental miniatures
Carmen Gomes Inc. have created an album that sounds like an imaginary road movie.
Listening one perceives Robert walking late at night, en route in the Mississippi Delta, reflecting back on his life.
The low A, 27.5 khz, from the bowed down tuned double bass representing the Mississippi night, the drums creating the sounds surrounding the night and the guitar being Robert’s mind.
More than playing parts, guitarist Folker Tettero and drummer Bert are playing moods. I actually asked Bert to play the lyrics instead of the drums, a task I knew especially he would be able to fulfill.
Throughout the album Folker is in constant dialogue with Carmen’s melody line. Sometimes edging her on and at other times comforting her.
Folker decided to use an electric 12 string guitar on the small miniatures. The sounds he creates adds a whole new aspect to his musicianship and emphasizes his deep affinity for the blues.
Carmen is at the top of her game here. Her never the same way twice saxophone like phrasing showing her jazz heritage and why jazz is in such great debt to the blues.
Love in Vain in particular being a good example.

'Engineer Frans De Rond created a one mic + set up. Adding two Josephson C700 microphones to the central Josephson C700s.
The benefit sound wise compared to the pure one mic setup being that Carmen’s voice and my double bass sound would not suffer when the band would at certain moments would raise the dynamic level."
[/quote]

1 Like