What was the last CD you bought

Two forthcoming Mingus reissues on Candid (mastered by Bernie Grundman)

And Susanna gave me a CD copy of her (now-rare) Japan-only album Souls of The Night, made in 2020:

4 Likes

Remastered, excellent recording and performance

12 Likes

John Scofield - Uncle John’s band

3 Likes

Charity shop on Tuesday.

3 Likes

Travelling for work to ‘new’ charity shops and one old favourite. Happy trawl

13 Likes

Do you like the Iris Dement cd James ?

A year ago I bought it , played it , didn’t like it

Now play it quite a lot and really enjoy it

All about time and mood :+1:

1 Like

I bought a vinyl copy of this when it was issued as I’m a fan of Ms Dement. I did and do enjoy it but it is, as you say, often about time and mood. This cd allows me to rip a copy for my iPod! ( I know, but I enjoy my iPod on shuffle when I am working!)

2 Likes

Interestingly, several of these including the Joe Jackson were bought for the same purpose and I have had a vinyl copy of Look Sharp since it was released too. Having just listened to it, mmmm, only a few tracks have stood the test of time for me. It will be recycled to a charity shop.

The Charpentier is lovely, and the Martinu is also a keeper.

1 Like

Today’s charity shop haul :blush:

5 Likes

M people! Great tunes…

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
A Door Inside Your Mind The Complete Reprise Recordings 1966-1968
4 CD set.

Nice. Poppy - only played the first album so far.

A band that I completely missed in the 60’s (too preoccupied with Love, The Doors, Dead, Byrds and Airplane I guess), so catching up…

4 Likes

A really nice buy there @steviebee

1 Like

a2904498016_2
https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/

Just when you thought you’d heard every possible take on the songbook of Robert Johnson, from true acoustic versions to Clapton’s electric tracks, up jumps singer Carmen Gomes with her own rendition. The legendary bluesman died aged just 27 in 1938, amidst all those ‘sold his soul to the devil’ legends, and left a catalogue of just 29 songs, so you could argue there’s nothing new to hear. However, Gomes gives her selected tracks an atmospheric, mystical spin, with minimal backing, a simple mic set-up, in Sound Liaison style, and a ‘straight to DXD’ as-live recording approach. Her sultry voice has immediacy and intimacy, the instruments captured with real vitality, and the whole recording drips with presence and a sense of performance. I can imagine this one proving popular on the demo circuit if we ever get back to them – and that would be no bad thing. AE HifiNews&Record

10 Likes

I don`t like her music

Allman Brothers Band, Eat a Peach

11 Likes

I loved the first album. Somehow reminded me of early Tracy Chapman! Will investigate this one too.

1 Like

Nice haul the there. Used CDs are such an incredible bargain. Long may people get rid of them in favour of streaming. I’m building up a huge collection for pocket money prices. When you look at vinyl now costing £30 or more it’s hard not to be tempted by CD. I find they can sound great even with my relatively budget priced CD player through my Naim Olive amps and Linn Sara’s. I have a Linn Sondek which obviously outperforms the CD player but it’s still an excellent listen.

7 Likes

A good collection today.
Not had much luck in recent weeks/months, I went into town to pick up an HMV order and walked past a charity shop on the way in - and bingo.

10 Likes

2 hard to find Robert Forster albums, Warm Nights and Calling From a Country Phone.

IMG_5284

2 Likes

Critics had mixed reactions on this album from 1991. I love it very much because Gil Evans is in the lead here. I am not a big fan of the big band sound. But Gil Evans is an exception. The pieces are all classics anyway.

6 Likes