What was the last CD you bought

PJ - Dark Matter

1 Like

Chris Standring: Love and Paragraphs (image c of Amazon).

Never heard of him until I accessed a Smooth Jazz playlist on Spotify to play whilst I was sitting in the garden. This track caught my ear. I listened to the entire album, and Fanny’s your Aunt, bought it :grinning:

1 Like

I have pretty much all of the albums on original vinyl, but couldn’t resist these Pere Ubu anthology boxset beauties:

First set arrives tomorrow. An Ubu day!

4 Likes

those contain some serious music! Are the remasters better sounding, or just different?

I personally like the way they sound and wish that Blue Note CDs had been done this way from the beginning.

They seem clearer perhaps due to minimal EQ manipulation and without much compression? I would caution one only if they perceived their playback systems to be on the brighter or lighter side.

There have been many series of re-issues and obviously I have not heard them all. Amongst those I have heard so far from Blue Note (US & a few Japan series) I would pick these for the compelling listen. I aim to get a few more favorite titles and would encourage fans of the label and music to give them a try. I think Kevin Gray’s remastering work is commendable here both for the Blue Note Tone Poet and Blue Note Classic vinyl and now for these their 85th anniversary CDs.

ATB.
B

Joey Calderazzo - Live from the Cotton Club Tokyo Vol. 1

2 Likes

3 Likes

A tasty-looking 8-CD box set from Cherry Red. All the albums have bonus tracks.

10 Likes

Blimey. Great Nina selection :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Any idea about production/mastering, SQ, Kevster?

not played yet @CliveB

1 Like

Finally picked up a copy of this on Discogs, new and still sealed for £6.99

Supertramp - Indelibly Stamped (1st Album 1971)

6 Likes

Just ordered this on CD…

Good French live recordings with band including a young Alan Holdsworth.

1 Like

Took a few days to arrive, but really nice bookset compendiums of the great Pere Ubu, with very cool booklets inside.

4 CDs per set.

Haven’t had time to play, yet. Wonder how they’ll sound compared to my old LPs.

4 Likes

A matching pair.

9 Likes

Got my copy a couple of weeks ago, Kev.

Not listened yet :anguished:

Just received the RCA box too !! Drowning in Nina !

(The Philips box, Four Women, is too pricy - though I’m on the look-out for a bargain copy).

1 Like

Today’s haul. 5 for£1

5 Likes

If they’re original 80s pressings, they may sound better than modern remasters…

1 Like

Arrived today from Presto:

Top: Bach on the Rauwolf Lute. An instrument made in 1590, 100 years before Bach’s birth. SACD, so hoping it’ll sound great.

Middle: a very mellow album by Matt Wasdworth, whom I was at school with.

Bottom: a slightly silly purchase, since I already have too many recordings of Stravinsky’s ballets, including Rattle’s CBSO recordings from the 80s, but I couldn’t resist a modern SACD version with the LSO. Only listened to a bit so far, but it sounds awesome.

5 Likes