What was the last CD you bought

I was playing some of this 5 minutes ago. Heavy indeed.

2 Likes

I did the Manchester Hard Rock show in December 1972 - 8th according to t’internet, but it was 50 years ago so the memory ain’t so good.

Skipped Friday lectures to get the tickets. Queued for four hours; I was second in the queue and got centre of second row, looking straight up at Robert Plant’s….er….crotch! :laughing:

Thanks for your memories ! Well a bootleg exist for 16 December 1972 with these songs played:
Rock And Roll
Over The Hills And Far Away
Black Dog
Misty Mountain Hop
Since I’ve Been Loving You
Dancing Days
Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Dazed And Confused
Stairway To Heaven
Whole Lotta Love
Heartbreaker

Did you remember which encores where played the second night (17 December 1972) after “Whole Lotta Love” ? Thanks for your memories ! Also did you saw in concert in those years in Birmigham or elsewhere FREE (internationaly famous for their hit “All Right Now”) ? Thanks again !

Thanks ! LED ZEPPELIN played these songs in Manchester 8 December 1972:
Rock And Roll
Over The Hills And Far Away
Black Dog
Misty Mountain Hop
Since I’ve Been Loving You
Dancing Days
Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Dazed And Confused
Stairway To Heaven
Whole Lotta Love
Heartbreaker
Immigrant Song
Communication Breakdown

Anyway played two shows in Manchester Hard Rock (7 & 8 December 1972). Forgive me again a curiosity as I know English rock band FREE (internationally famous for their hit “All Right Now” of 1970) planned a show in Manchester Hard Rock 10 December 1972 (according to SOUNDS music magazine) but this show didn’t took place. Did you know more about this show ? Thanks again for all !

I don’t recall seeing Free - were they touring at that time, as that was when Paul Kosoff left.
I certainly saw Rory Gallagher, Bowie, Ten years after, yes, and a few more
Saw Bad Company at CharltonAthletic in '74 with The Who and Humble Pie etc
I queued overnight in '78 for tickets for Bob Dylan at Earls Court - his return to UK touring - saw two shows - No Ticketmaster or Online codes in those days
The only other time I queued for any length of time was the iPhone release :joy:

Thanks for your memories ! Perhaps did you saw progressive bands such GENESIS, GENTLE GIANT, YES ? Thanks again

Genesis: twice, in the Nursery Crime, Foxtrot era. Once at the Hard Rock, Manchester. Can’t remember the other time: Manchester FTH possibly, otherwise Southampton or Portsmouth.

Yes: several times. Southampton Guildhall in ‘70 or ‘71, Brighton on the Magnification tour (with orchestra), Somewhere in London (Earl’s Court perhaps?) on the Tsongas tour and twice in Birmingham, the most recent being a couple of years ago on 24th June in the post-Covid CttE 50th Anniversay tour.

Gentle Giant: Never seen.

Never saw Gentle Giant

Thanks for your memories. GENESIS played Manchester Hard Rock 2 November 1972. Also Manchester Free Trade Hall 24 February 1973. GENESIS also played Southampton Gaumont Theatre 11 October 1973. A gig in Portsmouth Guildhall 24 October 1972 with also Lindisfarne on the bill. Thanks

I would have been in Manchester for both, so those are most probably the two I went to. The Soton & Pompey gigs were in “term time”, so I would have been in, er, Manchester. That first year at Uni (Sep ‘72 to Jun ‘73) was chock full of concerts.

We’re cluttering up the CD thread too much, but it is an interesting topic in its own right and really deserves its own thread. I don’t know whether @Richard.Dane could split it into two?

Back on topic. This has just arrived:

and this is incoming:

2 Likes

When I posed the question, Alle71 said he didn’t get far with other threads (I assume what he meant ):

Got to admit it’s working: he’s getting responses doing it this way.

2 Likes

it was my first year at Uni as well, Birmingham
Freshers concert in the student union was the mighty Hawkwind
Great time for concerts, probably every week was something worthwhile on and cheap
Stephen

Just picked up the CD box version of this one on Luaka Bop, originally on an India Navigation LP.

6 Likes

My first year was '71-'72
Seems like Lindesfarne showed up once a term, I also recall a band called Family
'75 I moved to Bristol for a couple of years and saw Jethro Tull, Nils Lofgren, Television, The Jam and a few others - The Who at Hammersmith Odeon
Then I started really travelling - Saw Genesis and Fleetwood Mac in Saratoga NY in '78, Jethro Tull in Houston
I think the last major show I was actually able to attend was Luciano Pavarotti in Caracas

GENESIS Saratoga Springs - Performing Arts Centre 31 July 1978. I would like to reccomend to all GENESIS fans those books by Italian Genesis expert Mario Giammetti (books in English):

4 Likes

Purchased a used CD from Ebay and ripping into my music server.

4 Likes

Look at that hair…

I used to play Right Here Waiting on the piano for my first serious girlfriend in 1989. The relationship was short-lived, though I don’t think I could blame my piano playing for that.

Mark

1 Like

Music bring back memories and the hair does look bushy. But after a closer look, it’s certainly much more thicker and bushya.

Infinity - Lee Morgan
Feelin’ the Spirit - Grant Green
Unity - Larry Young
San Francisco - Bobby Hutcherson
Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter

All remastered by Kevin Gray as part of Blue Note 85.

3 Likes

I very much enjoy Green Day and especially Cookie and Nimrod are great! Not the biggest fan of Shenanigans, as those really are the B-Sides. I’m sure you’ve listened to them by now and will have noticed the stark differences between the albums. Still, for a pound, not a bad buy at all!

1 Like