What was the last CD you bought

Mike Oldfield - ‘Tubular Bells’ (1973). Again. This is the HDCD version from 2000 in a fill your basket for £2 deal at a local charity warehouse. I have just acquired a CDS2/CDSPS (couldn’t resist) so will look forward to playing it on that.

13 Likes

5 Likes

A sad day to learn of the death of Toumani Diabate, so to Amazon we must go:

6 Likes

very sad news. And this is why he was such a wonderful musician, here with his son.

4 Likes

Stunning!

images
HAYDN: THE COMPLETE STRING QUARTETS / KODÁLY QUARTET

6 Likes

Been on a Wilco bender after I learned that they are not dissimilar to The National. This is one of them.
It is lovely to learn to appreciate a band when you have been oblivious of them before :relieved:

3 Likes

Not seen this cover for sticky fingers before. Bit spooky :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Some gems in there. Look sharp should have earned Joe a Nobel prize :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think it’s only on the SHM-CD Japan version. A bit spooky yes.
It’s a great version though. Very dynamic and s great listen.

2 Likes

That cover was what the record company in Franco’s Spain chose for the original release.

5 Likes

:+1:

Must be something about the Italians :grinning: - I have a book on them by Armando Gallo that I must have had 40 years.

However, this being the CD thread do I understand you have a recording from Saratoga Springs? I’ve not seen that referenced before.

Great album, positively growing on me with every listen, only became aware of Wilco recently

5 Likes

Wilcos a great band The Whole Love definitely one of my favourites.

2 Likes

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil, Blue Note Japan, 85th Anniversary Series. I have a few other versions and like this one a lot!

15 Likes

My July batch of discs all bought in one go. It was a great month for deals. I never look for deal, I just buy what I want and stop at $100. And this month everything on my list was new and on sale! I’m usually lucky to get 4 CDs in but this month was like Xmas …

500x500

R-475511-1175561269

R

D_NQ_NP_920568-MLA50708958399_072022-O

NEODAI-187912

I should add, I hate Country and Western music with a passion. But I have a soft spot for Kenny. His popularity was bizarre considering. The tunes so twee and cheesy - but the lyrics really sort of Nick Cave kind of dark on many tracks. Especially to come down after a session with House or Metal.

2 Likes

That’s a mixed bunch, I haven’t tried to listen to Kenny Roger’s since he toured here showing the birth of one of his kids as a back drop to one of his shows. Friends I know that we’re huge fans walk out.

Interesting your comment about not liking country and western I say that a lot but I do play an increasingly number of what is considered country.

1 Like

Over half of them were to replace albums I’ve had on vinyl for years which are not great condition after 200 plays or have bad IGD.

I notice there are a lot of CDs now for sale that are clearly intended to be ripped. All the above came in cardboard sleeves, and the ConFunkShun was a set with 3 albums split over 2 discs, and Bar-Kays 4 albums over 2 discs. You can in fact only play them as albums if you rip them.

Kenny Rogers was a box set though and cost less than getting the 3 albums I was after separately.

1 Like

3 Likes