What was the last CD you bought

Al Alba

Ines and Pedro Bacan and more, Al Alba.

1 Like

This weeks 5 Cd’s from my favourite shop Poundland

5 Likes

Last music acquisition was this road recording project of street artists:

This album is the result of a two year long road journey across the European continent to discover and record authentic musical talent that is hidden right in our cities’ streets.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Following a dawn raid on the Bay and the River.

6 Likes

For the Poundland shoppers here, I received this news today on LinkedIn:

“Poundland is breaking with its slogan “everything’s £1” to trial a range of prices stretching from 50p up to £5. In a pilot across 24 stores in the Midlands, the proportion of items priced at £1 will drop from 85% to around 75%. Poundland started selling products at £2 and £5 in 2017. Managing Director Barry Williams described the move as an evolution from being a “single price” to a “simple price outlet.””

L Couperin: Harpsichord suites /Sempé

Skip Sempé, Louis Couperin, Alpha

Lucinda Williams, Blessed

4 Likes

Phosphorescent - Muchacha and Here’s to Taking it Easy

3 Likes

The albums are rather good, hopefully I’ll get a little more time to have a proper listen will watching the cricket tonight. :grin:

1 Like

Out and about this week, so three Poundland stores visited.
At home you have to battle through the school kids on holiday playing with the smellies and sex toys to find there are no boxes on top, the shelves have been replenished and there is some good stuff, sadly I have a lot already.
By comparison the next nearest was shabby, nothing to buy and only a small amount there.
The surprise was a store next to MOD Abbeywood, it’s sort of isolated by the ring road is smart, clean, tidy and not a Robbie William’s disc in sight.
So with the following and some hauls from charity shops there has to be a buying moratorium for a while.

3 Likes

A bit late to the party with this one, but ordered off the river today
Bruce%20Springsteen_WesternStars

8 Likes

Better late than never, great album it does take time to grow on you. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Already have most of those, and like you, I am on a buying break at the moment, until The overwhelming gravitational force of Poundland drags me in again. :rofl: Surprise album for me from the ones you show is The Dixie Chicks. So good I bought two more of their albums. Just goes to show…

Just to confirm that I do look at places other than Poundland. After a recent kitchen rearrangement I reinstated my Tivoli radio that tends to stay tuned to Radio 3. My attention was grabbed by a short piece, Jaqcueline’s Tears played by Sheku Kannah-Mason.
I could only find one version on CD, it arrived today. I now find the version I heard available. I might get that later, but this is beautiful.

2 Likes

Recent purchases…

Bill Connors - Of Mist and Melting

Bill Connors (Guitar), Jan Garbarek (Saxophones), Gary Peacock (Bass) and Jack DeJohnette (Drums).

Maria Farantouri - Beyond The Borders

Maria Farantouri (Voice), Cihan Türkoğlu (Saz, Kopuz, Voice), Anja Lechner (Violoncello), Meri Vardanyan (Kanon), Christos Barbas (Ney) and İzzet Kızıl (Percussion).

Compass

Susanne Abbuehl - Compass

Susanne Abbuehl (Vocals), Wolfert Brederode (Piano), Christof May Clarinet, Bass Clarinet), Lucas Niggli (Drums, Percussion) and Michel Portal (Clarinet)

Home - Music by Steve Swallow to poems by Robert Creeley

Steve Swallow - Home - Music by Steve Swallt to Poems by Robert Creeley

Steve Swallow (Bass), Sheila Jordan (Voice), Steve Kuhn (Piano), David Liebman (Saxophones), Lyle Mays (Synthesizer) and Bob Moses (Drums).

Lost River

Michele Rabbia - Lost River

Michele Rabbia (Drums, Electronics), Gianluca Petrella (Trombone, Sounds), and Eivind Aarset (Guitar, Electronics).

Trance

Steve Kuhn - Trance

Steve Kuhn (Piano, Electric Piano), Steve Swallow (Electric Bass), Jack DeJohnette (Drums) and Sue Evans (Percussion).

Areni Agbabian - Bloom

Areni Agbabian (Voice, Piano) and Nicolas Stocker (Drums, Percussion).

Amos Lee - Supply and Demand

Bruce Hornsby - Absolute Zero

4 Likes

Beethoven: The Forgotten Works for String Quartet

by Covington String Quartet, Ludwig van Beethoven, et al. | 2006

3 Likes

Today’s nine bargain buys from that wonderful cd emporium, Poundland.

4 Likes

I know I said I wasn’t going to, honestly. Today I was sent to K-E-Y-N, S-H-A-M. Not been for a long time, not only is there Poundland, but seven charity shops within 100 yards.
I mean, it’s more than a mere mortal can take! They had books and vinyl as well…
Only one cost more than £1.

6 Likes

I thought that I would follow the lead set by catswhiskers and visit my local Poundland. Heavy Soul by Paul Weller which I have was the only CD that interested me. The rest was pure unadulterated dross. I suspect that reflects the demographic of where I live. Is there a Poundland on Kensington Church Street or some such similar location I wonder?

Steve2

I’m pretty sure it’s Grandland in Kensington.

1 Like

I don’t think I was the first to post about this useful music store.
Certainly, in today’s post only the middle two discs were found.
My experience is now of five stores and they are very variable. In most stores the majority of stock seems to be made up of manufactured boy and girl bands, the kind that my pre-teen nieces jig around to.
I have looked at others posts and wished that I found some of the discs they bought.
I don’t stream and am unlikely to do so, I treat Poundland like some people use Tidal and Qobuz, an audition service. At the minute I can afford to punt a pound on a disc based on the cover, track list and if I don’t like it a local charity benefits. The bottom line is an example. The two outer discs have players that I recognise from other bands, mainly folk, so a calculated gamble. Chaka Demus & Pliers has Sly and Robbie playing so that was a must.
I must take a buying break now, I’ve got thirty plus to listen to. I guesstimate that in three months I have looked through at least four thousand so in some ways it’s no worse than going into HMV and buying half a dozen. So perhaps safest to end YMMV.

1 Like