What was the last CD you bought

I believe Music Magpie supplies Poundland with these discs as well as DVDs/BluRays and video games.

Spurred on by this thread I visited my local Poundland today and after looking through 200-300 CDs I’d put 20 or so aside, then settled on 8, none of which I really wanted or needed.

The shelves seemed to be full of uninspiring titles from the mid 90’s to early part of this decade.

Loads of Coldplay, Keane, Embrace, Robbie Williams and X Factor winner type discs.

There were a few I or Mrs AC already had on CD or vinyl (, and several I recognised but for the life of me couldn’t remember if we already had them, but just hadn’t played them a lot!

Despite them only being a quid I surprised myself by memorising a few names and deciding to investigate on Qobuz if available, then wondering whY I’d bother with the CD with access to CD quality Qobuz streams.

On the whole the stock seemed to be ‘safe’ mainstream pop and rock bands I’m not that keen on.

Suspect it’s random what gets stocked where, but I struggle to see how they’d shift that many CDs to refresh the stock frequently.

Didn’t look hard but didn’t notice any BluRays or console games - DVDs are pretty much a non-starter for me though I’d potentially buy cheap BluRays.

Also took a peek in a very large charity shop a few doors further down and got a couple of CDs for a quid and half a dozen LPs, though I suspect only one of those will get many plays. Sadly missed out on a Wombles Christmas songs LP someone picked up in front of me :grin:

1 Like

My first couple of sorties were favourable, but now much as you have found. I think John who seems to have found a rich vein is using the Crawley nr Gatwick store.

1 Like

To celebrate the purchase of a new music server I treated myself to two of Fairport’s greatest: Babbacombe Lee and Full House.

6 Likes

I have tried many stores around West Sussex and Croydon areas and found most to be pretty awful mainly because the stock remains static. I always come back to my two local stores, East Grinstead and Crawley, to me they have the best selection and the stock changes considerably on a weekly basis. I visit both stores each week and usually pickup between 3 and 20 CD’s on each weekly visit. Some of which I wouldn’t have usually bought, I buy them as a punt, and in the main I am now glad I did. In the past 4 months or so I have picked up in excess of 300 CD’s, 3 of which I already had, and a 5 I didn’t like at all. I am pretty much genre free, with a few exceptions, I pretty much enjoy anything, providing its good listenable music, which may make Poundland more usable for me, coupled with the good fortune of having two very good stores close to home, even these two shops still have there fair share of Robbie Williams, Girls Aloud, and the rest of the unlistenable. If you can find a good shop Poundland is an excellent way of buying good music at a very reasonable price.

MrsT has suggested that a Poundland coach trip could be arranged to visit my two local stores, please arrange through your local dealer :wink:

3 Likes

Trouble in Poundland? :grin::grin:

2 Likes

Unexpectedly found myself with a couple of hours to kill in Shrewsbury today while mountain bike was getting some tlc. I tried so hard to stay out of Poundland and charity shops but it was a lost cause from the start. Top 3 from charity shop, others from Poundland.

Refreshing for me as I have exhausted my local Poundland who more or less have the much maligned cd’s mentioned in previous posts. SWMBO just rolls her eyes and says “How many this time?”. :rofl:

7 Likes

SX450
2019 anniversary edition

7 Likes

Second haul of the week from Poundland.

6 Likes

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Big Beat. Great sound from these XRCD’s. Expensive but worth the money for a few nice recordings imo.

10 Likes

Steve, yes, these really produce an excellent sound and as you rightly state worth the money for a few releases.I have the Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin’ classic and it’s superb ,nice packaging format too.

2 Likes

Guilty pleasure…!

1 Like

Any good?

Actually, probably her best yet!

Thanks, my granddaughters might have to rethink granddads music collection. :grin:

Cheers, ordered. :+1:

1 Like

I have just ordered the following

Steve2

3 Likes

Only managed to find one in Poundland today, but it was goody, Tales of Us, the Goldfrapp album I was missing.

6 Likes

Just purchased this album off Amazon and am listening to the auto-rip version now. Never heard of Isaac Gracie before now but he’s got an amazing voice.

Nice! Tempting even I’ve got most of the cds already and don’t even have a cd player.

2 Likes

That’s rather mixed and interesting box of goodies. :sunglasses:

2 Likes