What was the last CD you bought

I am pretty sure it was Dynaudio 1 that set me out on this path of addiction.
Last count I had fifteen Mosaics.

7 Likes

they are addictive but I have managed to move on. 20 at last count and vinyl sets rather than cds but they are gorgeous. I have the Hodges set before that 1951 to 1955. I must dig it out.

2 Likes

That’s a great set and - yes - I am beyond the addict stage when it comes to Mosaic sets. Currently spinning the superb Max Roach + 4 Complete Mercury.

The earlier Hodges is vinyl only but also very good.

My earliest sets I think are the Monk and Tina Brooks on LP. Back in the days when it was both Charlie Lourie and Michael Cuscuna running the show (RIP).

2 Likes

The Tina Brooks is indeed very fine. I started with the Miles Davis sets and then moved sideways. The In a Silent Way set is particularly fine.

1 Like

All of those Miles Davis vinyl sets are great. Pretty expensive, most of them, on the second hand market now. The Miles/Gil is probably my favourite. Too bad that they stopped them before ‘Cellar Door’ but by then Mosaic had made a strategic decision to go CD-only, apart from the final batch of vinyl-only offerings.

I love the Mosaic sets – I have three Miles ones on vinyl, Complete Bitches, Complete Silent Way and Complete Miles/Gil Evans.

On CD, I have the Complete Freddie Hubbard Blue Note & Impulse 60s Studio Sessions, The brilliant Louis Armstrong Columbia & RCA 1946-66, Classic Black & White Jazz Sessions, and the recent Lennie Tristano and Don Byas ones (which I haven’t listened to yet). I also have three or four Ellington boxes which are not to hand right now. The one I would really like is the monster Nat King Cole on Capitol set.

Sadly, with the death of Michael Cuscuna a couple of months ago it would seem as though there will be no new Mosaic releases, as the label was very much his baby.

3 Likes

Not true @TheKevster - Mosaic now run by long-term business partner/producer Scott Wenzel and colleague Fred (forgot his surname). There is already a V-Disks set on the horizon for later this year that has been put together by Scott.

3 Likes

Fantastic! Really good news the label’s still going. A lot of those V Disks are very interesting so that should be a great set.

1 Like

Turned up today:

10 Likes

Yes, the V-Disks set promises to be a great release and a definitive issue.

I have that Nat King Cole Capitol set on vinyl - needs a fork lift truck to shift it ! Almost as garguantuan as their Commodore Vol 1-3 and Maynard Fergusson behemoths.

As you say, Mosaic was very much Cuscuna’s baby in their mail order early days. Formed with ex-Blue Note exec Charlie Lourie and continuing on from those 70s ‘Blue Note Reissue Series’ releases that this great duo put out.

2 Likes

Just turned up from the good ol USA. This a remastered version with bonus tracks. It was pointed out to me by @AndyP that the Carpenters version-of “Superstar” was not the original. So thanks to Andy……the original has so much more passion, Bonnie wrote the song with Leon Russell. She knows what she is singing about……possibly her lover Eric Clapton?

10 Likes

download

Blood Orange by Freya Ridings. Should arrive tomorrow

3 Likes

jethro_21

Jethro Tull - War Child - The 40th Anniversary Theatre Edition

7 Likes

9 Likes

Meanwhile back in the year one……

Nice one - I’ve recently started collecting the 40/50th anniversary sets as they come down in price.

The most recent arrival being just a couple of posts before yours! :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Some different recordings from old friends to see me through the long nights.

7 Likes

A lot of Genesis there. Enjoy!

1 Like

Really brings back memories. Nice
Package this 2CD, everything I ever wanted from Chris and Tina, and the booklet is really informative on the relation with David Byrne and how C+T just quietly wnet about their way and influenced and produced a lot of other folk. Ot os sometimes the quiet ones you got to watch :wink:

7 Likes

Just bought this from Bandcamp. I was knocked out by the Youtube sample under the review on the All About Jazz site.

I like the way they give me a download as well as the CD, which I like for all the info.

3 Likes

4 Likes