What was the last CD you bought

Great and sincere artist, and very personable to talk to.

2 Likes

Today’s haul from the charity shops of Folkestone. 5 @ 50p and 3 @ £1.

7 Likes

Have some songs of this on the acoustic live. At first listen, a bit uneven and songs evoking very different moods one after another (noisy too!). Perhaps need to play on repeat in a 4hr drive to Teesside :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

A rummage round the charity shops whilst in town today
61AbsY-9pmL.AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65

61gBZIieBJL.AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65

Happy with these for £1.50 each

7 Likes

Today’s haul from local charity shop. All five for £1.00

7 Likes

Incredible bargains!

Must be getting old. Just got this from Amazon. Really enjoying it, trip down memory lane

4 Likes

Do you mean they arrived in the post at the same time or you’re playing them all at the same time?!

Kevin Figes sextet You Are Here - a tribute to the marvelous Keith Tippett & contemporaries on Jazz Now from the Jazz in Britain cats.

1 Like

Today’s haul from the charity shops of Folkestone with change from £10.

9 Likes

A “stonking” haul for a tenner.

3 Likes

Have to check this out.

I managed to get the Kaleidoscope of Rainbows Live CD from them; brilliant music

1 Like

Love these card digipak formats and I love this album, £1 car boot sale.

7 Likes

More car boot sale finds, £1 each, I like the 20 bit master to a 16 bit format :grin: but it’s fun, I saw them do this live, and the Beethoven is an attempt at educating myself, but the dynamic range is wild, one for when I’m home alone.

5 Likes

One already arrived, 3 incoming

8 Likes

Where the old Basie boys are concerned I am similar to the collector who has ten or more Mozart piano sonata boxes.
We know what we like.

All old friends for the cd headphone system.

9 Likes

71k1xE7ELoL.AC_UY436_QL65

12 Likes

I likes ya style @Nick1940.
Keep spinning those discs :cd:

1 Like

JazzFlits; "This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly never makes the music too loud, only more intense.
With this release, an impressively good album has been added to Carmen’s discography.
My suggestion is to buy both part one (Up Jumped The Devil) and part two(Stones in My Passway as they don’t fall short of each other and only become more precious with time.”

BandCamp link; *Stones in My Passway​.​.​.​Discovering the music of Robert Johnson*
[/quote]
Complete review;
Carmen Gomes Inc. ‘Stones In My Passway’ review in JazzFlits.

"Stones In My Passway’ is part two of a project in which Carmen Gomes Inc. breathes new life into the musical legacy of Robert Johnson.

Just for those for whom the name Robert Johnson doesn’t immediately ring a bell; in Robert Johnson’s short life, he played acoustic blues from the Delta, and his music was recorded in two sessions in 1936 and 1937; a total of 29 songs.

Johnson died under suspicious circumstances in 1938. It is his small body of work that has inspired many famous pop musicians, including the Rolling Stones, Tina Turner, and Eric Clapton, to name a few.

Carmen Gomes and her band have thoroughly tackled their tribute to Johnson. They go back to the origin, the Mississippi Delta. In their renditions of Johnson’s pieces, you feel the clammy, sweaty air in the ominous dark shady clubs, where the blues was interspersed with drinking parties and fights.

The fifth member of Gomes’ band is the recording magician Frans de Rond, who has brought a lot of atmosphere to the recording.

The short atmospheric pieces between the tracks, where you are taken to the scene of the events like in a radio play, are a real treasure. Thus, the album opens with a beautiful intro where a passing train, wind noise, and a single guitar chord transports you to the deep south of the United States.

Carmen sings the blues straight from the heart, profoundly, with authenticity and heartfelt sincerity, eschewing any unnecessary embellishments.

That she can sing is no secret by now, given her resounding discography and a long list of successful performances.

Her band - Folker Tettero on guitar, Peter Bjørnild on bass, and Bert Kamsteeg on drums - has mastered this repertoire completely.

The slow tempos are beautifully exploited, with each musician contributing sparingly but with authority.

Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly never makes the music too loud, only more intense.
With this release, an impressively good album has been added to Carmen’s discography.
My suggestion is to buy both part one (Up Jumped The Devil) and part two(Stones in My Passway as they don’t fall short of each other and only become more precious with time.”

6 Likes

5 Likes