What was the last CD you bought

Ginger Baker, Airforce, this is a re-release, great live recording, sparkles on the CD555 :grinning:

3 Likes

Great compilation of live tracks with some really good versions of well known songs from one of my favorite bands. I regret only seeing them live twice.

5 Likes

I was lucky enought to see every tour from Kings onwards, often several times. I of course agree about them as a live band, just great musicians. I still find it amazing that three people could play so well together for so long - we were very lucky.

Can I recommend ‘Closer To The Heart’ from ‘Different Stages’? Now there is a workout!

Watching the Professor work around his kit(s) was a joy. Luckily, for such a private man, there are a number of videos where we can still watch him ‘at work’.

2 Likes

Good haul. CDs are great value at the moment.

1 Like

Dire Straits live at the BBC just arrived today along with Katherine Priddy, a recommendation from the Folk post on here.

4 Likes

Just landed. Recordings from the early 70’s and 80’s. Released in 1993.

Bought for £3 and discs look as though they have never been used :grin:

8 Likes

1 Like

Jack White - No Name

2 Likes

Eclectic selection of 18 CDs from today’s trawl of the charity shops of Hythe, Kent. The haul includes my first ever purchases of albums by Genesis, Ryan Adams, Depeche Mode, Tom Jones and Traffic. Total spend £11.50.

12 Likes

Used to have this on tape in the late 80s.
Got the (2nd hand) CD now to discover I still love it now

7 Likes

8 Likes

Quite a varied collection and good to find The Lamb, which is not one I have listened to, but it is supposed to be one of the harder albums to get into, so may not be the best intro to Genesis.

2 Likes

I’m no Genesis fan (and certainly the later stuff without Gabriel leaves me cold) but I have Lamb, if only mostly for the beautiful Carpet Crawlers. Simply gorgeous. It’s the only Genesis album I own.

3 Likes

My intro to Genesis all those years ago was ‘Seconds Out’. This is a live album from the early post-Gabriel era (1977). It includes ‘Carpet Crawlers’. It’s a great intro to songs from the early post-Gabriel era and there are older songs too. I then moved on to ‘A Trick of the Tail’ and ‘Wind and Wuthering’ (both 1976 - early post-Gabriel) and then ‘Foxtrot’ (1972 - Gabriel era) following a repeat of a 1972 BBC session on the radio. I don’t care for the later ‘pop’ Genesis and wouldn’t go for anything after ‘Duke’ (1980). For me, anything pre ‘Duke’ is good. When you first encounter bands as a teenager the introduction does depend on what is newly released and played on the radio or trending at school of course!

3 Likes

That is very true, my intro to Genesis started with Many Too Many and Follow You Follow Me from And Then There Were Three, which were being played when I was at school and I still enjoy, though I did tend to move backwards from there. Music was only accessible through listening at parties, borrowing albums and reading reviews in the music papers, so getting exposure to a full catalogue was very limited.
I think Seconds Out was my second album, which is a great selection with Gabriel tracks. I agree that Duke is probably the limit.

2 Likes

I decided to take a punt as it only cost me 50p. That said, my eldest son is a bit of muso and likes prog so if I don’t like it I could always regift it to him for Christmas! I might even stretch to a new jewel case before handing it over🤣

3 Likes

That just shows that bargains and gems can still be found in charity shops. Always good to recycle and spread the word.

2 Likes

‘ *This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly never makes the music too loud, only more intense. *
Carmen sings the blues straight from the heart, profoundly, with authenticity and heartfelt sincerity, eschewing any unnecessary embellishments.

"By framing each of Robert Johson’s songs with small instrumental miniatures
Carmen Gomes Inc. have created an album that sounds like an imaginary road movie.
Listening one perceives Robert walking late at night, en route in the Mississippi Delta, reflecting back on his life.
The low A, 27.5 khz, from the bowed down tuned double bass representing the Mississippi night, the drums creating the sounds surrounding the night and the guitar being Robert’s mind.
More than playing parts, guitarist Folker Tettero and drummer Bert are playing moods. I actually asked Bert to play the lyrics instead of the drums, a task I knew especially he would be able to fulfill.
Throughout the album Folker is in constant dialogue with Carmen’s melody line. Sometimes edging her on and at other times comforting her.
Folker decided to use an electric 12 string guitar on the small miniatures. The sounds he creates adds a whole new aspect to his musicianship and emphasizes his deep affinity for the blues.
Carmen is at the top of her game here. Her never the same way twice saxophone like phrasing showing her jazz heritage and why jazz is in such great debt to the blues.
Love in Vain in particular being a good example.

Engineer Frans De Rond created a one mic + set up. Adding two Josephson C700 microphones to the central Josephson C700s.
The benefit sound wise compared to the pure one mic setup being that Carmen’s voice and my double bass sound would not suffer when the band would at certain moments would raise the dynamic level."
[/quote]

3 Likes

Luck and strange, of course!

1 Like

I’m still wondering what a ‘passway’ is… stones in it sounds painful.