What was the last CD you bought

I have had quick comparative listen this morning, the originals and the remasters sound pretty much the same, though the remasters are a lot louder at the same volume. Probably not worth buying unless you are missing some from your collection.

1 Like

Me neither, Gazza! I must admit I have little perseverance, mainly because crossing the threshold of our local £land depresses me so much. Tried on 3 or 4 occasions and found nothing I’d spend 10p on!

Too many bargains on Amazon just now. Stevie for £6.99 and Miles for £1.99

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what albums did you compare?

But Seriously, Hello, I Must Be Going and Both Sides. I haven’t had a chance to listen to each album fully but I did compare parts of a couple of tracks on each, using ripped versions of the cd’s through roon, so the A/B switching was pretty quick. The only real noticeable difference In this very short test was the volume level, the remasters were considerably louder at the same volume setting. I did get 5 albums I didn’t have for £7.99, so the 8 cd box set is a bargain if you don’t already have his albums or are missing a some.

Just noticed the Phil Collins box set has gone up on Amazo from £7.99 to £14.21 in 3 days!!!

That’s inflation and you guys haven’t even left yet. :grin:

1 Like

1 Like

Are you sure the MD album isn’t on the Hallmark label? I just had a look on Amazon and noticed that Hallmark is now in the Miles Davis catalogue. I made this mistake on Moon Beams by Bill Evans. Whilst it sounds OK, I felt I was being cheated in some way.

What’s artist name please?

1 Like

Michael Kiwanuka

Yes it’s on the Hallmark label but it only cost £1.99, so no way feel cheated. Replaces a 128kbps MP3 I had of it

Hallmark do get criticism for poor sound and non existent sleeve notes, I wonder if they are out of copyright reissues or legitimate releases?

Chris

I suspect the former. At least with Amazon it’s usually (I stress usually) possible to determine the label. When I bought the Moon Beams CD it was also at £1.99 or so, but I couldn’t find a proper Riverside or OJC version.

Did you have a look on Discogs worth a try and the individual releases are usually listed?

Chris

Thanks, but I only use Discogs as a reference site. I’ve been burnt there with so called mint or as new description, so I need to allow time to heal the wound before trying again.

OK understood, but I find CD purchases are fine it’s vinyl that you have to be careful of. With CD’s I’m only ripping them once to my NAS…probably never to be put into a CD player again…but if CD is your source then yes you would want a decent copy.
Chris

My comments re Discogs purchase were in respect of vinyl. Like you, I only ever play CDs once - to copy them to my NS01, so have made several CD purchases from eBay.

Just bought this one, no idea if it is good but a trustworthy friend did recommend it:

3 Likes

Love and Rockets. Love and Rockets. I was recently reminded of the track, ‘So Alive’ released in 1989, I think. So I ordered the CD from Amazon.

1 Like