What was the last CD you bought

Sibelius’ Second, Rouvali and the Gothenburg.

This is shaping up to be some cycle :smiley:
I’m still in love with Vänskä but this is superb.

3 Likes

Bargain!

4 Likes

…arrived in the mail today

Ketil Björnstad - Grace

Ketil Bjørnstad (piano), Anneli Drecker (vocals), Bendik Hofseth (saxophones & vocals), Arild Andersen (double bass), Trilok Gurtu (percussion), Eivind Aarset (guitar & electronics) and Jan Bang (samplings & electronics).

2 Likes

…arrived in the mail (finally)

Avishai Cohen - Big Vicious

Avishai Cohen (Trumpet, Effects, Synthesizer), Uzi Ramirez (Guitar), Yonatan Albalak (Bass Guitar), Aviv Cohen (Drums) and Ziv Ravitz (Drums, Live Sampling).

Kandance Springs - The Woman Who Raised Me

Kandace Springs (vocalist, piano, Wurlitzer, Rhodes), Steve Cardenas (guitar), Scott Colley (acoustic bass), Clarence Penn (drums), Christian McBride (bass on track 1), Nora Jones (vocals, piano on track 2), David Sandborn (alto saxophone on track 3), Avishai Cohen (trumpet on track 4 and 6), Elena Pinderhughes (flute on track 5 and 11) and Chris Potter (tenor saxophone on track 7 and 8).

4 Likes

Completing my collection of the first 7 SD SHM CD’s, to replace/update the Citizen Box.

17 Likes

Michael Hedges

Aerial Boundaries

Edward

6 Likes

Van Morrison - No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

8 Likes

Excellent collection :+1:

1 Like

I’m having difficulty loading the images, but I’d be interested in your views of the SHM CDs vs. those in the Citizen SD box. Although I don’t have any SHM versions, I do have all the reissued/remastered versions as well as the Citizen SD box. In general I find the separate copies have improved sound, except for The Royal Scam, my favourite SD album, which sounds better in the box set. Of course, you need both in order to get the added tracks in the box set.

May I ask where you’re getting the SHM versions from?

2 Likes

Hi @Clive my Steely Dan SHM’s were bought via ‘the river’, or ‘the bay’ - with the last couple obtained from the auction site because new copies (sealed) were getting harder to find and also more expensive. I always check the CD version on Discogs to confirm year / issue type, and only buy from major sellers in Japan with great feedback. Delivery is generally a few weeks, though the last one only took 8 days!

I have my favourite 3 - The Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho - in the 2008 SHM Paper Sleeve Editions, and the other 4 - in the 2011 SHM (standard case) editions.

To answer your comparison question, I never had any of 1999 reissued/remastered issues, only the Citizen Box set. The main reason I like the SHM releases over the CD Box Set, is that (on my system) the vocals sound better, and everything is clearer. With the Box discs you could say they have a smoother more ‘rhythmic’ feel, but don’t have as much detail. Some people like the original releases, some the Citizen Box, some the remasters, and some the SHM’s. The only way to find out is to buy one (or borrow one from a very good friend) and decide yourself.

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful reply, Geoff. I’ll see what I can find from the sources you mention. Fortunately, I’m only keen to try The Royal Scam on SHM CD.

1 Like

Yim Yames’ Tribute To (George Harrison), nice mini collection of Onothimagain songs

No problem Clive, happy to help.

I see you have a very well specified LP12, so I am expecting that you own The Royal Scam on LP, and I wonder how does that compare to the CD versions you have?

No, I don’t have The Royal Scam on vinyl. It’s one of those albums I heard when I was at school and added to the mental to buy list, but never got around to. I was more into Yes, Caravan, Camel, Genesis etc. at the time and they absorbed the money earned from my Saturday job. It wasn’t until the Citizen Steely Dan CD box set came out that I caught up with Steely Dan.

Regarding the turntable, it is quite well specified, but tbh I find I use the ND555 far more. I shall probably change to a Karousel bearing and that might redress the balance.

1 Like

I got this recently as well. Forgot how good Peter Gabriels voice is on this album!

1 Like

After many recommendations on the “What are you listening to…” thread and having a quick listen on Qobuz,

Avishai Cohen & Big Vicious

5 Likes

A definite bargain.

2 Likes

Any good?

@Pete_the_painter, now I’ve had a good listen, its really not my cup of tea. It does have its moments and I reckon the musicians are very good at their craft. It’s well recorded but the trumpeter is a little too forward and a little too shrill for my liking.

Cheers, that helps. Thanks.

1 Like