What was the last CD you bought

Quite a contrast there, Geoff. I know which I prefer!

1 Like

Clive, I like them both, and amongst others in my collection, these also :sunglasses:

Avid Jazz has been putting out an excellent (in terms of SQ, curation and value for money) “four albums on 2 CDs” series for some time now, and this is the latest to arrive – the fourth in the series devoted to Stan Getz.

The four albums (two from 1957 and two from 1962) are: Stan Getz & JJ Johnson at the Shrine Auditorium Los Angeles; Big Band Bossa Nova; Jazz Samba (with Charlie Byrd) and Stan Getz & JJ Johnson At The Opera House.

6 Likes

4 Likes

They are very good value, but I’ve always assumed that Avid releases are all out of copyright and thus “public domain” if so the artist if still with us gets nothing from these releases or his or her estate if still alive, they’re not sanctioned by the original labels, won’t be from the master tapes and so will more than likely be copies of the original CD’s. Unless I’m wrong?

I don’t know Chris – i can probably find out if you or other forumites are interested…

@ChrisG @TheKevster I thought I had one of these, but it turns out it’s American Jazz Classics, which is two original CDs on one CD. It says it’s been remastered at 24 bit, so I assume they had access to the original tapes.

Just did a search on AVID and the internet speculation is that they’re either needle drops or copied from other CDs.

Sometimes though it’s impossible to get the original albums, certainly not at a reasonable price, so if you want the music it’s a logical choice to go for one of these. Proper is another such label, as is Hallmark.

I think Clive is correct, but I seldom find that these albums are unavailable either used or new singly on the original labels, obviously costing more than the 4 on 1 CD versions from Avid etc. That should be pretty much a guarantee that they are from the original tapes and whatever royalties etc. are due are paid.
I have one or two in my collection but have made a conscious decision not to purchase anymore for these reasons, it’s just a personal thing…but life is short…

All from a second hand stall, the lot for $50.00 bargain.

13 Likes

Great set of albums there @Pete_the_painter.

1 Like

Yes it’s a hippies dream, I’m surprised it was sold with a few joints. :rofl::grin:

1 Like

Yes Pete, nice haul there :+1:

1 Like

Pavlov‘s Dog - Prodigal Dreamer

1 Like

Faces - 1970 to 1975 You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything, 5cd Box Set

10 Likes

Waiting for this to drop through the post. Been trying to find some original or well regarded pressings of classic rock albums recently because I have got a bit fed up with some of the poorly re-mastered recordings of recent years. Looking forward to this arriving as the Castle pressings are seen by some as better than most. We’ll see :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I have this pressing myself @adeypoos, it’s very good as are the rest of Castle pressings for Sabbath and indeed other artist around this time. As an indicator this pressing has a dynamic range (DR) of 13 in comparison to a DR of 7 for bog standard/remaster CDs of the modern era. Enjoy!

3 Likes

I presume you are a Roon user by your dynamic range comment? I’m not but considering it.

Its amazing to have seen this thread today. I live at Hi-fi Corner and you would think CD’s are dead.

So many posters here also seem to have top streamers as well, including NDS555’s. Some are even canceling online subscriptions to spend more on the bargain CD’s that are available nowadays.

Is this the start of a CD revival. What does everyone think about the quality of CD vs Streaming? Why buy CD’s if streaming is better?

No, not a Roon user I have been using Audirvana for years and that will give you the DR.

I’ll still buy CDs even though I have retired my CD player. I just rip them and stream them and then I still have a physical copy.