What was the last CD you bought

Inspired by the Film Scores thread, Across the Stars: John Williams conducts and Anne-Sophie Mutter plays violin in a selection of reimagined versions of some of Williams’ themes (thankfully, not ‘just the usual ones):

I gritted my teeth and went to the River for the deluxe edition with several extra tracks. I’ve only watched the bonus DVD so far, where Mutter and Williams have a quite sweet chat about how much they like and admire each other) but I have high hopes for the CD tomorrow, both in terms of performance and recording quality (the great Shawn Murphy is credited as engineer).

Mark

1 Like

Wow - if this is the deluxe 6 CD version that currently retails on Amazon for £135 perhaps you could share your source?

It’s not the super duper deluxe, the normal 6 CD box with booklet

3 Likes

Williams and Mutter have recorded something similar with the Vienna Philharmonic and this comes out mid August.

Indeed - I’m agog to know what’s on the running order for the VPO disc. I can’t watch the concert online in the UK unfortunately.

Listening to Across the Stars now, and it’s quite excellent. The recording is nuanced and layered in just the right way; my new NAPSC is allowing me to hear all all sorts of details (even one or two, dare I say it, mistakes).

Mark

Hi Ebor

Sorry to use bad language but I found the following for the double v!*%l release

Disc: 1

1. The Flight to Neverland (From “Hook”)
  2. Excerpts (From “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”)
  3. Devil’s Dance (From “The Witches of Eastwick”) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  4. Adventures on Earth (From “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial”)
  5. Theme (From “Jurassic Park”)

Disc: 2

1. Main Title (From “Star Wars: A New Hope”)
  2. The Rebellion is Reborn (From “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”)
  3. Luke & Leia (From “Star Wars: Return of the Jedi”)
  4. Imperial March (From “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back”)
  5. Dartmoor, 1912 (From “War Horse”)
  6. Suite (From “Jaws”)
  7. Marion’s Theme (From “Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark”)
  8. Raider’s March (From “Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark”) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie

Vienna must be the home of the Imperial March.

1 Like

:laughing: Oh, very good! I think I’ve read that the VPO brass section requested the Imperial March and Williams said it was the best rendition he’d ever heard. If anyone had made that story up, it’d probably be considered offensive.

Mark

I’ve owned an NDS since 2013 and replaced that with an ND555 late in 2018. However, I’ve used both mostly as a replacement for CD player. The NDS certainly outperformed the CDS2, which I had before that (although some of that could have been due to the power supply - 555PS vs XPS) and the ND555 outperforms the NDS, now by quite a margin, although I do now use two 555PSs on the ND555.

Although I tried the Tidal streaming service on the NDS, I found too many problems, many of which could have been down to my lousy broadband. I do now have access to Qobuz, which I can stream at 16/44.1 and often at 24/96. Even at the higher resolution I’d say that Qobuz is outperformed by streaming 16/44.1 from my home server. And the downside of Qobuz is that it’s so easy to sample new albums that I probably buy more CDs now than I did before - music still sounds better from the server and as @seakayaker says, it’s nice to own the CD just in case…

This question is a “how short is a piece of string” question.

I have only thought about streaming in the last few months after joining the forum. I think I can start with listening to internet radio and a streaming service using a Naim streamer as a source but I have already overspent this year.

What’s the cheapest sensible box? An early ND5 XS would be around £1k but is this just going to put me off?

A bargain considering the mp3 download costs £40 on the same site !

1 Like

It is indeed and the price went even lower after I bought the set

9 Likes

By no means the last CD I bought, but I just found this in the case of my disc of Mozart 40 & 41 (Prague CO/Mackerras, Telarc 1986):

It’s the receipt from when I bought it in 1995, along with Brandenburgs 1-3 (Boston Baroque/Pearlman, 1995, also Telarc.

I’m astounded I paid over £14 for each of them as a student! Good investment, perhaps, since I’m still listening to them (with an Eulenberg study score which was £2 from Oxford Oxfam).

Mark

2 Likes

A student with a credit card. Now that’s dangerous!:grin:

Ha! It was actually a debit card but the till system clearly didn’t care.

I did have a CC in my student days, but never used it (tight-fisted northerner). I did buy a telly with it, years later, just to get the points which I used to get…, something. Can’t have been that great!

Mark

Just started listening to these. Purchased from Amazon at a bargain price.

9 Likes

Nikki Iles - Hush - wonderful jazz trio CD.

A couple from The Orb replacing some CDs “lost” from the collection.

6 Likes

Another replacement, snaffled from the Bay.

7 Likes

A Discogs purchase.
Filled a hole in my Stan Tracey collection.image
Well recorded piano.
N

1 Like