What was the last CD you bought

Excellent - I picked an immaculate copy up from a charity shop a few years ago.

If you want to check it’s definitely one of the earlier masterings, there are various changes compared to later ones. For example, does the brass section play in the earlier choruses of the title track?

Mark

1 Like

Ooops! Naughty me, buying a boot!

9 Likes

Joseph Haydn, Opera Gala. DDR Funkhausorchester Köln, Markus Pochner.

I think somebody mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I couldn’t find the post. Anyway it’s a 2-CD pack with seldom heard operas from Haydn. According to the booklet, Nikolaus Harnoncourt says that Haydn is as gifted an for Opera as he is for orchestral music. I’m eager to find out.

The first track sounds great and I’m waiting for the rest of the album.

Claude

2 Likes

Wow where did you get that info??? can you post a link???

From spending a lot of time in the deeper and obsessive recesses of the Hoffman forums. It was a long evening.

From memory, other differences are in the fadeout to TWYMMF, the holophonic breathing in the Smooth Criminal intro, the running time of Dirty Diana, and whether the spoken intro to IJCSLY is present or not. I don’t care much about any of them (although listening to the holophonics on headphones is fun), but Jerry Hey’s brass arrangement on the title track is so good, it’s a travesty it was ever cut down.

Mark

This thread is the most useful - there’s a bit of waffle and wandering off-topic posts (good job that never happens around here, am I right?), but the last post is a good summary:

Great cheers thanks for this…I will check it out!

2 Likes

Ivy, by bassist/guitarist Dion Kerr. Very decent contemporary jazz:

1 Like

Bought this set from HMV yesterday. Reduced from £44.99 to £16.99. Looking forward to comparing it to the other Beethoven concerto cycles I have (Ashkenazy, Arrau, Lewis and most recently Stephen Hough).

1 Like

The Gift, by the Conny Bauer Trio, on No Business Records, a Lithuania-based label.

1 Like

John Williams with the VPO and Anne-Sophie Mutter, recorded live in Vienna earlier this year:

It’s a Blu-ray ‘n’ CD package and I’m currently delighting in the Dolby TrueHD track on the former. I may not be able to take advantage of the 9.1.4 Atmos track, but it still sounds extraordinary. That acoustic! Those strings! That brass section!

Bringing back very happy memories of seeing him conduct the LSO at the Barbican in ‘96 and ‘97. He’s now 88, so doing very well. Long may he continue.

Mark

4 Likes

The brand-new Wollny:

3 Likes

Kate Westbrook’s new one with her Granite Band – Earth Felt The Wound:

My first Little Feat Album, not the last I feel!

16 Likes

Beautifully-recorded set of Beatles and Fabs-related covers.

3 Likes

FINK, Sort of Revolution. Stunning sound quality nice music, if this cd doesn’t sound good on your system i would question your system.

2 Likes

Nice 8-CD box set from New Continent, featuring complete albums by Howlin’ Wolf, BB King, Etta James, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, Freddy King, Professor Longhair, Johnny Guitar Watson, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Boobly Bland and Jimmy Reed.

7 Likes

Lloyd Cole 6 cd box set - His first 4 solo records, an unreleased album “Smile if you want to” (tracks appeared on later albums) and a 20 track demos disc.

Nicely packaged with a hardback book and posters.

Peter

5 Likes