What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Did they do any clog dancing.?

Just one song at the end, which drew a huge round of applause for it.

1 Like

Program
Beethoven: Violin Concerto
Brahms: Symphony No. 1

Muti contracted Covid so at the last minute his assistant conductor Lina González-Granados stepped in.
Mutter’s violin was fine and delicate sometime more of a whisper in some spots. She did not get going till the last cadenza where she showcased her flexibility and precision. I prefer more Heifetz style of gutsy weightier playing tho it was interesting interpretation for the score.

Gonzalez-Granados’ Brahms was mixed. She did nothing wrong but I thought it lacked dynamic expressions lacking tensions. The quiet movement suffered the most from this flat-lined direction. I got the feeling the orchestra musicians were on an auto-pilot.

2 Likes

Paul Weller at Chelsea……….with a certain ex Chancellor also in attendance !

3 Likes

Small venue for The Mission, nice drum sound as always.

1 Like

Capercaillie + Michael McGoldrick + BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra

The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall

Brilliant concert great music from start to finish.

Michael McGoldrick + BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra added greatly to the music of Capercaillie, a very enjoyable night of music.

I have many Capercaillie albums but this was my first time seeing them live.

Edward

3 Likes

Taken last night - anybody like to make a guess?

Hint: there was a bit of Stravinsky…

4 Likes

Yes always used to start their concerts with an excerpt from “The Firebird”?

1 Like

And they still do. :slight_smile:

Symphony Hall, Birmingham

Their first gig since the loss of Alan I believe? Presumably they marked this in some manner, as they did after Chris’s passing (his white Rickenbacker bass standing in the spotlight solo was a suitably touching tribute).
This was the Close to the Edge gig wasn’t it? I assume that there were additional pieces played? Be interested to read your impressions on the concert.

Norah Jones played at the Greek Theater in Berkeley California last night. Had a lovely time.

6 Likes

Last Saturday (18 June) in Walthamstow… Ese & The Vooduu People.

Joining Ese were Sheena (vocals), Jackson (keyboards and synth bass – Indigo was in Denmark, so Jackson channelled his inner Manzarek), Pharoah (drums) and Noel (percussion). A brilliant gig, at which Ese made full use of her growing FX board (see below):

Good to catch up again with @steviebee and Laura too.

Ese & The Vooduu People Setlist Ye Olde Rose and Crown Theatre Pub, Walthamstow, London, England 2022
Edit this setlist | More Ese & The Vooduu People setlists
4 Likes

Can’t wait to order the new album on the 10 th, my burstday present to myself❤️

1 Like

We only start recording it on your birthday @Gazza… might not be finished for a few months after that. CD and DL likely to be out before the vinyl, given all the delays right now with that format…

1 Like

As always, a memorable night. EVP were on fyah.
Brilliant gig - I’ll take that anytime over the corporate singalong of (urgh…) ‘Glasto’.

What’s the Hendrix one?

1 Like

Oh got that one wrong………hope it goes well😥

1 Like

It’s an Octaver @steviebee - and Ese has just got herself a little Big Muff too…

Although she’s struggling with the violin bow I bought her…

4 Likes

@steviebee – going to see Pharoah’s band Mama Sutra at Upstairs at Ronnie Scott’s tonight for a late late show (onstage at 11.15) and Ese and Noel are gonna sit in on a couple of numbers.

2 Likes

Gosh looked them up on you tube……they are great as well, do they have any recordings? You will have a great night👍

1 Like

Dammit… I’d forgotten it! Sadly (probably just as well as Mr Rotten’s gift of his cold has slayed me this week - luckily it didn’t take hold until the day after Ese’s gig), I’m in no state to go.

Enjoy - I’ll read your write-up!

1 Like