What was the last concert / gig you attended?

I went to Badbadnotgood gig at the Kentish Town O2 a few years ago and it was truly awful. I’ve really enjoyed some of their recordings but live was disappointing, not helped by dreadful sound. Shame

1 Like

We went to a Kentish Town O2 gig some years ago and the sound was dire then as well. Can’t remember the artist. I wonder if it’s the venue?

Thomas Søndergård/CSO + Francesco Piemontesi

Program
Stravinsky
Symphony of Psalms

Beethoven
Piano Concerto No. 2

Sibelius
Symphony No. 2

Schubert
Impromptu in G-flat Major, D. 899 [Encore]

![d7730a89-0117-401e-bcd1-82cb380488bd|375x500]

(upload://fMocksvCayC07Z997OOboGPiECd.jpeg)

Somewhat disappointing performance and acoustics. I do not know what CSO did but the bass section was too bloated and trumpet section was too bright sounding like a fleet of kazoos. I do not know this pianist before this concert but I felt that it was done too heavy handed. I prefer more lyrical styling for the No. 2 PC. He also offered Schubert’s Impromptu as an encore which is my fave but again I felt it was lacking in fluidity. No singing hand there.

Sibelius Symphony No.2 is also a great piece. what’s not to like. My friend in the evening who has heard it for the first time was humming it after the concert. For me, I still prefer Lenny’s or Szell/VPO’s nuanced reading. Sondargrad’s was a bit bland. The last time when I have heard this piece was with Micheal Tilson Thomas with CSO.

This Symphony was premiered in Chicago on January 1 1904 not in the current Orchestra Hall ( constrution was still on going ) but the Auditorium Theatre after the lockdown (The city ordered the entire theaters to be inspected for fire codes ) from the infamous Chicago Iroquois Theatre fire tragedy.

I need to sit on the Stravinsky piece a bit longer.

I am officially jealous.
One of my musical heroes and a terrific live entertainer.

Are you in the UK?
He’s in London July 2023.

Thanks. Yes I did check, and he’s in Hyde Park (London) on 7th July.
Unfortunately prices for general admission start at just over £100 per person. If you want to stand (no seating) within 50 yards of the stage it’s close to £200.
I’d like to see BJ live again but I refuse to be gouged for standing a mile away from the stage in a public park.

3 Likes

Electric six last night in Liverpool. Super live band who really should be bigger than they are. Very good live act

Kate Rusby’s Christmas concert in Birmingham (UK) last night. This a regular for Mrs. G and I. Always fun, always entertaining. She performs a mix of folk- ified Xmas songs, and a rehash of very old to ancient folk songs with a Xmas theme.

A nifter of gluhwein in the German Christmas market right outside the venue is as ever, a bonus.

1 Like

Vienna National Opera - NOW

6 Likes

Just one word…
AMAZING!

2 Likes

Nick Lowe at Nell’s in west London a few weeks ago. Just him, a guitar and a set list on a sheet of A4.

Nice Turkish (‘Best Mangal’) down North End Road a few yards, where we ate first. Also very good.

2 Likes

Alter Bridge at the O2 last night in London

The band were on great form with a set across their career. The new songs sounded particularly good.

Support from Mammoth WVH and Halestorm - a bit raw for me - but a photo for @QuickSticks whose enthusiasm encouraged me to check them out.

3 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed it @By-Tor
To really appreciate Lzzy & the boys, you need to do a proper Halestorm headline gig😊

1 Like

The Cure at Wembley last night. 2nd song was pictures of you so for me was hard to beat that ! Great concert though. Always worth seeing Robert live.

7 Likes

The Cure at Wembley on Monday night. First time I’ve seen them live since 1981 and well worth the wait and if there is to be a next time hopefully it won’t be too long a wait.
I thought the songs from the album they are working on now were great especially Endsong so come on Mr Smith, get that album out there!

3 Likes

I saw and heard them in Amsterdam earlier that week. Stunning gig indeed!

2 Likes

Steve Hogarth + guests at St John The Evangelist in Oxford last night. Absolutely stunning concert - the audience were even invited to join h on the stage for the final song. Mark Kelly guested on Neverland and Estonia.

4 Likes

Corn Flakes?

Yes! On Steve’s podcast, he’d been asked to define his fellow band members as cornflakes, so the podcast co-host (Ant Short, on the right) bought h and Mark their respective cornflakes as a Christmas gift. All completely daft, but yet great fun at the same time.

2 Likes

That’s a lovely looking venue and I imagine a great and intimate gig. I would loved to had been there.