What was the last concert / gig you attended?

MTT + CSO

Program

Mozart
Six German Dances, K. 509
Piano Concerto No. 23

Brahms (Orch. Schoenberg)
Piano Quartet No. 1

Performers

Conductor: Micheal Tilson Thomas
Soloist: Orion Weiss

It was so nice to see MMT last night. I see he gained some weight and needed some help walking down from the podium but he was able to conduct without sitting down. He looked good! For those who do not know he was diagnosed with a brain cancer.

The program started with a collection of light fluffy tunes Mozart six dances. Nothing serious cream puffs. Then Mozart Piano Concert No.23. Popular tune played many times by notabble pianists including Horowitz, Joao Pires and Pollini et all. This was one of the most uninspiring stiffest reading I have ever heard. He was awful!

I was curious about the schoenberg orchestration of Brahms Piano Quartet No.1. For one, I could not imagine how anyone can put orchestra to this complex chamber music and two, my expectation was generally low due to my aversion to Shoenberg’s work. But to my surprise, actually It was easier to follow than the chamber version. I had no idea Mr. atonal Arnie had it in him! For most of the score sounded like Brahms except his addition of cymbals, chimes and xilophone in 3rd and 4th movements where it reminded me of Warner Brother’s cartoon and I just can’t see Brahms doing that! ( maybe Mahler might… :thinking: ) Aside from those unbecoming percussive renditions, MMT did a great job, albeit less animated than his usual, keeping the score fresh and springy throughout and still maintained Brahms expressive romanticism.

I have attended many MMT concerts around the country. Particularly his Mahler’s 9th was potent as I almost felt Mahler himself was on the podium. He is 78 this year and hope his prognosis good. But I got the feeling ( and the audience and band members ) know this might have been his last concert in Chicago.

Maestro,
I hope you’ll stick around a bit longer. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

ABBA in London on Sunday night.

I’m speechless - stunning production and a wonderful show. Next time I’m getting a seat as these older legs are not built for all that standing and bopping! Thanks to all for your feedback up to now - you were so right.

Peter

5 Likes

Was so happy to see Mitsuko Uchida for the first time live with the piano concerto nr. 2 of Beethoven. And then after the break a steaming hot Rite Of Spring….

6 Likes

I see Hrusa is back in the EU…Which band?
Did you like her piano playing?

It’s the Bamberger Symphoniker his main orchestra. To her playing tonality great - for the rest I was not super impressed…. (Not saying it was bad) but you sense her grandeur……

Thanks Bert!
You are so polite. I can’t stand Uchida’s playing generally and for life of me I do not understand why she’s so highly regarded. Like watching a child birth. :roll_eyes:
Bet Hrůša’s La Sacré was more than OK.

I don’t agree so much on your general statement on Mitsuko…., her Mozart Piano Sonatas are reference recordings…, and other recordings are mostly also quite decent.
The Rite of Spring was great…., Hrusa is one of the better “younger” conductors around…

1 Like

For Mozart my reference is Gulda. Bar none.

Ben Folds at the Sage Gateshead in November. Have seen him many times over the years and never disappoints.

I bet that was fun! Love Ben Folds Five! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Post punk with weapons grade bass at my workplace last night. Jah Wobble and band playing “Metal Box-Rebuilt in Dub” plus a blistering rendition of “Public Image” at Edgehill University in Ormskirk.

5 Likes

NMA - Nottingham Rock City…rubbish oversold venue, poor sound with soft drums, nice set though so 1/3 should be considered a plus…another corporate hotel unable to make a white russian, nice old fashioned and espresso martini though…maybe my priorities are amiss :rofl::cocktail:

1 Like

Hahn + Franck/CSO

Just back from a fantastic concert with Hilary Hahn on a fiddle and Mikko Franck on the baton. He cancelled the engagement with the CSO several times due to Covid or his illness but today on Sibelius's Birthday he finally made it to Chicago!

I have Hilary’s 2001 recording of the Brahms piece and whilst it is beautifully played missing a bit of gusto. My favourite reference for this concerto is Heifetz/Reiner/CSO set so generally preferring someone with firm and strong grip. Fast forward 20+ years and Hilary definitely is more confident not afraid to go out on the limb. She was really matured as an artist over time. I wished she offered Heifetz’s cadenza but it was a usual Joachim set. Franck’s direction and orchestra was a completely in unison with the soloist and very rhythmic. Especially finally dance movement was down right infectious! Chemistry between Hahn and Franck also was excellent. I could see both musicians really enjoying making the music together.

Tristan und Isolde’s Prelude was equally expressive and good use of pauses. I love this piece especially the ending was beautifully poignant.

Sibelius’ 7th a one of the last symphony he wrote before his premature retirement. Unmistakably Sibelius vivid and vast, Chicago brass section rose to the occasion creating larger than life soundscape. Coda is rather subtle compared to his earlier compositions but Franck managed to keep enough tension sustaining my interest till the last fading note.

Program

Brahms
Violin Concerto

Wagner
Prelude to Tristan und Isolde

Sibelius
Symphony No. 7

Performers

Conductor: Mikko Franck
Violin: Hilary Hahn

3 Likes

The wonderful Unthanks this evening on their ‘Unthanks in Winter’ tour. A mixture of carols, covers of wintery songs and new material. Included the brilliant ‘Tar Barrel in Dale’ which we all sang along to.

Supported by Katherine Priddy who is a revelation - what a voice! She is playing at the Union Chapel in May so will definitely get tickets for that

The other thing of note was the venue tonight EartH in Hackney. My new favourite venue in London. An Art Deco cinema built in 1934 that is now an arts venue - very atmospheric and superb acoustics.

4 Likes

It used to be a Savoy cinema. Looks really cool!

3 Likes

I went to see Tom and Ed from Chemical Brothers being interviewed there last Monday. It is a great venue. A bit cold though !

3 Likes

Unfortunately it’s been built around since then so definitely prettier on the inside than the outside!

4 Likes

Yup super venue Crispy - went there in November to see Irreversible Entanglements. Love the sloping bleachers. Only weird thing is access by one small staircase - suppose they flogged off the foyer to the downstairs retail unit.

2 Likes

@crispyduck
I really must get to EartH (work prevented me seeing Irreversible Entanglements in Nov), especially seeing as it’s local…thanks for the pics, it does look good (love the Art Deco glass roof panel).

1 Like

Top place. Also has a very decent Turkish restaurant, Istanbul, directly next door so I was a very happy bunny!

2 Likes