What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Terence Blanchard & the E-Collective with a funky string quartet at Ronnie Scott’s. The early show. Not convinced at first but coalesced into a great gig. Would have happily stayed for the later set (with another bottle of Fleurie natch)

4 Likes

Judas Priest, Glasgow Hydro, 11th March.

6 Likes

Vienna Teng

In the intimate atmosphere of the Unterfahrt Jazz Club in Munich last Tuesday, we enjoyed a wonderfully engaging, charismatic performance from this so very talented singer-songwriter-multi-instrumentalist.

Interspersing audience requests for favourite songs with new material from an upcoming album and amusing anecdotes from her life and career, Vienna captivated her audience.

Her piano playing was just amazing, she claims to “cheat” on guitar with open-tuning but she is an excellent guitarist and made impressive use of a looper throughout the performance on various instruments.

Right up there with the most memorable gigs we’ve had the pleasure to see.

2 Likes

OMD at The Halls in Wolverhampton last night, supported by the fabulous Walt Disco. Great gig despite vocal problems; the crowd pulled Andy through.

2 Likes

Argerich/Dutoit + Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo

Program:

FAURÉ :*PAVANE*, OP.50

BEETHOVEN: PC1, OP.15
STRAVINSKY: L’OISEAU DE FEU (BALLET COMPLET, VERSION 1910)

Finally got to hear Martha perform! Three times a charm. Her recital has been cancelled so many times one reasons or another I was not sure if she was going to actually show up!

Dutoit was lucky strike extra since he has been kicked out of the US I have not seen him since the #metoo fiasco. Consequently Martha also boycotted playing in the US as a protest.

PC1 was a pure Martha. Spirited and fun with absolutely no missed keys! Usually a pianist in that age rate ( she’s 80 ) usually misses a key or two. Not Martha. Her playing was sharp and articulate but what makes her style so special is that she’s got a relaxed almost humourous attitude. Never get too serious! I always imagined that that’s how Beethoven played. And thee encores she played were also exquisite particularly Debussy piece. It was so vivid and magical. It was certainly worth the trip!

Firebird, OTOH, I felt bad for Dutoit as clearly this Orchestra which I am not very familiar with was not as technically up to it as CSO. But it was a crowd pleaser for sure and I did enjoy his rhythmic conducting style. But it was so nice to see them both!

The venue was much smaller than I thought but lovely situated in the ocean front.

11 Likes

Mary Wallopers, Manchester Academy. Organised rioting to Irish music

1 Like

Pixies Kentish Town Forum
Tremendous gig. One of my all time favourite bands but I hadn’t been a fan of their work after the first four albums, but this was back to back Bossanova and Trompe le Monde so the set list was top notch. Band in great form and Charles / Frank seemed to be enjoying himself. For me the PA could have been louder and punchier.

2 Likes

Steve Hackett - Mobile Alabama March 17th

6 Likes

Noel Gallagher at the RAH.

Angela Rayner on the tambourine. Well, maybe not :joy:

2 Likes

Beach Boys tribute band today at Theatre on the Steps Bridgnorth…joyous music …sunshine songs.

1 Like

Simple Minds - nice show, drums a little soft but the lady knew how to use her sticks… reasonable Old Fashioned to finish off the evening :yum:

St. John Passion Trevor Pinnock + Concertgebouw Orchestra

Coir: Great Broadcasting Choir

tenor:Mauro Peter
bass: Matthew Rose
alto: Wiebke Lehmkuhl
bass:Johannes Weisser
soprano: Lydia Teuscher

For some reasons Bach Passions have not been performed at the Orchestra Hall to this was my first experience listening to it live in Amsterdam. It is powerful and moving I very much enjoyed Pinnock’s direction and all the soloists! I was not sure about the sound because we were sitting on the podium but the voices were just fine and did not lose any impact.

4 Likes

Monday 25th March : The Songlines concert at the Barbican, I can live without Balkan dance music but the Balimaya Project were new to me and wonderful (and selling their music on LP afterwards) show ended with an astonishing acoustic set from Salif Keita accompanied by Madou Diabate on Kora, I don’t know if transcendent risks me getting into Pseuds Corner but it was really mind blowing, just beautiful. The picture is Balimaya.

3 Likes

First visit to my local’s folk night. Poor turnout but the music was pleasant enough.

6 Likes

Kid Kapichi at Concorde 2 tonight. Cracking night!

1 Like

Rickie Lee Jones at the Factory in Marrickville Sydney. Small venue enthusiastic crowd and spectacular performance. I’ve seen a few of my favourites over past few years and I don’t know if it’s the sht I’m going through or just the shear excitement but I couldn’t stop tearing up.

Sorry about the quality of the photos.

18 Likes

Sounds like she-delivered in “spades”……nice to be tearful and happy❤️

3 Likes

Nice one Pete, you sure deserve the lift for your soul.

1 Like

Cheers. :+1:

2 Likes

One of the tune I cry every time I hear it is ‘Company’. There are several covers of this tune but Ricki’s delivery is what really gets me. :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes