What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

John Lee Hooker - It Serve You Right to Suffer, Impulse/Elemental (2023)

Nice pressing not sure of the details but it sounds plenty good on my P8.

4 Likes

An early Xmas present from those nice people at Craft Latino:

John Martyn - Solid Air

4 Likes

Nobody bought the latest Aja reissue yet and care to share their thoughts perhaps?

Listened to Sprit of Eden last night, thought I better buy Laughing Stock as only had this on CD and hadn’t listened to it for 20+ years. Just played twice through and an absolute masterpiece! Will file it in my Jazz section as more appropriate then anything else.

4 Likes

Bought this album yesterday. Both formats vinyl and CD.

Empty house this Sunday morning…

So, just listened to SW “the harmony codex” all the way through, (proper listen, reasonable sound level)… Amazing.

Note: had played sections of the album several times already - several tracks available prior to release - streaming from Qobuz. So, already knew it was likely a “good un”.

Some albums are a slow burn. Others are an instant hit. But no guarantees, sometimes albums are played once or twice and don’t really impress beyond. However, this one is an instant hit and a keeper.

it’s such a good album. Love this new piece from Mr Wilson. As expected from SW, exceptional production in the studio. Right now, might suggest his best work to date. That good.

Happy listening
R

8 Likes

Art Pepper - Art Pepper Memorial Collection Vol 3 I’ll Remember April, Trio Records Japan (1983).

Wow what a recording looking back it’s astonishing that such a talent was aloud to go in and out of prison for years on end because he suffered from what in many countries is now considered a health issue.

Would a talent as huge as this be aloud to fall through the cracks today it’s hard to say but you would have to hope not. His playing on I’ll remember April recorded at Foothill College, Los Angeles in 1975 is incredibly good.

2 Likes

The Milcho Leviev Quartet - True Blues, Mole Jazz, (1981)

Another excellent live recording featuring Art Pepper in full swing the second of two albums recorded at Ronnie Scott’s in the Summer of 1981.

Beautifully pressed and beautifully recorded Fisherman’s Blues part 1 of the set is on my must buy list.

3 Likes

Art Pepper - Artworks, Omnivore (2023)

Art fronts a Quartet featuring George Cables, Billie Higgins and Charlie Haden.

Recorded in 1979 an exceptional recording especially Art’s solo rendering of You Go To My Head.

These Omnivore reissues are excellent value for money and a must buy if you are a fan of Art Pepper.

Art Pepper - New York Album, Omnivore (2023)

The same recording date as Artworks but a different Quartet featuring Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Al Foster.

Equally as good as Artworks and featuring another beautiful Art Pepper solo track Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be).

I was always on the lookout for a decently priced copy of the box set these albums come from so when they announced these separate reissues I pre ordered them all.

Again excellent vfm.

1 Like

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way, Columbia (2023)

Second Pressing of Mofi’s reissue this is one they got absolutely right Digital step or not it is sonically right up there with the very best.

In my humble opinion this record towers over Bitches Brew in every way and I just don’t understand it doesn’t get the same plaudits.

10 Likes

Dexter Gordon Quartet - Swiss Nights Vol 3, Steeplechase Records, (1975)

All three of these Zurich Jazz Festival recordings from August 1975 are brilliantly recorded get the Danish first pressings if you can.

The quartet features an on fire Kenny Drew the brilliant Niels-Henning Orsted and Alex Riel on Drums. Vol 3 opens with an A1 version of Duke Elingtons Sophisticated Lady.

I picked this up for about a fiver and it’s as good as any modern reissue I’ve heard.

2 Likes

Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings Again, Timeless/MOV (2022)

I got this brand new reissue for £10.99 on eBay I know some of you managed to get a copy after I posted it above but it’s sold out now.

These Music on Vinyl Timeless reissues are all excellent and at least equal to the originals. I’m especially pleased because the cover is much better quality than my original.

2 Likes

Certainly agree that IASW is a wonderful album and the MFSL release is just fab…I don’t measure it against or with BB - they’re masterpieces both.

Having bought the MFSL Way, I had no hesitation in getting Brew (just arrived), and Jack Johnson is in the post.

Three classic Miles - I love em all.

7 Likes

Chet Baker - ‘Cools Out’, Boplicity TP
(1985)

A Test Pressing of Boplicity’s 1985 release originally released on Chet Baker & Crew.

I have both the Boplicity original and a Pure Pleasure reissue of Chet Baker and Crew and have just spent a happy 40 minutes comparing all three.

I have to say there is very little in it all three mono recordings are excellent sadly I’ve not heard an original Vogue or Pacific Jazz but I’d be more than happy than any of these.

I especially concentrated on the track Pawnee Junction and Bill Loughbrough’s chromatic timpani which on the Boplicity Test Pressing was out in the room with me.

I know @Richard.Dane is a big fan of the Boplicity reissues and in the case he is bang on especially the Test Pressing which just beats the other two versions but as I’ve said I’d be more than happy with either one.

2 Likes

Well it was only a matter of time till I got this, 2023 Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series… :sunglasses: :+1:t3:

9 Likes

Andre Previn & His Pals - West Side Story, Contemporary/Carrere

1980’s reissue of this brilliant 1960 release hopefully it just needs a clean which I’ll do when I have time.

I’ve a few Carrere reissues and they are all very good so I’m hoping that a good clean will sort it out and it’s not the dreaded groove wear because at the moment it just sounds dead.

1 Like

I have the Mofi Bitches Brew too and it does sound brilliant it just hasn’t resonated with me yet I just cannot seem to pull it all together in my head when I’m listening to it if that makes sense.

Yeah, took me a couple of listens when I first heard it on release (on the radio. I didn’t buy a copy until the mid 70’s). Far ahead of it’s time back then. But I’d heard Trout Mask Replica the year before so…

(I love TMR)

Then, shortly after BB, I heard Larry Coryell’s Spaces and everything just clicked.

(Love that, too!)

I don’t have the MFSL LP of ‘In A Silent Way’, but I was playing the CBS (?) LP a few years ago and I thought that there was something wrong with my equipment, as I could hear a persistent hum, which was driving me nuts.

After switching everything off, unplugging and checking the various cables and interconnects, and switching everything back on again, the hum was still there.

Eventually, I realised that what I could hear was the humming of the valve amps that Miles and his fellow musicians were using in the recording studio!

3 Likes