What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I only ever bought the CD’s from PW through Heliocentric.
The problem with vinyl during the nineties was that many labels werent really interested in producing properly mastered and pressed LP’s. Often just using the same CD mastering to cut an LP and trying to squeeze CD length playing times on to a single LP, for example I think Wild Wood has a playing time approaching 30 mins per side, thats a sure recipe for sonic disaster.

1 Like

Betty Davis - They Say I’m Different. A reissue of this 1974 record on the Light In The Attic label, this is tremendous hard funk music with a blues edge on some tracks and it sounds excellent. I already have it on CD, but I couldn’t resist getting it on vinyl. Contains a poster and a booklet - it’s quite a nice package. Betty was certainly ahead of her time.

6 Likes

Also bought this Betty Davis reissue at the same time as the one above. This is her first record from 1973 and is just as good as the one mentioned above. Contains contributions from members of Sly And The Family Stone and the Pointer Sisters.

5 Likes

Pure gold from Nick Drake.

3 Likes

Michael Smith - Mi Cyann Believe It (UMG/Island re issue 2023)

I saw that UMG are re issuing ten albums for Black History Month including this absolute Jamaican Dub Poetry classic. So yesterday I dug out my original 1982 press of the album, see the link for the info and more about Michael Smith that I posted yesterday…

Anyway the re issue piqued my interest as these titles are cut and mastered at Abbey Rd and this one has been extended with four of the instrumental cuts produced by Dennis Bovell with The Dub Band, members of Aswad and others.
Perhaps predictably its not as good sounding as my original and the instrumental cuts I note are tagged on to the end of each side and sound like there cut at slightly less volume to the rest of the album which make them sound a little anti climactic.
On its own merit the sound is probably OK and the pressing is good, so probably still worth checking in the abscence of a good clean original, especially if Dub Poetry like Linton Kwesi Johnson, Mutabaruka etc is up your street.

:heart:

3 Likes

Though perhaps not immediately evident, it’s the 50th Anniversary Edition & it’s going on next😊

8 Likes

What/who is it?

1 Like

Visit to Uptown today. Purchases left in garage to lose their pre-owned aroma…

5 Likes

Is it any different from the standard’ LP?

It’s been remastered by James Guthrie, who is a Floyd recording engineer alumnus.
He didn’t do the Original as he only started working with them in 1978.
It is very clean and sharp. Dare I say my original 1973 copy never sounded this good🤷🏻‍♂️

2 Likes

I think that James Guthrie gets a credit on ‘The Wall’, but I am too lazy to go up four storeys of my house to check the sleeve!

Yep, he did that one and all the others including Final Cut, Momentary Lapse of Reason & Division Bell apparently.

James Guthrie is one of the best engineers working today. He has mostly worked with Pink Floyd (including some post-Waters stuff), Roger Waters, and - sometimes - Gilmour. He is the only person the group trust with their music. He was engineer/co-producer on The Wall and The Final Cut, and was FOH engineer at the Wall concerts in 1980-81.

In addition, he created the superb SACD and multi-channel mixes for DSOTM, Animals and WYWH.

He also remastered Kate Bush’s catalogue in 2018 and has worked with artists such as Heatwave, Toto, Queensrÿche, Carpenters, Judas Priest, Boomtown Rats, and even, early in his career, Paul Nicholas and Alvin Stardust!

7 Likes

Ah yes, those classic Alvin Stardust albums. All of them.

1 Like

A bit of spending today in Newark….

2 x DSOTM and a bit of Tool (Lateralus)

6 Likes

Snoop Dog - Doggystyle, Death Row Records (2023)

Can’t believe this is 30 years old and I was 23 when it came out.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder how much more milk can be extracted from a cow :wink:

I must admit Dread, I am not in the least curious to play Waters’ DSotM Redux.
I have got to the stage that he just wants to change things to be able to say, “ My version without them is better!”
It’s a shame, as when he is working on new material and leaving the Floyd carnage alone, he is much more interesting. (IMHO)

1 Like

I lost interest in the PF behemoth years ago up to and including The Wall, I hardly ever play them these days.