What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

I have this album cover but I think your RCA release cover is better.

I still hear his name on Radio 4 extra “produced by Pete Atkin….”

IMG_8173

4 Likes

Now Playing…

Tori Amos - Scarlet’s Hidden Treasures

Tori Amos (Bösendorfer Piano, Fender Rhodes Piano, Wurlitzer Electric Piano, Vocals), Mac Aladdin (Acoustic Guitar), Matt Chamberlain (Drums) and Jon Evans (Bass Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this Monday morning with Tori’s 2023 remaster of ‘Scarlet’s Hidden Treasures’ originally released in 2004. …and Tori and the band are sounding sublime!

14 Likes

Oh, now that’s entirely possible…:thinking:

1 Like

I happen to hear it now…

17 Likes

Van Halen
What a debut

13 Likes

Michael Smith - Mi Cyaan Believe It (Island LP 1982)

Dug out my original 1982 pressing of this superb dub poetry classic. Prompted by the fact that I see UMG have re issued it for the first time since original release as far as Im aware and in slightly expanded form.

Produced by Linton Kwesi Johnson and Dennis Bovell in London with the Dub Band (Matumbi), members of Aswad, Rico and other fine players.

Michael Smith was the real deal, an outspoken poet and political activist, there was a reall buzz on this guy in the early eighties but he was sadly murdered in Kingston surrounding events at a political rally where Mikey was brutally stoned to death by right wing thugs.
I remember some ignorant music journo in one of the mainstream papers (Sounds, NME…) crassly awarding Mikey the I got really stoned last night award grrrrrrr!

Anyway, I havent heard it, but if the new re issue sounds any good, I see they have squeezed some extra instrumental cuts onto the single vinyl which could be great or a sonic disaster, then I highly recommend checking it out.

Here is an interview with Paul Bradshaw shortly before his murder…

:heart:

4 Likes

Yet another artist from the dawn of time that I seem to have completely missed in my youth. With Julie Driscoll on vocals this organ led jazz funk is a lot of fun.

So much music, so little time :thinking:

10 Likes

Listening to this now while I see him live with the same program this Thursday….

9 Likes

Bruce Springsteen, The River. Qobuz.

12 Likes

Very jealous that you are seeing him live - couldn’t get the UK dates to work for me

John Martyn - Solid Air - 1973

I seem to be in this routine of having an ‘artist of the week’ at the moment, rather than the usual whimsical random picks. It’s happened with Donald Byrd, New Order, Dave Holland, Talking Heads and a few others of late.
I’ll see a doctor if it persists.

27 Likes

Original mono New York USA LP.

11 Likes

Playing on CD - Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard

22 Likes

Europe

Wings Of Tomorrow

Edward

3 Likes

On my way to a business meeting in France, Le Mans to be precise, off the train and spotted a CD shop. Late for the meeting but picked up this gem. Can’t remember the meeting but still remember this album.

Almost a Fairport Convention album with John Hiatt on backing vocals. Some superb guitar playing from Richard Thompson.

Richard Thompson - Hand of Kindness

23 Likes

Frank Zappa | Hot Rats | 1969
It was a big part of my musical yoof and still remains that today.

13 Likes

Belle And Sebastian - If You’re Feeling Sinister - CD

9 Likes

Now playing…

Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway - City of Gold

Molly Tuttle (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Kyle Tuttle (Banjo, Vocals), Jerry Douglas (Dobro), Bronwyn Keith-Hynes (Fiddle, Vocals), Dominick Leslie (Mandolin), Dave Matthews (Vocals), Shelby Means (Bass, Vocals) and Jordan Perlsan (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this morning with this July 20th release from Molly and the Golden Highway and they are sounding mighty sweet!

10 Likes

Great call!:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Inherited my dearly departed grandparents’ record collection recently. Nestled withing the reams of Irish folk albums and choral bangers were original copies of Bob Marley’s Legend LP and Waiting in Vain 12" single. Both records look absolutely ragged but play almost perfectly…

19 Likes