What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Nice set to have, Kev. I have the stand alone vinyl of Under…, a reissue.

Picking up my VMP issue of De Stijl in the morning. Never owned that LP, or indeed their first.
Hmmm, must remedy that.

Archie Schepp & Horace Parlan - Trouble in Mind, SteepleChase (1980)

Not the wailing, gnashing of teeth Archie Schepp but an altogether different sound accompanied by one of the greatest Jazz piano players Horace Parlan. Horace is right up there with Red Garland and Bill Evans though not as prolific the records he did put out are all top drawer.

4 Likes

Oscar Peterson - Oscar Peterson Vol 1 action - MPS (1971)

This is the 2nd record from the Exclusively For My Friends series I own the other Girl Talk is also excellent. Action features a Trio including Ed Thigpen and Ray Brown playing some beautiful standards like a lot of Jazz players I prefer Oscar when he slows things right down.

6 Likes

4 Likes

A trio of lovely-looking Chet Baker Riverside reissues on Craft Recordings. All mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant. Look forward to listening to these over Easter.

6 Likes

Perfectly quiet pressing and sounds very good. Comparing it to my MFSL 45rpm is a close one. Keeping interpretations to basic, the MFSL sounds bigger, more punch, more thumpy bass, more fun, more live performance. The Abbey is a tiny bit more resolving, sweeter, more like listening to a record and a little bit tame.

Overall, if I had to own just one copy, I’d choose the MFSL, but I’m glad I have both.

P.S. This Abbey went out of stock quick everywhere for some reason. No idea if it will be back.

7 Likes

Bob Dylan - Before The Flood - MFSL

Prefect pressing and nicely mastered, but the original recording is not great quality. Like the content though. Typical Dylan going off-piste.

2 Likes

Hi @Richard.Dane
Following your Friday Music Muddy Waters post, a label I’m not familiar with, I find that my preferred on line source stocks Friday Music, including similarly their pressing/mastering of Buddy Guy Sings The Blues
In general are Friday Music masterings/pressings good?
Thanks
:heart:

Genesis - Seconds Out.

My first Abbey Road Half Speed Master was the best version of Solid Air I’ve yet heard. I’m hoping for the same with this as my cd version is a bit weak. I’ve heard Suppers Ready performed live more times than I care to remember, and it’s a big theatrical sound. I’ll know tonight.

9 Likes

Having only 24hrs in a day can also be problematic😁

This one is very good. Don’t have many (or perhaps even any) others.

1 Like

For what it’s worth Friday Music has a mixed reputation on the Hoffman Forums. I haven’t anything on the label, but have that Muddy Waters on Pure Pleasure which sounds fine to me, given the limitations of the recording.

Cheers Clive, I have lots of Pure Pleasure and Speakers Corners, usually very good.
The Muddy Waters LP Richard posted is on Friday Music and I noticed the Speakers Corner Buddy Guy & Junior Wells that Richard posted has also been done by Friday Music.
I’ll check the other forum, I do seem to recall some not so favourable comments about Joe Regasso (?) who masters for Friday Music
Thanks

1 Like

For anyone who’s been frustrated/exasperated by the Bowie BLA campaign, I’ve just received this:

Dear David Bowie Fan,

We are aware that a number of fans have had a poor shopping experience during the ‘Brilliant Live Adventures’ campaign, and for that we are very sorry.

We also recognize that, unfortunately due to the unexpected demand, many people have been unable to purchase certain titles and subsequently missed out on the opportunity to complete their collection.

In the coming weeks we will provide you with further details on how and when we will be making these titles available to you again.

Once again we apologize and thank you for your patience and continued support.

Sincerely,

David Bowie Web Store Team

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, I missed out on the last one, spent too long deciding if I wanted both CD and Vinyl and by the time I decided I lost both!

2 Likes

Well at least they’ve acknowledged the fact,I hope they do follow up with further releases to enable people to catch up,it would also be one in the eye for the greedy people who have been there just to make a profit! Hopefully be a better system in the future :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Marcus Joseph Beyond the Dome. Delayed jazz re:freshed vinyl from the new Brit jazz scene. Been streaming this a while. Good songs and playing from himself and guests including Theon Cross and Sheila Maurice-Grey. However some unfortunate 6th form cringy rapping spoils a couple of the tracks a wee bit.

1 Like

Yes had the same email Kev. A kick in the teeth for all the fans who sweated this out but good for the ones that missed out. Most are asking that they’re a definite ‘second’ pressing to keep the differential. Not too bothered to be honest but it does stink how they’ve waited until now to apologise.
I really hope that it results in the scalpers losing out!

2 Likes

Another half speed master :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh well, at least I have the original cassette version :crazy_face:

7 Likes