What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Bob Dylan - Planet Waves

2 Likes

This just arrived. Sadly it will be going back as there’s some nasty blasts of crunch noise on a few tracks - sounds like non-fill. I can forgive a tiny bit but this is too much. I’m guessing this was pressed by Optimal? Optimal can be great but non-fill can be an issue with their pressings I find.

4 Likes

Cheers Neil, I recieved an email a couple of days ago saying they were shipping, maybe tomorrow.
Yes I am thanks, seasonal thing I get every year sinus/ chronic head pain.
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

Richard, my first copy had non fill on side 2. The replacement is perfect, so…good luck with yours!

1 Like

No problems with this one though. Very good indeed! Nice pressing, great sound, and a lovely thick card sleeve. Well done Craft!

7 Likes

Friday drop from the ever prompt and reliable Juno/Royal Mail
The Black Keys has been getting a lot of love on WYLT and I’ve been enjoying streaming it

Delta Kream ( Nonesuch 2LP)

Have also been enjoying the excellent new album from the Wailing Souls - Back A Yard which I posted the vinyl of here a while back, now heres the equally excellent matching Dub reconstruction produced by Alborosie…

Back A Yard Dub (Greensleeves LP)

Now wheres my Don Rendell, Lou Reed and…and…
Edit, side 2 of Back A Yard Dub has an issue with the pressing, multiple skips, pity

I agree, Optimal used to have a good reputation but are slipping, maybe too much demand effecting QC

And a very reasonable price, would be good to see Blue Note Classic series taking note

1 Like

With two turntables and a crossfader innit

1 Like

I agree, Optimal is very frustrating; just when you think everything is fine and they’re putting out great pressings, along comes something like this. Ugh!! Right now they’re vying with GZ in my estimation, and that’s not a good thing.

Funnily enough I was recently thinking about getting the VMP Herbie Hancock box, but it’s pricey coming from the States, and then I saw the vinyl was being pressed by GZ and it just put me right off. Had it been Pallas I would have pulled the trigger without hesitation.

1 Like

It’s great that local record shops are now open again. I had a quick half hour and popped in and snaffled up this today. I have always meant to get a copy for as long as I can remember!

8 Likes

Tbh Richard whilst GZ have had a bad rep I’ve found them to not always be that bad. Optimal are far worse these days I find. I dont think I’ve had anything pressed at GZ lately but on past experience they are capable of good work, I’m just looking across at The Kinks Mono Box for example which IIRC was pressed at GZ.
As I’ve said many times before, it’s not always fair to solely blame the pressing plant, they often work to the customers spec, so if it’s the lowest cost/quality banged out in the thousands in double quick time the customer (ie record company/label) wants that’s what they get, but if the customer specifies something better that can also be delivered.
I think some of the “better” pressing plants are perhaps less interested in doing the cheap high demand work thus maintaining and caring more about their reputation in the serious record buying community.

I’m glad you mention Pallas, consistently excellent cant recall ever having a duffer, being in Germany I dont know why more Euro record companies aren’t using them, I can only think of Speakers Corner and I think Pure Pleasure off the top of my head. Again very reasonably/sensibly priced.

A while ago Mikey Fremer did a video tour of GZ which is quite interesting if you have 2 1/2 hours to spare, critical of one or two things including a rather crappy turntable used for reference IIRC but in the end his overall conclusion of GZ especially QC (despite the rep) was quite positive.

1 Like

Or perhaps I have and theres been nothing wrong with them so I havent noticed

Nice package from Craft Recordings just arrived in the shape of this double LP:

9 Likes

Arrived this am. Tonights listening sorted.

2 Likes

Just picked this up from the record store around the corner

1 Like

Courtesy Pure Pleasure Records
The Speakers Corner pressing of

Lou Reed - Transformer (Speakers Corner/ RCA LP)

Never really listened much to Velvet Underground or Lou Reed bar a compilation LP (Lou Reed Retro) Really enjoy this album though

12 Likes

It [the Speakers Corner] is commonly regarded as the best-sounding version of this album @Dreadatthecontrols

1 Like

Cheers Kev, I’m looking forward to giving it a whirl after a spot of “gardening”. I had my eye on it for some time but it’s long been out of stock. Pure Pleasure had it back in, only two left when I hit the button

1 Like