What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Hi Dread, after watching the video you posted I might well visit some of the others that pop up as suggested viewing. As you say, interesting viewpoint from the guy regarding the different mono cuts, and you make an excellent point about Moss v McGee and the age of the tapes. But, after hearing the mono set, and if that is all I owned, I don’t think I would be chasing any other mono alternatives.

2 Likes

Buddy Collette - A Nice Day with Buddy Collette, Contemporary/Vogue Mono (1958)

This arrived today and after 64 years both cover and record are still immaculate. I took a bit of punt at £4.99 as I don’t know the LP but it sounds fantastic. I have a couple of UK Vogue Monos and they are excellent quality and some not so well known titles like this can still be had for the price of a bottle of beer.

2 Likes

Lee Perry - Roast Fish Collie Weed & Corn Bread, MOV/Trojan (2022)

Well done Music on Vinyl this is an excellent reissue nicely pressed and presented and sounding half decent too.

I’m very happy with my Mono box, just a shame its so outrageously priced on the collectors market for those who missed it at normal retail

1 Like

Kenny Dorham - Una Mass, Blue Note Classic Series (2019)

Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata, Blue Note Classic Series (2020)

3 Likes

George Faith - To Be A Lover (Black Swan 1977)

Original 1st press in lovely genuine NM condition.

Island Records in the mid seventies released a handful of truly classic Lee Scratch Perry produced albums, Heptones Party Time, Super Ape, Junior Murvin Police & Thieves, Max Romeo War In A Babylon and this often inexplicably overlooked gem (maybe the Soul material doesnt chime so well with the righteous roots mashing down Babylon fraternity)

George Faith (LSP has said he was the best voice he ever worked with) brilliant Soul album, covers of Wilson Picket, William Bell, Paul Anka etc all beautifully mutated through the mind and hands of Lee Scratch Perry at the controls of the Black Ark.
I have some other vinyl copys of this record and the excellent Hip-O Select CD. Not a hard to find record but, as is often the case with the genre, not easily found in acceptable condition despite the misleading grading of some sellers.
So I’m very pleased to get this for a pretty reasonable £30

:heart:

2 Likes

Curtis Amy DupreeBolton - Katanga, Pacific Jazz/Tone Poet (2021)

5 Likes

Delivered from Diverse today, this completes my mini-collection of classic Chet Baker on Riverside 100% analogue Craft Recordings reissues:

9 Likes

Jackie Mclean - Destination…Out! (Blue Note Classic Series)

The first of the BN Classic Series I’ve bought in a while, put off by the reported issues that have plagued this series.

@Clive @Isca_Dumnoniorum @Charles64 not played it yet :wink:

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

chet baker Bud Shank - 1958 & 1959 Milano Sessions

2 Likes

Dwight Yoakam - If There Was A Way (1990)
DY, the Bakersfield Cowboy, kept the tradition of Hank Williams and Buck Owens going when ‘new country’ (not a fan) was emerging… this might be the best of his early period… Turn it Up!

4 Likes

6 Likes

Kokoroko - Could We Be More. PRE ORDER

Really looking forward to this debut LP.

1 Like

King Jammy - King Jammy Destroys the Virus with Dub, Greensleeves. (2022)

All the way from Waterhouse, Kingston, Jamaica Lloyd James delivers a musical antidote to the pandemic.

1 Like

Bob, do you know all the albums Chet recorded a) as a leader, and b) as a sideman? Then, how many are you missing? It can’t be that many, surely?

Clive because of his addictions Chet made many, many records some incredible, some average and some terrible.

I’ve maybe 60 Chet recordings and probably that’s only 50%.

So I guess you have to be selective. I hope you’ve managed to avoid the duffers!

The Weather Station - How Is It That I Should Look At The Stars

3 Likes

No I have a couple but in general yes I’m selective thanks to Tidal and youtube.