What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Paul Weller - On Sunset Remixes EP - Pre Order released on November 27th.

1 Like

Not exactly my last vinyl. In fact it is my very first vinyl. And what better album to start my collection with than Pink Floyd’s The Wall? Found in the local record store, a mint 1979 UK import. Unfortunately I still have to wait a couple of days for my Schiit Mani to arrive before I can finally hook up the turntable and listen to it!

13 Likes

I’ve received a few that I had bought some time ago:

9 Likes

That coloured vinyl is making me feel queasy :face_vomiting:
I’m curious Steve, what is that plinth/shelf with the Linn Sondek badge you have there?

@Dreadatthecontrols

Mornin’ Dread! It’s a Hi Fi Racks spiked ‘isolation’ board sitting on the HFR wallshelf. The wall is so crap, it’s needed for levelling. It’ll be replaced when I get the Quadraspire SVT shelf up - with a solid wood batten to sort the wall…

The Linn badge is just a nice engraved metal one I found on Ebay.

Did you see the Inna De Yard doc on Sky Arts last night? I recorded it - looks good!

3 Likes

@Cemil

That Monk One Step is fabulous! Enjoy!

1 Like

Cheers Stevie.
If you want crap walls you should try my circa 1806 bungaroosh construction, virtually impossible to screw anything into it, the lime, flint and aggregate just crumbles.
I didnt know it was on but I have the DVD which I still havent got around too, who’s bright idea was it to limit a day to 24hrs!. Inna De Yard show should have been touring and would have been a definite highlight, Covid put the mockers on it for now.

@steviebee also worth a watch up on iplayer is the film Yardie
:grinning:

3 Likes

Another little gem from Pure Pleasure
R-5165729-1559918949-5330.png

Back in the 1930s Kansas City was a major jazz scene as it was home to Bennie Moten’s Band followed by the Count Basie Jazz Orchestra. Bob Brookmeyer, the virtuouso valve trombonist, who just passed away in the last several months, gathered in 1958 a largely Basie-oriented septet to do honor to the KC scene by recording several standards of the day including “Jumping at the Woodside,” “Blue and Sentimental,” “Moten Swing,” and Travlin’ Light.” In addition Big Miller, who was a featured vocalist with the Fletcher Henderson band, was brought in on vocals to sing on “Travlin Light” and “A Blues.”

The British audiophile LP label, PurePleasure, has re-released Kansas City Revisited. Long out of print, the label used Ron McMaster to handle the remastering, and chose Capitol Studios’ facilities to rework this swinging 1958 issue. For a 50+ year old recording, McMaster has done a fine job polishing up the acoustics. Jim Hall’s guitar solo sounds mighty nice on the opening Basie standard, “Jumping at the Woodside,” with sympathetic backing by the rhythm section of Addison Farmer on bass, and Nat Pierce on piano, though Pierce’s piano is a bit distant in the sound mix.

Cool jazz meets swing on this memorable but long out-of-print LP.

Personnel: Valve trombonist Bob Brookmeyer, tenors Al Cohn and Paul Quinichette, pianist Nat Pierce, guitarist Jim Hall, bassist Addison Farmer and drummer Osie Johnson perform four songs associated with the late-‘30s Count Basie Orchestra plus a couple of numbers (“A Blues” and "Travlin’ Light") that are sung by Big Miller

Tracklisting

Side A: Jumping At The Woodside 2. A Blues 3. Blue And Sentimental

Side B: 1. Doggin’ Around 2. Moten Swing 3.Travlin’ Light

Label: United Artists

Cat No: PPAN UAL4008

Format: 180 gram LP x 1

Released: September 2011

Re-mastering by : Ron McMaster at Capitol Studios

Recorded at Olmsted Studios,New York City on October 23, 1958

Recording engineer: D Olmsted

Produced by Jack Lewis

3 Likes

Possibly three of my favourite Stones albums…enjoy!

1 Like

One Pere Ubu I missed on vinyl first time around and I’m a sucker for not black vinyl, limited rotation at home as its regarded as “unlistenable” by the women in my life. :laughing:

4 Likes

A bit of Southern/Country Rock from Warner E Hodges, long time collaborator of Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites).
A few AC/DC & Stones riffs thrown in for good measure.

2 Likes

71vC3IKyIHL.SS500

2 Likes

2 Likes

@TheKevster

Great cover Kev…what’s the sound/pressing like?
I don’t know the JIB label.

Great label Steve. They are a non-profit organisation dedicated to spreading the word about great British jazz. Got three LPs, only listened to one so far (Michael Garrick Septet) but they are nicely done, good quiet pressings.

1 Like

I’ll look out for Jazz In Britain releases…thanks, Kev.

1 Like

Latest additions from the past couple of weeks

10 Likes

My “10 jazz albums for £29.99” lucky dip parcel from Zavvi has just arrived.

As expected, the albums are all from the De Agostini partwork collection of a few years back.

They are Cannonball Adderley Somethin’ Else; Drum Suite by Art Blakey; Eric Dolphy’s Out To Lunch; Duke Ellington Money Jungle (mono); Bill Evans Trio 64; Getz/Gilberto; Dexter Gordon Go; Charlie Haden/Carla Bley Liberation Music Orchestra; Max Roach Quiet As It’s Kept; Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil.

Seven I’ll keep, three I’ll sell or give away. Best bargain of the year!

10 Likes

SNAP! I received the exact same issues. I already have some of them (the Max Roach plus Four is superb!) though…

2 Likes

@TheKevster That is an amazing bundle offer, and I know the pressings were very well regarded too! :+1:

1 Like