What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols.

Nope. It’s an old US copy (first press I think).

1 Like

Cheers Stevie, I asked coz having original vinyl I’ve been umming and r’ing over the new half speed masters

Nice! :sunglasses:

I would have liked to have bought this set, but cueing onto 7” singles with an Aro is bound to result in a mis-cue sooner or later. Can you tell me if the version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow on the B-side of Our Day Will Come is the acoustic version or the version on Lioness? There is an acoustic recording, but I’ve not been able to find it so far.

Here it is from YouTube:

Yeah…I’ve wondered about the half-speeds, but…my Wailers are all in pretty good nick. So I’ll stick.

Did just get a Mofi Exodus tho, just to see. And a earlier Rastaman reissue - more to get a nice unworn cover!

1 Like

I’m also curious about the Bob Marley Abbey Road Half Speeds. My experience of other AR Half speeds has been a bit mixed; some I’ve loved, like the Genesis reissues. Others, I’ve found to be a bit disappointing. I have some BM first issues, but they’re quite worn and definitely not at their best now. My go-to these days is the '80s LP box set, which generally sounds very good. If the Abbey Roads are on a similar or higher level, that would be wonderful!

1 Like

It’s arrived, the most played inadvertently discovered streaming album this week, what a great mix of styles from tracks that sound like Blondie through Madonna, Buggles, Marilyn Mansonesque guitar riffs and others. Yes, I sense a similarity in styles with many that have gone before but for the most pary pure unadulterated pop fun.

The first surprise is the lime cordial pressing!

3 Likes

Greetings @steviebee
I have Mofi’s of Exodus and Catch A Fire, I dont find them to be all that tbh. Just sound a bit clinical and uninvolving if anything, which isn’t what this music is about.

I have Catch a Fire & Exodus On Mofi also. I have an original Catch a Fire but never done a comparison.

Just to confuse matters the BMW catalogue from Catch A Fire through to Confrontation are being simultaneously re issued by Abbey Rd Half Speed and on Jamaican pressings from Tuff Gong’s recently re opened pressing plant (not half speed).
As anyone who deals with Jamaican Music will know JA pressings often leave a lot to be desired. With a dose of caveat emptor, the one title really worth considering is the new JA press of Catch A Fire as it is the Jamaican Mix of the album, ie the unadulterated with Rock overdubs version. After recording the album in JA the tapes were delivered to Island Records whereby Chris Blackwell supervised overdubbing with Rabbit Bundrick, Wayne Perkins, Junior Marvin etc.
The Jamaican Mix of the album first appeared on the 2CD Deluxe Edition of Catch A Fire, to most ears familiar with the raw sound of JA music, once heard theres little going back to the over dubbed version.
The new JA pressed LP will be the first time its come out on vinyl

2 Likes

THE WONDERFUL SOUNDS OF FEMALE VOCALS – ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS – 2 x 180g VINYL

Side 1
Cry Me A River – Julie London
Black Coffee – Ella Fitzgerald
Poetry Man – Phoebe Snow
Son Of A Preacher Man – Dusty Springfield
Just A Little Lovin’ – Shelby Lynne
Show Biz Kids – Rickie Lee Jones

Side 2
Crazy – Patsy Cline
Tennessee Waltz – Holly Cole
Breaking Silence – Janis Ian
Hey There – Myra Taylor
What a Shame – Patricia Barber
Plain Gold Ring – Nina Simone

Side 3
The Moon Is Made Of Gold – Rickie Lee Jones
Blue Moon – Julie London
Blame It on the Moon – Nancy Bryan
Diamonds and Rust – Joan Baez
Somebody Who Loves You – Joan Armatrading
Send In the Clowns – Judy Collins

Side 4
Ballad Of The Runaway Horse – Jennifer Warnes
A Case of You – Diana Krall
The Look of Love – Dusty Springfield
Brothers In Arms – Joan Baez

8 Likes

Oh…bugger. Was hoping Mofi may have done a nice release with Exodus - some on Hoffman loved it, but…they are Americans… (j/k!)
Still, worth one play then put in the sale pile I guess.

Haha! Americans & Hoffman, yes. I used to idle quite a lot on that forum but its increasingly populated with bores obsessing about minutiae, DR graphs and swell headed I know better than you types. Which means I’m spending more time on here, than is healthy, during cabby lockdown influenced downtime. :joy:

Dont take my word for it, your opinion may differ, it is a nice pressing but for me the “audiophile” mastering just leaves me unmoved.
Generally speaking I sometimes find (not always before anyone shoots me down) that a lot of so called “audiophile” records are all “HiFi” and less music.

2 Likes

I see AP have now done The Wonderful Sound Of Male Vocals

I havent heard either though

AAPP_131__151152__10062020113308-9784

Side 1
\ 28x28 1. I’m Confessin’ (That I Love You) - Dean Martin
\ 28x28 2. Arms of a Woman - Amos Lee
\ 28x28 3. Silver Blue - JD Souther
\ 28x28 4. Try Me One More Time - Tennessee Ernie Ford
\ 28x28 5. It Feels Like Rain - Aaron Neville
\ 28x28 Side 2
\ 28x28 1. Amie - Pure Prairie League
\ 28x28 2. (I Left My Heart) In San Francisco - Tony Bennett
\ 28x28 3. Blue Bayou - Roy Orbison
\ 28x28 4. Georgia On My Mind - Willie Nelson
\ 28x28 5. Sympathy for a Train - Willis Alan Ramsey
\ 28x28 Side 3
\ 28x28 1. Ramblin’ Boy - Pete Seeger (The Weavers)
\ 28x28 2. In My Room (Stereo Version) - The Beach Boys
\ 28x28 3. Brand New '64 Dodge - Greg Brown
\ 28x28 4. Scarlet Ribbons - Harry Belafonte
\ 28x28 5. (There’ll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me) – Elvis Presley
\ 28x28 Side 4
\ 28x28 1. Losing Hand - Harry Belafonte
\ 28x28 2. Spanish Jack - Willy DeVille
\ 28x28 3. Fever - Elvis Presley
\ 28x28 4. Did Somebody Make a Fool out of You - Tony Joe White
\ 28x28 5. Coconut - Harry Nilsson

@steviebee Btw The original Rastaman Vibration sleeve sort of replicated the rough feel of hessian cloth. It is apparently good for preparing Herbs on, it says so on the inside gatefold. Of course, I wouldn’t know about such things :wink:

1 Like

Yes, mine was… :slight_smile:

Front and rear are fine, but the spine is worn…don’t remember ever rolling anything that thin, lol…

The AAA remaster sleeve, sadly, is just flat. Sigh. Still, at least I can find it in the racks now!

1 Like

On my Christmas list.

Hope Santa gets out of lockdown in time to deliver it!

19 Likes

Oooh that Grace Jones album is a cracker

1 Like