What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Will take this further, cheers

So delayed retail therapy purchases and a Christmas present from friends arrived over the last days.

Added Master of Puppets and …And Justice for All by Metallica to the nostalgia collection.

Next up Noire by VNV Nation:

And some Pagan Folk.

Yggdrasil by Wardruna. Nice looking marbled green vinyl.

And finally Viking Memories by Skáld.

3 Likes

Coltrane - John Coltrane Quartet - Impulse RM (1997)

4 Likes

i’m just waiting for The Queen is Dead 5 LP box, and next is The Cult’s Sonic Temple Box.
mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There’s No Place Like America Today - Curtis Mayfield
I’ve been holding out for a Curtis Box Set from 1975 onwards but it’s not appeared so had to bite the bullet on this copy a German reissue from a few years ago.

And one of my favourite Curtis tracks ‘This Year’ which was only released on 7".

s-l500

5 Likes

I ordered a copy of this a few years back, but sadly I was later told by the seller (What Records) that they could not get any more copies.

Yes please could we have second box set with this as well as Never Say You Can’t Survive, and if it’s as good as the first box set, then it’ll be fab!

1 Like

I actually prefer Curtis’s output from 1975 onwards yes it gets a bit poppy into the 80’s but until then I prefer the more soulful, mellow sound of tracks like So In Love and This Year to the earlier slightly darker sound of the first box set but of course it’s all A1.

His last record New World Order from 1996 saw a real return to form with help from Mavis Staples, Aretha Franklin and Roger Troutman but unfortunately not available on vinyl.

1 Like

Mtume Umoja Ensemble ‎– Alkebu-Lan - Land Of The Blacks (Live At The East)
“Brutal, and filled with fire…”
That is true. Full Force!

2 Likes

Although I have over 40 albums by John Coltrane as leader, I don’t have this, nor have I ever heard it before. Funnily enough, I don’t have the Prestige release of the same name either (both to be rectified!). I read the AMG review, which suggests it’s at the edge of his post-bop era and before becoming more creative in free/avant-garde and it’s the first album he recorded with what would become his classic quartet too. I’m currently playing the high resolution version of this on Qobuz; listening to the opening track, Out Of This World, it’s certainly very enjoyable. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the Naim Community. Order to be placed, although I’ll probably try to get it on CD.

1 Like

I bought the 3 2020 remastered 12" singles. Sound fairly good to me but I dont have anything earlier to compare, how do you find them?

Likewise I had an original back in the day which somehow went AWOL and never returned.

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to listen to them yet @Dreadatthecontrols - but I’ve a feeling we’re all going to be housebound for a good few weeks yet so that’ll be my chance to do some serious listening!

2 Likes

Although I have the 70s Philips’ Dusty In Memphis Plus, I could not resist this! Should be here soon…

11 Likes

The P10 needed food. Sorry for the wrappers (all cleaned and protected already) and the poor lighting.

Amanda Palmer formerly of Dresden Dolls in a piano album. There’s a 10 minute song about life, The Ride, which is very comforting every time.
Nico of Velvet Underground fame.

If you also need occasional comforting:

I :heart: Françoise Hardy.
Billie Eilish on apricot vinyl.

Young ladies making the most of their times :metal:

F.S.K. (Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle = Voluntary Self Control, also the traditional term for industry self-control groups in Germany, best known for the movie and pharmaceutical industries) was among John Peel’s favorite German bands. (Album title = A pile of [censored] and a smashed piano).
Hendrix in Miami. You can never listen enough to Hendrix.

On the right, the Gilberto reissue in Verve’s Acousting Sound Series. Awesame edition and pressing (also the hi-res on Qobuz recommended).
I :heart: Lana Del Rey. Another :metal:

The Goo and Dirty box sets. Of course I had the original releases already (and more than once :slight_smile: )

The left one is Glenn Branca, The Ascension. Reissue on white vinyl. Actually not new but purchased at an awesome Branca concert when these things still existed, but never got around to it. (I realize now that he died in May of 2018 :cry: that can’t have been long after).
Branca was a serious composer using weird guitar tunings, harmonics, drones, etc. (and occasionalally a hundred very loud electric guitars at once). Both Lee Renaldo and Thurston Moore were once members in one of his orchestras and Sonic Youth would not have been without him.

Kim Gordon of ex-Sonic Youth on the right. We have to make do with this nowadays because Thurston Moore is an ass :wink:
(Not that it’s bad, but it’s no Sonic Youth)

6 Likes

Wow - you actually saw Glenn Branca in concert - I take my hat off to you - that must have been something.

I have symphonies 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, & 10 - big fan of the electric guitar and Branca.

1 Like

I feel stupid for saying so, but now that he’s dead I’m happy I got the chance. That was something! I just looked it up and it was actually 2014 in Berlin. Time flies. He didn’t seem well then already but was still energetic and incredibly forceful on the conductor’s stand for two hours. It was a small ensemble, I think drums, bass and 5 guitars or so, but good god they made a beautiful racket :slight_smile:

It was at the Volksbühne (People’s Theatre), the iconic German theater in Berlin. They do music nights regularly, extremely well curated and often of the more noisy kind. I also saw Swans there several times. It’s totally awesome for this kind of music, you get to sink into the comfy seats and the sound of the big theater hall is fantastic, the drones wash over you and the harmonics spread out and come from all sides. Oh how I wish we can go back to this, I still have Swans tickets for a show that was postponed twice!

I only have two Branca symphonies (6 and I think 13 ) and The Ascension (and Theoretical Girls :wink: ), and when reading your list I am realizing just now that the new system is just the thing that I needed for Branca at home. (And Sonic Youth purchases are now exhausted anyways, I have every album at least twice on vinyl, and on CD, and the box sets in both formats, and ample bootlegs and limited editions. LOL)

3 Likes

I’ve just placed a pre-order for Sun June’s new album Somewhere. Came across a single of theirs on a Tidal playlist:

The previous album “Years” has proved a good listen. I’d like to get that on vinyl too but the shipping cost to NZ is usd40!

Some post Christmas retail therapy on popular internet sites, found some real bargains.

No poster with the Black Sabbath unfortunately. However, the box sleeve is still in good shape not flattened and the laminate is in excellent condition. The record is in near mint condition and plays with minimal surface noise, not bad for a 1971 record

The Nils Lofgren and Pat travers records are collection fillers and were picked up for under £20

3 Likes

Two of nils best.

Heilung ‘lifa’ gold vinyl and blueray just arrived, a little inner sleave damage as discs shipped outside of cover but discs are fine.

2 Likes