What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I’ve just received a copy of Lambchop Is A Woman. Brand new double LP. Shipped from the USA I think (to NZ). It arrived in apparently pristine condition - no marks or creases on the cover or packaging whatsoever - but one of the records is terribly warped. Fortunately the local importer takes returns, hopefully I get lucky with the replacement.

Pres - Lester Young

The Fontana Years - Tubby Hayes
Got a bit of a bargain from Amazon seller.

2 Likes

Menage a trois Rodney! Waiting in the porch all arrived from different sellers on the same day - poor long-suffering postie.

Greg Foat - Dancers at the Edge of Time. New(ish) from Vinyl Hunter. Thx to @AndyP
Emanative - Earth. Near mint (truly) from Discogs
Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile. New Only Roots reissue from some Steve dude in Willesden off of the Bay.

5 Likes

MOV 2013 RE

9 Likes

Thats annoying. All the Tone Poet series I have bought to date have been fine pressings, hope the replacement is better.
Not got that Byrd yet, let us know how you find the replacement.
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

I would recommend trying to find an original East Of The River Nile on the Rockers International or Message labels.
Only Roots are a French re issue label distributor, not all but some of their stuff can come from iffy sources.
Will be interested in how you find their mastering of EOTRN
Check out OnlyRoots website as well you can buy direct
:+1:

2020 Reissue of this 1985 release.

2 Likes

Cheers Dread - thanks for the info. No clue on the sleeve as to source. Decent pressing although TBH the SQ did seem a little veiled.

1 Like

LisaMillsTheTriangle20253538_f

Claude

2 Likes

There are 3 volumes (double Lo’s) of this great collaboration.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Steven Wilson’s latest

10 Likes

A very good recording and just Laura singing and playing guitar.

5 Likes

Just this minute arrived.
Kaki King Glow from 2012.
My first KK on vinyl.

Looking forward to slinging this on once I’ve warmed up the kit…

1 Like

Someone dropped this off today, brightened my day no end!

14 Likes

Reggae re issues can be a bit of a minefield. Shortage of money and resources amongst ghetto artists, studios and producers meant that “master tapes” were often wiped and re used. Back in the day many artists and producers were producing music just for the local Jamaican market with no awareness that the music would become in demand internationally.
A lot of music was also recorded direct to acetate (dub plate) and subsequently worn out.
That along with the fact that JA until only quite recently had no copyright laws, so unofficial releases of dubious provenance are rife.
An often frustrating downside to which anyone with experience of collecting JA music will attest.
This is also why original records which were usually one off pressings, on a multitude of obscure labels for the local market command such high prices.
Anyway, enjoy

Ps @BlueCanary If you want an Augustus Pablo recommendation to avoid the pitfalls, any of the albums licenced by the Greensleeves label are fine.
I would recommend as an essential starter Original Rockers on Greensleeves LP/CD/Stream
It was a few years back re released by Greensleeves/VP in a two disc LP/CD expanded Edition and I’m pleased to see it’s on a Tidal Master.
R-8351708-1459911196-4239.jpeg
:heart:

4 Likes

Bought used, on Discogs.

2 Likes

Mmm that’s a great buy. I’d love to get my hands on her ‘everybody loves you’ album.

1 Like

@anon39880737

Thought I had Everybody on CD, but couldn’t find it just now…so another copy ordered on the Bay. Also just ordered her latest, Modern Yesterdays on vinyl… that sounds like it will be really good from the brief snatch I listened to.

1 Like

A batch of Tone Poet Blue Notes.
Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
Duke Pearson - The Phantom
Art Blakey - Roots n Herb
Donald Byrd - Byrd in Flight
Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game
McCoy Tyner - Tender Moments.

5 Likes