Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Alberta Hunter - Amtrak Blues
Michelle Shocked - The Texas Campfire tapes
George Michael - careless whisper 12" single

All in pristine condition!

6 Likes

More coloured vinyl classics

8 Likes

Amongst other things the new Wardruna arrived. Called Kvitravn and I got the pretty impressive looking multi colored vinyl. On at least two sides a white band almost aligns with the bird on the label.

6 Likes

Wow, very nice!

Must listen to that again on Qobuz, but that vinyl is almost worth getting for the look alone.

Are they all ‘coloured vinyl’ or was it a sepcial purchase? Ones on Amazon currently a tad expensive and don’t specify.

1 Like

Completely impulsive purchases after hearing a few tracks via Roon:

The CD is 12 track, the LP only has 8 for some reason.

CD inner is signed. The ‘signed LP’ has a kind of signed insert which a few people are unhappy with as it’s stuck to the ‘inner’ shrink wrap. Actually not an awful thing as you could use as a signed poster, and both were cheaper than the standard non-signed versions anyway.

Hesitated about the CD but now unavailable, at least temporarily on the river.

1 Like

Completely different but also arrived today:

Hadn’t realised it was remastered.

…and to give a semblance of scale, the box/packaging, for both items:

No actually, all that packaging was for a 7" single in an A3 cardboard envelope!!!

To be honest, for the price of the single (nearly £15) I’m glad it had so much packaging!

1 Like

Thanks! I think it may be a special edition for a specific retailer. Large pop merchandising.

It was pretty expensive, nearly twice the price of the normal version… BUT IT’S SO PRETTYYYY!!!

2 Likes

I have bought both CD and Vinyl as well, the signed vinyl and the standard unsigned CD

1 Like

Santana, Moonflower, white vinyl to supplement my work original;
Frank Sinatra, Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra, Impex, terrific recordings, informative booklet, well worth the money. If you love Sinatra, that is.

2 Likes

Nice to look at, but I want to listen to my records. It always used to be the case that coloured, patterned and picture discs almost certainly sounded terrible, so I avoid them, unless one wants to use them as wall art aimed at trendy hipsters who dont own turntables.
Or is this no longer the case?

Ooh, that looks tempting.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Coloured and picture discs have moved on a long way since the fiasco of Curved Air’s Airconditioning picture disc in 1970, (I gave up with that and just bought the regular issue). Modern coluoured and picture discs are in my experience and to my ears every bit as good as traditional black ones and given a choice would always choose the eye candy version.
Here is a very similar looking disc from my collection, the only problem I have is that the spinning pattern makes it very distracting to cue up, perhaps I should play it more often.

For the curious this is Andy Stotts 2013 remix of Valentine by Tricky and is a single sided 12" 45, I think it is wonderful but from the prices on DIscogs it looks like I am in the minority.

Mike

1 Like

I can certainly not complain about the SQ here. Is it my all time best sounding vinyl, I don’t think so either.

Clear blue vinyl:

6 Likes

@Boxed-In @Kryptos
By SQ I mean noisy pressings of course. A record can of course have good sonics but be plagued with unwanted noise.

I would still be very wary of picture discs. The picture is actually a two piece of laminate that is pressed onto the vinyl. A blank record with the picture then a clear laminate with the groove pressed in. When played the stylus is tracking the laminate rather than a record proper.

Can’t comment. Probably something you should avoid.

I have coloured vinyl that is silent and black vinyl that sounds terrible with background artifacts.

But I have vinyl to add joy to life and part of it is the tactile physical experience. And if splatter puts a smile on my face I’ll forgive a pop or two.

2 Likes

Of course, I wasnt trying to knock you, but I’m guessing from your reply that the spatter vinyl does pop a bit. And yes as I said I do avoid it.
And of course, Black vinyl can be noisy too, but all other things in the manufacturing process being equal, in the past coloured vinyl was nearly always poor. Hence my query as to whether that is still the case.

I am sure you are correct and that would explain the well documented problems with Airconditioning but my personal experience indicates that the problems have been atleast partially overcome. I’ll dig out a modern(ish) picture disc and give it a spin.

Mike

Just before I put my anorak back on the hook.
Just to add that Black vinyl is also “coloured” but for good reasons. Pure vinyl PVC is actually a transparent clear to off white colour. The black is carbon that is added to make the vinyl formulation (first developed by RCA I believe) which makes the vinyl more stable and less prone to “noise” and more consistent in terms of manufacturing QC.
Actual coloured vinyl, other than black, doesnt have the carbon and instead have dyes mixed in which can result in inconsistencies in the formulation and increase the likelihood of “noisy” pressings.

2 Likes