What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

@anon4489532 that’s very cool. I was born in 1966 so I was 13 in 1979 and a bit young to see them live when they were in their pomp. I would love to have seen them, but seen new order many times and also good that hooky tours now and does all the joy division stuff, so nearly as good ! (But not quite…)

1 Like

I saw JD twice Mark. Once at Eric’s in Liverpool in July or August '79. It was a curious gig in that it was a matinee, at about 1pm. They were supporting Swell Maps IIRC. I remember how different they sounded from the record (“Unknown Pleasures”) and Peel session - crushingly powerful and heavy, a bit like Led Zep and Black Sabbath.

Second time I saw them was on a Friday night at the Rainbow, supporting Buzzcocks. Curtis was (in hindsight) a bit unwell and they seemed a bit lost in a venue of that size.

2 Likes

jpeg
jpeg
Just popped in from Discogs,
Regards
Roberto

2 Likes

And I can echo your comments. I was a bouncer in the Student Union that evening and I was on front stage in the Refectory. Both bands were terrific and I managed to mingle with them and have a chat backstage after the concert.

David

1 Like

My latest acquisition on vinyl and an absolute masterpiece: Just A Little Lovin’ by Shelby Lynne

5 Likes

That’s amazing, what a small world! Next you’ll be saying that you went to parties at The Mermaid Inn, Brynsiencyn… I used to do some DJing.

It is a small world, indeed. I think I only visited the Mermaid on a few occasions, mostly to get a drink when walking or jogging between Bangor and the beach at Newborough Warren, if it was open. Back in the day, I could not afford my own car, so I had to walk most of the time. Incidentally, that is also the reason some of my friends gave the nickname ‘Leggit’. When I worked in the Student Union, I was usually completely sober at the end of the evening and was often invited to drive people to after-hours parties within driving distance. That, and the ability to speak coherently to attractive young ladies when my peers were often drunk, was one of the few benefits of working while everyone else was having fun in the evening.

Apart from a brief stint in Neuadd Reichel, I lived in shared houses in The Crescent (just around the corner from the Belle Vue Hotel in Upper Bangor), at the bottom of Lonpobty and also on the High Street.

I saw a lot of bands play at the Student Union and I also hitchhiked to Liverpool and Manchester for parties and concerts.

Apart from that concert, I only saw Joy Division at one of their last concerts (in Manchester?) before Ian Curtis’ death. With hindsight, I wish I had seen them more often.

I am looking forward to the new issue of Unknown Pleasures in the summer. It always has been and remains one of my favourite albums.

David

2 Likes

@TheKevster I am very jealous ! that makes sense as the videos I have seen the sound is very different to the studio albums. That Mr Hammett …

1 Like

Arrived here today with the morning post :smiley:

077 / 528

I’m impressed with the quality of presentation, a really nice purchase :+1:

7 Likes

Well two records of very unusual music. But worth to listen to.

3 Likes

Last 5 from Discogs:
Patti LaBelle - Winner
Various - Heart & Soul
Alexander O’Neal - Alexander O’Neal
Karyn White - Karyn White
George Benson - 20/20

3 Likes

The question burning on everyones lips…

Is it as good as ‘Jazz On The Corner’ their first compilation? : )

1 Like

Good to hear, just ordered the double vinyl from Amazon £18.25 :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered both! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It’s not vinyl but it’s analog and there is no proper thread to post it. This is a Russian reel master tape, 7", 19/4, in a nice wooden case. Could be interesting for some “old” school members :notes:
The artist is Brent Hutchinson & Friends, Live in Moscow.

Here is some info about the project:

Our project.

Our goals are not limited to the release of limited editions!

The company Reel to Reel tapes Russia is a great opportunity for professional music performers to make an analog recording using direct technology – without conversion and processing on high – quality equipment of world producers with minimal costs!

We invite young artists working in the classical and jazz world to cooperate and publish records!

2 Likes

Ordered a copy of this a few days ago,

and it’s …on the way! :smiley:

3 Likes

just got David Bowie Glastonberry - what a recording, seen it a number of times on the TV but wow on vinyl - also The National - Easy to find - another great album from this band

2 Likes

Springsteen On Broadway. I’ve had this a while. Is this the best sounding live vinyl I have? Don’t know if it just suits my system or something, but he is genuinely in my room.

3 Likes

@TheKevster Hi Kevin, have you listened to this yet ? I saw that and was thinking of buying it, but I had a few LP’s under my arm so put it off until next time. Would be interested to hear your thoughts, we seem to share similar tastes !

1 Like