What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

4 Likes

You been reading Hifi +?

There were two editions of the 68 UK release: yours is with the UK printed sleeve, the other is UK pressed disc in the US gatefold (but has Blue Thumb logo next to the Liberty. My US had only the Blue Thumb logo iirc). The so- called ‘blue label’ releases according to Discogs. Great stuff. There are only a few of us Strictly Personal nuts out there, I suspect. It’s pretty much been my favourite Beefheart since it was released, though it took me a few years to track down a Blue Thumb original US.

I also had the UK budget Sunset reissue once upon a time - no gatefold, but a very decent sounding release.

I’m looking forward to hearing the mono mix at last, when I get in from work.

A poor downloaded shot of the Blue Thumb label:
images (1)

How very dare you!

No, I’m assuming I’ve similar tastes to the editor?

1 Like

I don’t know Harold Land (thx for the heads up), but any album with Hampton Hawes and Philly Jo Jones on it has got to be good!

1 Like

@steviebee Yes, that fits: - with the sleeve saying ‘Liberty Records Limited London W1’ . The label it says ‘…manufactured by Philips Records Ltd’ and so the pressing and manufacture is in the UK. Everything matches with my copy being this version: link to Discogs info. Thanks for motivating me to look this up!
It is certainly not in mint condition - having clearly gone through the wars before I got it in 1979. My big sister basically saying ‘You think you’ve heard music? Well listen to this young Dave’
I have to admit that I was slightly confused when I first lowered the needle on an extremely crackly ‘Ah Feel Like Ahcid’ - it took me a while to get it and at first I only occasionally dipped into it.
Then one memorable night, as the disturbingly yawning, wow and fluttery vocals halfway through Kandy Korn gave way to a crescendo that can only be described as ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas-like’ in its intensity (a la White Rabbit but weirder) - I was well and truly transformed. I cannot listen to it ever again without entering flashback territory. In fact there it goes again :exploding_head: - “Like heaven I said”. I wonder what the mono mix would do?

2 Likes

@livingid

Were I not dead drunk after a few very strong G&Ts (Sipsmith VJOP - a fine gin) I’d let you know…but I’ll give my impressions of the mono tomorrow. A bloody great album. Saluté!

1 Like

Same here. It was the cover that caught my eye when someone posted it a week or so ago. What nudged me into buying it now was seeing “Limited edition / 500 copies” – even though it wasn’t expensive - with only 7 left. I emailed my brother (6,000 miles away), and he bought another. All gone now.

1 Like

Chet Baker - Misty, IRD, Italy (2003)

Recorded in Dallas during the mid 80’s 1985 I think.

1 Like

Applewood Road
Single microphone recording, direct to 2-track 1/4” tape, no edits, no overdubs.

7 Likes

@Bobthebuilder - one I do not have - trying to find it on CD - thought I had found one, but track listing seems different to Discogs.
Could you please give me the track listing on your copy ?
Thanks
Ian

Side A.

1. When I Fall in Love
  2. There Will Never Be Another You.

Side B.

1. Misty
  2. Mr B
  3. I Love My Wife
  4. Time After Time
1 Like

Realised that I only had this on CD, so ordered the LP today

3 Likes

Just managed to bag a original near mint copy off tapestry by Carol king on discogs for a decent price so I’m happy today

I’m jealous of that one. Was it a reasonable price?
Last time I looked it was £100 minimum.

This record has a special place to me and forms a part of my very earliest memories when my mother would play it and sing along to it I could have only been 2 or 3 years old.

1 Like

That much? I have two!!

Wat a gorgeous memory to have Bob

1 Like

A few birthday prezzies from my family!
I’m just waiting patiently for my LP12 back with its Kore fitted and my Lingo sorted so that I can actually listen to them!

9 Likes