What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

@n-lot Bartosz, thanks for that. I sent you an email…

1 Like

I think mine arrived today but went back to the PO as I wasn’t home will have to wait to the weekend now.

1 Like

Cool! Pederson is only 18 or 19 there. How nice it would be if it would have been possible to make this a double album and add Kong Neptune on it as the cd version has.

Replied

1 Like

Great to hear you like it Richard. My copy arrives today. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

1 Like

Was listening to that yesterday, not heard him before, really good. So I ordered the vinyl arriving today, mine is a red pressing too, hope it doesnt crackle like yours, I normally avoid coloured vinyl where possible for that reason.
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

With Tone Poet each new release seems to be the best yet :+1:

They’ve had some cracking releases of late, what with this one, Bass on Top, Byrd in Flight, the Rajah, and Roots and Herbs. I have Andrew Hill’s Passing Ships on the way and I hope it maintains this high standard.

2 Likes

I hope you get a clean copy, it really is a good album. I had the same problem with his first album unfortunately. Starting to think he needs a different manufacturer. Side 4 is so bad it’s unplayable. Mines going back.

1 Like

Totally agree!
Dont forget Charles Lloyd And The Marvels - Tone Poem which I believe is the first of new recordings being manufactured to the Tone Poet spec

3 Likes

That’s a shame, if it’s bad I send it back if it’s still noisy after a run through the RCM

1 Like

Tone Poem is superb. One of my top 3 for sure along with the Joe Henderson State of the Tenor live albums and Bass on Top.

1 Like

The only problem with the Tone Poet series is trying to keep up with them along with all the other desirable stuff out there and only 24 hours in a day. Theres a few titles I’ve still to catch up on
There is so much good stuff out there in vinyl land that I believe, despite many of the grumblers on this forum, that the format is doing well. Hope the current bubble doesnt burst anytime soon.

1 Like

I’ll let you know how my copy is. If it’s a duffer might be better to wait for a standard Black vinyl. Looking on the artist website there are a number of different coloured pressings. It’s a real pity that some artists/labels are treating vinyl like a trendy fashion accessory, imo ridiculous.
The crackling your hearing I bet is a defect known as non fill which ime often manifests on coloured pressings.

Birthday today and these arrived to be enjoyed later :grinning:.

11 Likes

Is that the most recent 2020 pressing of Live & Dangerous, if so be interested on your thoughts re SQ
Cheers

1 Like

I heard about non fill for the first time yesterday. ( I have much to learn). I’ve looked at images on the net to see what it looks like for future reference. The trouble with this red vinyl is that I can’t see anything on it. Thanks for the heads up on coloured vinyl being more prone. I’ll stick to standard black in future.

1 Like

Is non fill more prevalent in coloured vinyl, or is it just a function of poor production process in any vinyl?

1 Like

It’s not always easy to see, no mistaking hearing it though, kind of ripping sound usually in one channel. The odd click or pop I dont mind but non fill drives me around the bend. One of the worse recent albums, and in this case not coloured, was Paul Weller True Meanings, the first pressing was terrible went through 4 copies from different suppliers until giving up and buying the beer mat instead.

Anyway, as I said I’ll let you know how my copy sounds
Atb

I find it more prevalent in coloured vinyl but “normal” Black vinyl can suffer from it too.
It’s to do with the vinyl not flowing properly in the press, causing the groove not to form properly, its usually heard mostly at the outer or inner portions of a record side and in one channel.
Black vinyl has carbon added which is supposed to strengthen and make the vinyl more stable when heated and pressed.
Coloured vinyl doesnt have the carbon and the different colured dyes mixed in can make the vinyl less consistent and stable in production making for inconsistent quality control.
Yes, trying to press a vast amount of records in a minimal timescale as cheap as possible creates poor pressings. Decently mastered and pressed records aren’t cheap for a reason, but it gets out of order when labels/companies demand cheap pressings from the plant and charge “audiophile” prices whilst fooling people that they are limited edition coloured, spatter, picture vinyl etc
I’ve heard some say that coloured and picture vinyl have improved in recent times, I’ve had a few where there wasnt a normal option that were acceptable. Generally speaking though, ime coloured vinyl (which is just a marketing tool imo) is something to be avoided when trying to ensure a decent pressing.
Theres a reason, also generally speaking, why the quality top end vinyl labels rarely if ever press coloured vinyl.

Blimey, went off on one a bit there, time for a lie down!
Cheers

5 Likes