What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Well back in the day I could go uptown buy a couple of albums, drink ten pints, take a bird for a slap up meal in a Berni Inn, go to a club after, get a cab home and have change out of a fiver…Ah, the good old days! :joy:
:heart:

2 Likes

Not quite that long ago ( :blush:) - but it does put the price of these things into context.

Personally, I have done most of my vinyl buying for a lifetime and am only picking up the occasional Tone Poet etc. release to fill gaps. It wasn’t so long ago that the price of a ‘Passing Ships’ would have bought you a very good original 60s BN NY-era vinyl pressing (sadly, such things are now long gone, never to return).

I’ll probably pick up the Hill Tone Poet at some stage but will ‘slum it’ with my Conn CD for the time being.

1 Like

I’ve so much other music to listen to in the mean time and buy that there is no rush to buy the Tone Poets especially as unlike the Music Matters series there will be represses.

1 Like

Meanwhile, ‘London Jazz Collector’ has just posted about ‘Passing Ships’ on his blog and called it great value, so I stand corrected I guess ! :grinning:

The sound quality seems to get a good review there too.

1 Like

These arrived today but looking at the thunder promised in the weather forecast they won’t get a spin until Sunday at the earliest.

joejackson_photo_gal_all_photo_398425881_md

Remastered by Kevin Gray on Intervention Records. If it’s anything near as good as the job he did on Joan Armatrading I’ll be made up.

6 Likes

That Joe Jackson on Intervention Records is fantastic. You will love it.

1 Like

They’re sourced from whatever the record company supplies them with, could be analog, could be digital.

But I do tend to find their releases good, certainly for the money. They’re usually cheaper than others.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s a matter of days/hours, you drop by the site at the wrong moment… In case you might want to try , I Just ordered It on Amazon Italy and It should be delivered on May 19th :slightly_smiling_face: good luck!

Witch. First song ”seer” is very catchy. The riff and the fuzz tone is hard to beat, if you like that style! Distortion at its best.

1 Like

I have actually emailed them in the past enquiring about sources used and got a reply (your right they have put out some good all analogue masterings such as the official Hendrix re issues) but unless they state otherwise they are I believe more often sourced from digital files ( The reply I recieved from MOV confirmed said they recieve and use 24/96 files) That’s not an issue for me as long as they sound good and are well pressed.
Record Industry pressings are among the very best ime.
If truth be told I believe most people cant really tell the difference blind between a well mastered HiRes source and analogue. This I conclude from the numerous debates/speculation over on another well known forum. Someone will be raving about the sound of a particular record, then asking whether its sourced from Analogue or Digital, if one cant tell from listening then at the end of the day does it really matter? (As long as the original analogue master where applicable is being preserved as the reference)
Cheers

2 Likes

Just arrived:

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (Tone Poet)

I’ve seen a lot of praise for the Tone Poet records, so I decided to give one a go. Looking forward to playing it tonight.

6 Likes

Hi Steve,
Hope your vinyl of Fat Pop is ok, sounded awful on the samples I heard (another member concurred), I posted a heads up on it here yesterday

4-LP Impulse! 60th anniversary set, number 1057 of an individually-numbered edition. Featuring the Coltranes (John AND Alice), Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders, Charles Mingus, Shirley Scott, Yusuf Lateef, Stanley Turrentine, Charlie Haden, Ahmad Jamal, Quincy Jones, Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Albert Ayler, Marion Brown, Dewey Redman, Earl Hines, Oliver Nelson, and John Handy. As well as the black stuff, you also get a book and an Impulse! slipmat.

It was over-priced, but it is absolutely gorgeous. Look forward to playing it later…

11 Likes

Looks lovely, Kev, and I’m sure will sound so.
I went for the CD set ( strict orders to cut back on LPs! ). Haven’t played it yet, but the Impulse Energy Essentials double LP was a major factor in turning my head on when I was but a sprout. I’ll love it, no doubt!

1 Like

I had my information regarding the sourcing from an interview with them, a couple of years back IIRC.
I agree with everything you say BTW, I’m not that bothered about the source being digital.

1 Like

John Coltrane - Blue Train, Blue Note 100th anniversary of Alfred Lion EMI, Japan (2008)

I’ve been after a decent copy of this for ages I currently have the Blue 75 (Average) and the Jazz at 33 (very good) so have high hopes for this it’s pretty rare only 5 copies on Discogs so quite sought after it would seem. So what the hell I splurged a full £20 note on it.

9 Likes

1 Like

The Band Music From Big Pink Millennium Edition
AAA (afaik) cut by Sean Magee. A companion for my pink vinyl remix - or indeed, a replacement!

Isis In The Absence Of Truth, Japanese release on red vinyl. My love for it is not Oceanic :wink: but still good to have on vinyl.

6 Likes

Will post on here when I can eventually power up again. Mine’s the red vinyl pre order and I’ve been following the comments with trepidation …
Really looking forward to the other two though …

1 Like

Really looking forward to this one laters

6 Likes