What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Visited the local to pick up two ordered records, walked out with seven! How can one resist.

Paul Weller - Fat Pop (I passed on the opportunity for the beautiful colour option and went for black in light of the forum’s feedback!)
JARV IS… Beyond The Pale
k.d.lang - Shadowland
Ultravox - Vienna cos it was $10 so why wouldn’t you

5 Likes

It is a good album, but I don’t think it is quite as sparkly as Masseduction. That new JARV IS… album is good too!

1 Like

A quick shout out to anyone baulking at the price of the lovely 4LP box set.

Price drop to £121.99 at Juno records, I think it’s worth it when you see the package/presentation

Impulse Records: Music Message And The Moment

:heart:

1 Like

I’ve decided that I must educate myself re Charlie Parker. So I bought five of the best-reviewed Bird’s Nest Centennial Edition reissues from last year: Now’s The Time, Jam Session, Bird And Diz, South Of The Border, and Jazz At Massey Hall.

6 Likes

I couldn’t resist buying this reissue of the classic Somethin’ Else. Glad I did as it’s really excellent. Only one gripe; why the cheap paper inner?? Horrible, and this one stuck to the LP like a limpet. At least it seems BN have seen the error of their ways as my most recent issues of Moanin’ and Soul Station now come in poly lined anti static inners.

13 Likes

Is it an Optimal pressing, iirc a there was a period where a lot of the BN80 series (pressed at Optimal) were so charged with static they were virtually welded into the sleeve and needed surgery to free the LP without scratching.
As you say thankfully they’ve now started using poly lined inners, probably in response to complaints.

1 Like

If after those your still not “getting it” the coloured discs and the sleeves will make a nice wall art collage

1 Like

Yes, pressed by optimal.

1 Like

Lovely Highlife from Ghana

3 Likes

I noticed this too: first released discs from Classic Series (from Sidewinder to Somethin’ Else) had really static clingy paper sleeves and I replaced with MoFi. The two or three 80 Anniversary I have (including Blue Train, European pressing) have a paper sleeve with artwork for other popular titles. Later Classics, including Moanin’, have poly-lined paper.

It’s not just you, Richard!

Regards alan

ps - sad that my copy of Soul Station is a bit dished; did not exchange as I was heading away for a while and it seemed to play fine; I had a worse dished copy of Page One that was successfully replaced. Fingers crossed for pre-order copies of Cool Struttin’ and Chicken Shack, due for release in a month. I don’t think I hear a great difference relative to the Tone Poets, but I do really like the upscale packaging on those (poly outer, poly liner (until now), and much nicer jacket quality of course)…

1 Like

Sounds great :blush:

It’s superb. I picked it up for £119 on Amazon. Well worth it.

1 Like

Enjoy, I think it’s a great set

Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse, Naim Records RE (2017)

Been after this excellent record on Naim’s own label for a couple of years it kept selling out so not sure when this reissue came out but regardless very happy to finally own it.

After a bit of Googling this reissue came out about 18 months ago.

s-01

9 Likes

Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny - Missouri Sky, Decca/Verve (2018)

Described as Short Stories this collection of beautifully simple tracks was recorded back in 1996 .

Another one I’ve been after for a while I bought this used copy with a slightly creased corner for a knockdown price.

8 Likes

Avishai Cohen’s new album, with extra tracks not found on the CD.

2 Likes

Milt Jackson & Ray Charles - Soul Brothers, Atlantic/Rhino (2021)

The promotional material states that it’s mastered from the original Analogue Tapes but not by who though judging on the usual standard of Rhino Reissues no doubt it will be very well done.

3 Likes

Be interested in your thoughts on that one when you get it :+1:

For anyone who’s interested in buying the Analogue Productions Kind of Blue UHQR, especially if they live in the UK. I had this on pre-order for £150, now it’s gone up to £180; a lot of places have it listed at £190-£200.

I just ordered it from the US Miles Davis official store (despatched 30th June) for $116 INCLUDING PRIORITY POSTAGE. That’s about £82! Even if you get stung by customs, it’s still about £80-£120 cheaper, so you can’t lose. You might have to wait a bit longer of course, but it’s worth it for the saving.

4 Likes

Thanks Kev
You have made my day I’ve just ordered a copy £83 I just couldn’t bring myself to buy one at £200 knowing the actual cost was only $100.

1 Like